Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dirthurt
Adept III

screen cutting out at high refresh rates and resolutions

Hi every,

So, I have this RX 580 8GB. New.

Problem is, the screen is cutting to black when I set the display to high refresh rates and resultions (above 1080/60 or so).

I've tried a new power supply, two driver versions, new displayport cables, and completely re-installing windows from scratch.

I just switched from another RX 580 4 gb that died, and never had this problem with my monitor (1440 p 144hz).

Keeping the resolution down to 1080p/60 seems to fix the problem, but obviously isn't a good solution.

Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

I actually did figure out the issue. It comes down to the XFX cards that Best Buy carries being just terrible. I don't know if they're bottom of the barrel binned or what, but each card I tried that blacked out in the 70's of degrees (often low 70's). I found that by underclocking the GPU and increasing fan speeds, I could keep it under 70 and the issues stopped. I returned these cards, as underclocking a card to keep it alive isn't a good solution.

I switched to a Powercolor Red Dragon that I saw on Newegg and the issues are completely gone. It also runs much cooler and is just as quiet.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21 Replies
dirthurt
Adept III

Just an update,

I've tried everything i can think of. I've swapped the video card with another (same model), swapped the motherboard, tried either stick of ram solo, pulled all other components, re-installed windows from scratch again, and still the problem persists.

Temperatures are great.

Anyone? This thing is driving me bonkers.

0 Likes

1. Is ALL of your other hardware/cables the same as when you were using the other video card that died?

2. Do you know what caused your old video card to die? Do you know whatever caused your card to die didn't damage your monitor(ie. surge)?

Just a couple ideas to shoot your way. Hope it helps stir the thought.

0 Likes

I'm currently using the same cables, but I did try two other DP cables and an HDMI, along every connection that I have. The issue was still there so I just went back to the original ones I was using.

Not exactly sure what killed the old one. It just started crashing a lot in games. I did consider that the graphics card might have damaged the monitor, but I just can't get my head around why the monitor would black out on in games, unless the Windows Desktop doesn't refresh at the same rate. Anyone know anything about that?

The tricky part about testing the monitor is I can't find one locally to try, and funds are limited at this point after buying a GPU :/

0 Likes

What monitor is it and did you search around for similar reporting on the same or similar model? I remember years ago I ran into a similar issue and it turns out that the monitor I was using was just prone to failing after around 2 years of normal use. Sure enough, I had been using it for about 25 months and I started having issues.

Easiest and quickest way to troubleshoot this is with another monitor, any other monitor, to see if the problem carries over.

0 Likes

I have tried, but it's a very new monitor and little is really known about it.

It's a rebranded Crossover monitor from Monoprice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31004

Were you getting an issue at only higher resolutions also? That's the part that gets me. I've never heard of this before.

0 Likes

No, this was quite some time ago, before 1080p was even standardized for monitors... just a general observation.

I'm not familiar with the monitor you're using but reviews are middle of the road and it is possible that you just got a dud. Is there any sort of support that you can contact? This is why I bring up trying another display, or even a TV, just to rule out the card as the culprit. If you cannot reproduce the issue on another monitor, then I wouldn't hesitate to file an RMA and return it while you can.

0 Likes

Good points.

I've actually tried another card (Both XFX RX 580 8gb cards though), and they both exhibited the same problem. Both brand new, tried a few versions of the drivers.

I had considered it was a compability issue between the two devices (card and monitor) but that would seem pretty unlikley wouldn't it? I'm not super familiar with video signals, but I would think all signals would all be the same, minus some malfunction. No one else that I could find mentioned blackouts with the series of cards.

The weird part is I did try another computer with the monitor via HDMI and couldn't get the issue to come up. But, it was an Nvidia card. It could be a freeysnc thing not working.

0 Likes

All video signals are certainly not the same but if the hardware isn't working properly that's typically where I would start changing some variables and experimenting if there is time to do so. If not, then I'd recommend notifying the seller or manufacturer for RMA instructions. It could also be something like a faulty power adapter or simply a inverter issue, since it's a TN type display.

Once drivers are installed FreeSync, when enabled, should produce no abnormal display behavior unless it's being locally overridden somehow. FreeSync is just AMD's version of adaptive sync, which is a feature that is embedded into the monitor's design, so drivers play a fairly passive role in the final result of the video feed.

0 Likes

Thanks for that info.

I went ahead and ordered another monitor, this time with a well known/reputable brand. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-agon-gaming-27-lcd-qhd-freesync-monitor-black-red/5451410.p?skuId=5...

