cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

retrospek
Journeyman III

Which processors work for the "Boot Kit"?

I run a small computer store, and I've seen a few 2400G processors so far, that luckily have worked out of the box with the motherboards.  Rather than have to get a loaner each time if I need to flash the BIOS, what processor(s) are being included in the Boot Kit from AMD?  I'd like to know, in case if I have one laying around, I'll keep it aside for that purpose, or if I need to, I'll order one, and provide that service for my customers.  Note, it might not necessarily be the 2400G, but any of the second gen AM4 with integrated graphics and could be a few different motherboards (MSI, ASUS, BioStar, Gigabyte, etc.).

Thanks for any information on this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

found this website: AMD Offers Loaner CPUs In ‘Boot Kits’ For Motherboard Updates Supporting New Ryzen APUs | HotHardwar...

Copied from above link:

Reports indicate that this boot kit includes a dual-core A6-9500 CPU and a heatsink of some sort. AMD apparently wants the CPU back but doesn’t want to bother with the heatsink, so you get to keep it or toss it in the trash

Another website that also says the type of APU the boot kit comes with: AMD will lend you an older processor to update your BIOS to support a Ryzen APU | PC Gamer :

Copied from above link:

If you happen to own an AM4 motherboard that will not boot or allow you to update the BIOS to support the Ryzen 3 2200G or Ryzen 5 2400G, you can request a boot kit from AMD. These kits consists of older Bristol Ridge APUs—a dual-core A6-9500, according to Arstechnica.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

found this website: AMD Offers Loaner CPUs In ‘Boot Kits’ For Motherboard Updates Supporting New Ryzen APUs | HotHardwar...

Copied from above link:

Reports indicate that this boot kit includes a dual-core A6-9500 CPU and a heatsink of some sort. AMD apparently wants the CPU back but doesn’t want to bother with the heatsink, so you get to keep it or toss it in the trash

Another website that also says the type of APU the boot kit comes with: AMD will lend you an older processor to update your BIOS to support a Ryzen APU | PC Gamer :

Copied from above link:

If you happen to own an AM4 motherboard that will not boot or allow you to update the BIOS to support the Ryzen 3 2200G or Ryzen 5 2400G, you can request a boot kit from AMD. These kits consists of older Bristol Ridge APUs—a dual-core A6-9500, according to Arstechnica.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for the links and information, greatly appreciated.

0 Likes