Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

searching1
Journeyman III

Amd-V on ryzen3?

Hi,

Im using ryzen3 and i would like to ask how to enable amdv? Not sure if theres other term, Im new with this cpu.

I enabled sdm under mit>advance cpu like most of the comments, but when i try to enable the “intelv/amdv” option on my vmware it is greyout means Virtualization is not enable.

Thank you

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

searching1, I assume you are talking about SVM (Secure Virtual Machine).  Please open your UEFI - Advanced - Processor Settings and enable SVM.  I have an ASRock MB and use it to run Hyper-V.  Your names may be a little different.  If you have more questions, please post your system specifications.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi Misterj, Thank for your response....

Mistyped SVM, I have enabled SVM (Under MIT tab, then Advanced Frequency Settings and then Advanced Core settings). But still on my vmware workstation "IntelV/amdV checkbox option is greyout. 

0 Likes

searching1, that sounds like the correct settings, but you gave no more information on your system.  If you are running W10, then I suggest you try Hyper-V.  It has been some time since I used VMware but at the time it had a utility that examined these settings and let you know what was needed.SVM.jpg

If you are not running W10, I probably cannot help, since I know almost nothing about Linux.  Check your task manager, as above.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I suggest you post on the VMware forums.

0 Likes

Hi Misterj,

Heres what im currently using.

- Gigabyte B350 Gaming Wifi Mini ITX

- Ryzen 3 1200

- Primary OS Ubuntu

Tom, I'll check it on OS side and update here.

Thank you

0 Likes

searching1, I do not know what this means: "Tom, I'll check it on OS side and update here."  Can you boot W10?  I checked the manual and it looks like you set the correct setting in the BIOS.  I assume you did a Save and Exit.  You might try a "Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS.  SVM is supposed to be the default.  Perhaps a Linux person can tell tell you how to inquire the SVM setting in Linux.  Enjoy, john.

0 Likes

What GPU card do you have installed?

Here is the AMD Linux drivers Ubuntu using a AMD GPU Card: AMDGPU-Pro 17.40 Driver for Linux® .

Found this thread on how to enable or install Visualization feature on Ubuntu Linux OS: Ubuntu Installation · bemoss/BEMOSS3.5 Wiki · GitHub .

This from the latest Ubuntu version and all it features : https://linuxconfig.org/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux :

Copied from above link:

Install Virtualization Software

Virtualization software creates a virtual version of something. This can be, for example, a virtual computer hardware, storage device or a computer network resource. Two of the most known virtualization software are VirtualBox and VMware Workstation.

VirtualBox on Ubuntu 18.04
VirtualBox on Ubuntu 18.04

Instructions on how to install VirtualBox and VMware Workstation on Ubuntu 18.04:

0 Likes