cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

el_arantis
Adept III

HD 7950 core gpu clock underperforming

I would like to ask the community or any AMD admin the following problem that a close friend of mine faces:

Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X with boost (core 950MHz - memory 1250MHz) clock underperforming.

After restart or at desktop apps core 300MHz - memory 150Mhz which is normal

The problem is that in games or when a benchmark is running memory goes to 1250MHz but the core speed stays at 501MHz!!!

Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance!!

System specifications:

Windows 10 Pro x64 RS4 fully updated

M/B Asrock 970 Extreme4 latest bios - latest drivers installed for everything

CPU AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz - 4.2GHz Turbo Core (stock)

Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X with boost (core 950MHz - memory 1250MHz)

G.Skill DDR3 Trident-X 1866MHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) 8-9-9-24-2N (XMP enabled)

Crucial SSD 525GB

PSU CoolerMaster 600W

0 Likes
5 Replies

The core speed will not jump to it's max. It is dynamic and does so based on load. If it is not working as it should. Do a clean install of the driver. You run the driver installer, choose custom, not express and pick clean install. If this easy approach does not fix things. Run DDU from safe mode and reinstall the driver. You can do that first if you don't mind a little extra time and hassle. Make sure your performance profile is on high performance in Windows too.

0 Likes

First of all thank you for replying!! Really!!

Well, I always use DDU every time I install new drivers.

The performance profile is set to Balanced.

I installed Windows 10 last week. I did not had any problem with windows 8.1.

Concerning clocks I use gpuz and used log to file option to see what happens in games.

501MHz core & 1250MHz memory are clocks when videos are playing on YouTube

I used WoT new engine benchmark and my results are really bad because core speed stays low.

I will try high performance profile too.

Is anything else that comes to your mind to help?

Thank you once again!

0 Likes

Honestly other than doing a clean install of Windows 10 nothing comes to mind to fix your issue. Are you on Windows 1803?

0 Likes

Yes

0 Likes

You might try some older drivers to see if that fixes things first I would probably go back to 18.4.1 and give that a try first.

0 Likes