cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft Kills Forum Support for Windows 7, 8.1, Various Other Products

According to a new message posted by Michelle Mad, “Effective July 2018, the Microsoft Community forums listed below will shift support scope and Microsoft staff will no longer provide technical support there. There will be no proactive reviews, monitoring, answering or answer marking of questions.” Forums will still be monitored for abusive content, but no other form of curation will be provided.

This announcement applies to the following forums:

• Windows 7, 8.1, 8.1 RT
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Internet Explorer 10
  • Office 2010, 2013
  • Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface RT, Surface 2
  • Microsoft Band – this topic will be locked. Users are invited to participate in Microsoft Band 2 topic.
  • Mobile devices forum – Microsoft support will continue in “Other Windows mobile devices” topic
  • Zune – this topic will be locked, but will remain available for browsing

Microsoft Kills Forum Support for Windows 7, 8.1, Various Other Products - ExtremeTech

0 Likes
4 Replies

I can understand stopping Support for all those devices and OS that you mentioned except Windows 7 which is still widely used in the wild. At least until January 14, 2020.

Microsoft instead should have a Microsoft Legacy Forum to help those Users still using out-dated Microsoft software and hardware. 

Luckily there are many support forums that are very good, if not in ways, much better than theirs anyway. But I really hate this trend we are in of dropping support for still supported OS's. Now MS is doing it to there OWN? Seems to support a bad precedent IMHO.

0 Likes

I imagine this is Microsoft's strategy in forcing Users in purchasing new Microsoft Software & Hardware.  If it is not supported then Users will need to upgrade the software/hardware to make it compatible with each new version of Windows 10 that comes out.

0 Likes

Sounds like a likely assessment to me. I think they also know they are squeezing that last bit of blood out of the Windows turnip. With their embracement of open source themselves. I definitely see the desktop moving in that direction and Microsoft seems to be moving in the AI direction more and more. Even their new GPU strategy is likely to lean towards data center and AI usage.

0 Likes