cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

greenstheorem
Journeyman III

Instruction Based Sampling broken for Threadripper?

Hi,

It seems like µProf is not able to perform IBS with a Threadripper CPU.

The application gets stuck at "Translating Raw File" (one core is at 100%, but even after an hour, there is no progress).

I'm testing a Matrix-Vector multiplication, however also CodeXL seems to fail when trying to process the IBS events.

µProf Version: 1.2.275.0

CPU: Threadripper 1950X @ ASUS Zenith Extreme

I enabled IBS in BIOS (Zen Common Options).

Furthermore, I am interested in further information about Ryzen architecture (I'm developing high performance scientific/engineering simulation apllications) - who do I need to contact to get access (devhub?)

Cheers!

0 Likes
4 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Robin,

You need prior authorization from AMD account representatives to create an account at devhub.

For μProf related support, I'm moving this thread to AMD Server Gurus  community.

Regards,

0 Likes
mgbaskar
Staff

Hi,

We are working on reducing the processing time to process the raw profile data on Linux and will be addressed in the next release of uProf.

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

Even with very short execution times of the application (About 0.5s), the processing does not complete in a finite time - Are you sure this is just a processing time problem?

Are there any beta-tester opportunities?

0 Likes

Hi there,

If you're still having trouble with this, but you are interested in using IBS to profile your application while you wait for updates to AMD's official applications, may want to check out the AMD Research IBS Toolkit. This mechanism does not have the same feature set as uProf, but it may let you learn some more about your application's IBS traces.

0 Likes