cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Radeon Pro WX7100 on Dell Precision T7600 can't install Driver 18Q2.1 from 17Q4.1

Hi all,

I'm rocking a Dell T7600 Precision with 2xE5-2667 xeons, 64GB RAM (32GB per cpu), and Win 10 1709. I can't install the latest Radeon PRO enterprise drivers 18Q2.1.

The wizard will go through its initial processes and dialogue boxes (doesn't matter if I do a custom or express) and then start to install the drivers. The screen will go blank, which is expected, but then will not come out of that state indefinitely. After waiting for several minutes for there to be any change, I am forced to do a hard power off at the button. Then head to Safe Mode and use DDU to clean up the driver and then try the install again after another reboot. Same results. I try to remote desktop into the machine, but I can't see anything in the RDP window. I again do a hard power off after a while, head to safe mode, run DDU again, and re-install 17Q4.1, which installs just fine and makes it past the point where the screen goes blank while new driver installation is taking place.

Anyone else have these issues/have workarounds? I'm fine with sticking with 17Q4.1, but I don't think that's a solution to a problem that may plague me into the future of drivers.

0 Likes
15 Replies

Let's go ahead and bump this. Any one have similar experiences? I understand that the T7600 is a unique powerhouse with server components and perhaps not the most standard of workstations out there, but I don't think that makes a problem for earlier versions of the drivers to work and later drivers to fail.

0 Likes

The latest AMD Drivers usually work with the latest Version of Windows installed. Try upgrading your Windows 10 to version 1803 and see if the latest AMD Driver install correctly.

0 Likes

So, this sort of worked. I updated Windows to 1803. Clean uninstalled the old driver and attempted to install the new driver. Got the blank screen again and left it overnight. Came back in the morning and no change. I hard powered it down and missed getting into safe mode, so it booted back up and went to a blank screen again. I waited a little while then hard powered it down again. Then I powered it back up and missed safe mode again. This time, the display came up, and the driver version in the AMD Radeon Pro Settings>System>Overview tab says that it is 18.Q2.1, so I guess that's good enough for now!

0 Likes

I spoke too soon. A couple days later, my computer restarted with the blank screens again. I DDU'ed and then installed 17Q4 and I am running fine. Oh well.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear the problem came back. Almost seems like you have something in conflict with the GPU driver.

The best person to help is fswork​who knows the most about Professional AMD GPU cards.

Try contacting AMD Support via EMAIL SUPPORT and see what they recommend : Email Form .

0 Likes

Ok I emailed support. I think. I don't recall a confirmation after I filled out and submitted the form; it just reloaded the initial select your language drop down menu.

fsadough? it looks like you linked to fswork.

0 Likes

Yes, I made a typo when including fsadough​ name. He is the expert on Professional GPU Cards plus you also seem to have a Server or hybrid type server which complicates things.

Maybe if you post your question on this AMD Forum for Servers you might get some sort of answer or advice on what to do. : AMD Server Gurus

Yep, this T7600 is well suited for rendering and other things, but it isn't the run of the mill workstation. It's probably a bit much for my day to day operations, but I do enjoy running a virtual machine or two and not even feeling it.

I believe it is a server motherboard with a dual socket setup and RAM slots for both CPU sockets.

BTW, I do have the WX7100 placed in the primary blue PCI-E gpu slot, which is served by CPU1, and not in one of the secondary x16 slots.

0 Likes

I just tried 18Q3 Enterprise Win10 64bit drivers and same problem. I had to roll back to 17Q4.1.

I also used DDU in safe mode and uninstalled AMD drivers and did not restart. I then went into device manager and manually installed just the video driver by pointing to the AMD install directory for 18Q3. Rebooted. Video went blank at the login screen.

0 Likes

What version of Windows 10 do you have currently installed? According to AMD Download page here are the compatible Windows OSes: Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 18.Q3 Release Notes | AMD .

Compatible Operating Systems

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 18.Q3 is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

• Microsoft Windows® 10 (32-bit and 64-bit version RS4) <--------------- This is Windows 10 version 1803
  • Microsoft Windows® 7 (32-bit and 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)
  • Microsoft Windows® Server 2016 (64-bit version)
  • Microsoft Windows® Server 2008 R2 (64-bit version)

For Windows 10 17Q4.1, These are the compatible Windows OSes: Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Driver 17.Q4.1 Release Notes | AMD

Compatible Operating Systems
Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Driver 17.Q4.1 is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

• Microsoft Windows® 10 (32-bit and 64-bit version RS2)  <------------------ This is Windows 10 Version 1703
  • Microsoft Windows® 7 (32-bit and 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)
  • Microsoft Windows® Server 2016 (64-bit version)
  • Microsoft Windows® Server 2008 R2 (64-bit version)

0 Likes

I now have Windows 10 1803, and had it during the last install attempt.

0 Likes

I don't believe you have mentioned any AMD Installation Error Messages? Can you post the Error messages you are getting?

Maybe fsadough​ might be able to assist you.

He is the AMD that specializes in AMD PROFESSIONAL GPU issues. He may need to have more information on your computer and GPU card. If he should reply he will let you know what he needs to help you. here is an example of the type of information he may need:

Re: AMD W5100 Graphics card causing Microsoft Excel 2016 Crashes

fsadough

• What is your system BIOS version?
  • Which AMD driver did you install?
  • What is the Bios Part Number of the W5100, you can find it here:How are the monitors connected, cables and adapters?
    • Radeon Pro Settings => System => Hardware
  • Which inputs an the monitors are used?

There is a "Urgent " BIOS Update for the Dell T7600 from here : Support for Precision T7600 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US  (Maybe updating the BIOS will make the AMD Driver to install correctly).

Dell Precision T7600 System BIOS

BIOS19 Jul 2018 Download

Importance: Urgent

Version: A16 ,A16 Older versions

Release Date: 19 Jul 2018

File Name: T7600A16.exe

File size: 5.64 MB

Description: This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell Precision T7600 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.

Note: did you ever get a reply from AMD EMAIL SUPPORT?

0 Likes

Ah yes, I am on BIOS A16. I installed Driver version 17.Q4.1 and I have three Acer 27" K272HUL 2560x1440 monitors connected via display port. Two of the monitors are IPS and one is a TN with build in audio.

I copied the info below from the System tab in the Radeon Pro Settings app.

Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Software Version - 17.Q4.1

Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Software Edition - Radeon (TM) Pro Software Enterprise

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) Pro WX 7100 Graphics

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1243 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 64 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 0 @ 2.90GHz Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 0 @ 2.90GHz

I did get a response from AMD support, but unfortunately I deleted it and didn't find it in my outlook trash. I do think it was inconsequential, but I can't recall.

0 Likes

Hi Charles,

Please PM me your email address.

0 Likes

PM'ed.