Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lioninstreet
Journeyman III

Card to run 38 inch widescreen

I have kind of an odd scenario.

In anticipation of building a new system, I just got a 38" Acer xr382cqk 3840 x 1600 free sync wide screen monitor. Gaming is not important to me and I will be using it primarily for multi web page browsing and work purposes (no heavy graphics uses). Some might think I'm crazy as a non-gamer, non-editor to run a monitor like this just to get two screens off my desk, but it is what it is. I don't overclock either so I really don't need a unlocked or high end chip, but I do need to multitask. And don't forget Netflix at 1080p

So what I need to ask advise on is, will a monitor 3840 x 1600 monitor run with graphics on chip CPU (like a Ryzen 5 or UHD Graphics 630).  Or if not, what is the lowest level GPU I would need for my uses?  It seems that most are recommending a 4(5)60 or a 4(5)70 at 4gb but I'm thinking I really don't need that much card since I don't plan on gaming.

Should I go for a card like this or ??

0 Likes
4 Replies
amplighter
Adept III

I'm assuming that you would be searching for a 4K video card. Currently NVIDIA GeForce GTX series cards seem to be you best option. The 780 can handle 4096x2160 according to Nvidia's site.

0 Likes

Thanks for the advice amplighter. I'm presuming you don't feel the extra refresh rate I would get by using an AMD card (monitor uses Free-sync) would make for an easier to view image in my application.

On another note I was looking at AMD's blog on the  Ryzen 2400g and it seems to be alluding to it running 4k. While I'm sure that in gaming the fps would be quite slow, I have to wonder how that would translate into watching 1080p on Netflix...

0 Likes

Just so everyone knows I'm not here to discredit AMD products, I was merely suggesting that a 4K graphics card be used in this instance. Which card is selected it totally up to the those who have done their research. In fact, I'm more at home with an Intel graphics system that an AMD or Nvinda system. But I'm hoping this will change with the purchase of our next AMD supported computer.

Also, I tend to set my video settings lower than most and do not require a massive amount of memory or refresh rate to alchive my goal.

0 Likes
lioninstreet
Journeyman III

Anyone? Anyone?

0 Likes