cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mrpig
Journeyman III

Trying to work out right now if motherboard is dead on arrival. If it is, do I need to replace the CPU?

As the title says. Trying to work out if I need to replace the motherboard cause it's not booting up. If I end up having to replace it do I need to replace the CPU too. I'm a noob, sorry and thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies

First you need to give the following computer information as per AMD Forum rules: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION .

Second Depending on what CPU/APU and Motherboard you have, it may not be a DOA Motherboard.

For example:

If you are trying to install something like a second generation Ryzen like the Ryzen 2xxx series on a motherboard with the wrong BIOS installed, it won't boot up. In this case, You would need to contact AMD Support to send you a BOOT KIT which includes an older Ryzen CPU so that the computer will boot up so you can update the BIOS to one that will make the new Ryzen CPU will work.

Third you must be sure that the CPU/APU and RAM MEMORY are listed in the Motherboard's QVL List.  The CPU/APU QVL list will indicate what minimum version BIOS you need for the CPU/APU to work on your motherboard.

Until you give us the MAKE & MODEL of the CPU/APU and Motherboard and Current Windows installed it will be difficult to answer your question.

0 Likes

Thanks for your help! I'll go through those. Appreciate the help. Will follow-up if I have trouble.

0 Likes