Hopefully this will do the trick. If the issue happens with this one, I'm out of ideas.

I'll try to hook the computer up to my 4k TV today just to see what happens, but that will take a little effort.

0 Likes

O.K. I just don't know anymore.

I tired another monitor, the issue somehow persists.

How is this even possible?

0 Likes

Do you have specifications or a link to the product page for the cables you're using. I realize you said it was working on the other card, but if you tried another monitor, and are using the native resolutions for those monitors in your settings, I'm sorry but it sounds like your cables.

Are you absolutely certain you were using the same resolution and refresh rate as your old video card? And when you answered my question earlier, you said you were using the same cables. I asked if EVERYTHING else besides the old card was the same, or was it all the same before you started swapping other parts and formatted windows?

0 Likes

I don't have any links to the cables sadly. Two are brand new (HDMI and DP both came with the monitor). Another DP is from Dell, and another HDMI was, I think, and Insignia one that I got in a pack that works fine with a PS4 Pro (4K HDR). So, surely all those cables aren't all bad.

It was definitely the same resolutions, except when I just tested on my TV. That was 4K 60 fps. Same issue there.

The only two parts i haven't swapped out at this point are the Ryzen 1700 and Corsair Ripjaws Ram. I've swapped mobo, PSU, removed all components (USB, PCI, etc).

Both keep passing my tests... Prime 95 and Memtest, but it just has to be one of those, unless XFX as a brand has an issue (both the cards I've tried were XFX RX 580s).

0 Likes

1. Have you installed the monitor driver?

2. If you're using HDMI, makes sure it's plugged into the second HDMI port, as that's the only one that supports 144Hz. I'm guessing you've tried DP also, which should support it as well, but just checking).

0 Likes

Strangely, there doesn't seem to be a driver for this monitor. Not that I can find. Tried the Windows update method also with no luck.

The same issue happened on a 4K TV at 60hz, so i'm not sure that's it.

yeah, same issue on HDMI and DP.

Did find one thing. Switching the "high performance" power plan changes the issue a bit. Instead of just a black screen, I'm getting "no signal".

Does this mean anything to anyone?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

The issue is definitely still happening on my TV.

The only things I haven't tried swapping are the CPU and the ram.

Neither of which sounds right to me, but which is more likely?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

O.K.

So, the plot thickens. Testing more games, Doom, Dark Souls 3, and Quantum break, none of these games have the problem.

However, Warframe, and Quake Champions does.

Also, the issue is happening with more resolutions than I realized. Even 1080p/60 in Warframe will do it on occasion.

So...probably not a hardware thing. It has to be something software.

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

So, I finally figured it out.

The latest driver was reporting the temperatures a bit on the generous side.I went all the way back to 16.7.1 I think it was, and the temperatures read much different. I found that I was actually hitting around 79-81 degrees, and every time it would hit this range it would black out.

Fan curves and target temps later and now I'm able to keep from blacking out, by limiting my temperature to nothing higher than 75 degrees (which seems really low to be blacking out).

Is this low enough that I should consider it defective, or should I just roll with that?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

nevermind, the issue came back.

I tried swapping with yet another card (same model as it's the only option I have locally) and the option still persists.

I can't decide if it's an issue with this model card (heat management issues perhaps), or maybe something with the processor or ram? It seems like the processor and ram would cause some other issue also though, so not likely.

0 Likes

You haven't mentioned what program you are using to configure your AMD GPU Card.

Have you tried using AMD WATTMAN to configure your resolutions and power requirements?  Here is tutorial about Wattman : How to Tune GPU Performance Using Radeon Wattman and Radeon Chill .

I have read that you need to configure the RX 5xx series cards to be more stable.

Note: be sure that you uninstall any 3rd party GPU controllers like MSI Afterburner. They tend to not be totally compatible with AMD Wattman.

0 Likes

Have you overclocked your card?

Perhaps heat has damaged your card?

Are you still having issues?

Just a couple ideas to float...

0 Likes

Hi,

I actually did figure out the issue. It comes down to the XFX cards that Best Buy carries being just terrible. I don't know if they're bottom of the barrel binned or what, but each card I tried that blacked out in the 70's of degrees (often low 70's). I found that by underclocking the GPU and increasing fan speeds, I could keep it under 70 and the issues stopped. I returned these cards, as underclocking a card to keep it alive isn't a good solution.

I switched to a Powercolor Red Dragon that I saw on Newegg and the issues are completely gone. It also runs much cooler and is just as quiet.

0 Likes