cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

blackmaninc
Adept II

Can under volting cause a game to crash?

:hmm:​​​​​This is my typical set up on all of my games. I have states 6 & 7 set to the same voltage as state 5. Would this cause my PC to crash and do a hard reboot due to lack of power at all? I'm not overclocking at all except with Mass Effect Andromeda, and that's only because the game is such an un-optimized pile of garbage that I was practically forced to.

0 Likes
13 Replies

Yes it can.

0 Likes

Ok, it makes me wonder if I have the right power supply. I think I do, I just don't feel like opening up the case to find out. It lately has only crashed consistently in one game called Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. On the very last level after I defeat the last boss (think its the last boss) and it switches to a cut scene, the PC crashes every single time, without fail. I'll try changing the voltage to its default settings and see what happens.

0 Likes

You can stress it with AIDA64's stability test, and watch your +12v voltage to ensure it doesn't drop below 12v (though 11.9v is technically in tolerance levels, some equipment is more sensitive), though I don't think it's your PSU else you'd see errors in CPU intensive tasks that aren't games.

0 Likes

So if its possibly not the PSU, then what could be the other culprits? I don't know a ton about PC's, but it seems like I've tried almost everything short of opening up the case myself or taking it to Best Buy's Geek Squad.

0 Likes

Well you shouldn't be undervolting to start with.

0 Likes

No? Well I only did it because others have been saying it helps keep the heat in check. It also seems to help keep a steady frame rate somehow, although I'm not so sure about that. But really, Mass Effect 4 was the only real reason why I started tampering with this stuff to start with.The game cashed my PC almost every time I started the sequence in traveling to another star system, plus the game ran sluggish at times even when nothing heavy was happening on screen. It hasn't crashed since I overclocked the memory speed and changed my Monitor's refresh rate to 59.

0 Likes

That's what Frame Rate Target Control is for.

0 Likes

Ok, I reset the voltage to stock value and the game STILL crashed. Maybe the game isn't well optimized, but I'm out of options at this point.

0 Likes

Hi,

Could you please supply system specs information?

Have you verified the game files and the windows installation?

Thanks.

Bye.

0 Likes

Windows 10

Make: HP

Model: 500-267c

8 GB ram with 2 slots

AMD RX 470

I7-4790K

0 Likes

Not sure what you mean by verifying the game files. What files are you referring to?

0 Likes

Hi,

If you are running Mass Effect Andromeda on Origin for example you run repair as shown in the menu below.

pastedImage_0.png

Bye.

0 Likes

Well, Mass Effect 4 hasn't crashed on me in months. Its primarily 'Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak' on Steam that's been crashing. Also, every once in a while, my screen will just randomly cut off to a black screen. It didn't matter what game I was playing. I changed the voltage back to its stock value for all games, so I'll see if it does that again.

0 Likes