cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amplighter
Adept III

Question About Pre-Built Computer Wattage

We're in the market for a new computer. But after reseaching the computer We're interested in has a Radeon RX 550 video card which requires 50watts of power to function correctly. The computer has a 300watt power supply, yet AMD's site recommends that the RX 550 utilize a 400watt power supply. Mind you this computer is pre-built & I'm sure they have taken this into consideration. Does anyone foresee any issues with this set up?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Prebuilt systems aren't designed to be upgraded, so they use the bare minimum they're designed for using, usually, the lowest priced components. AMD recommends higher wattages to take into account upgrading systems as well as the fact there are -a lot- of "Chinese Firecracker" PSUs out there that carry a rating well in excess of their capabilities. 300w on a low end system not meant for gaming shouldn't be any problem at all.

0 Likes

Evening, here is what I've just been told by the computer manufacture via their forums.

RX 550 2GB has 896 Shader Processing Units and isn't a 400-watt gpu...but typically no, you should not buy a gaming card with a 300-watt power supply Hope this helps.

Also, just so you know, the system includes an AMD ryzen5 prossesor, which uses 65watts plus the Radeon RX 550 which uses 50watts on a 300watt "power gaming" pc.

They lso tell me and I realize that they would not be in business if they create a or have not tested this computer thoroughly.  I just find it hard to understand why AMD suggests a 400watt power supply for the RX 550 when the computer manufacture uses a 300watt power supply.

I'd really like to hear from an official AMD rep on this. So why list a video card with a "recommendation" of 400watts yet the computer manufacture uses a 300watt power supply instead.

Last bit of info here, yesterday evening, another Computer rep sent me more information is reference to my question. This tech rep says that because the mother board has been designed via the TDP process it can handle the RX 550 graphics card without an additional power outlet or power connector. If this all makes my sense.

0 Likes

amdmatt we're moments away from order our new computer and we just need your advice on my comments above.

Help me understand why your AMD RX 550 graphics card recommends a 400 watt power supply, yet the computer manufacture (which will remain nmeless) offers a pre-built computer with your graphics card installed. yet their power supply is only 300 watts. Should I be concerned by this?

0 Likes