Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

aerozord
Journeyman III

updated driver for R9 380 now my PC wont boot

Radeon R9 380

Windows 7 64bit

Intel i7

While watching a video my screen suddenly went green.  Audio was still playing but I couldn't seem to use keyboard inputs as well.  I restarted and it failed to get to homescreen.  After shutting it off for awhile I got it to run till it offered up the option to repair, attempted a system restore but it kept saying it failed but it did seem to eventually succeed despite the error.

Got it back on, tried loading a video on youtube, same crash.  Decided to try and update drivers.  Loaded it up, selected clean install.  Windows boots up for a second, green screen then nothing.  I couldn't get it to turn on at all after that.  I turn it on, computer powers up, but thats it.  The screen is black and both my mouse and keyboard remain unpowered.  I hear nothing to indicate windows booted.

Upon removing the R9 I was able to boot up the computer normally.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Sound like your GPU card is bad. One of the best methods to see if your GPU card is bad is by installing it on another computer. If you get the same problem then most likely your card went bad.

Try installing a older previous AMD driver to eliminate driver problem. If you get the same issue, bad card.

When you removed the card and the computer booted up is a good indication the card has some sort of problem with it. With the GPU card installed, when you start the computer do you hear any sort of Beeps or sequence of Beeps?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies

Sound like your GPU card is bad. One of the best methods to see if your GPU card is bad is by installing it on another computer. If you get the same problem then most likely your card went bad.

Try installing a older previous AMD driver to eliminate driver problem. If you get the same issue, bad card.

When you removed the card and the computer booted up is a good indication the card has some sort of problem with it. With the GPU card installed, when you start the computer do you hear any sort of Beeps or sequence of Beeps?

0 Likes

I wasn't able to try other drivers.  I tried but it said there wasn't a card detected so it wouldn't install them and if the card is plugged in I cant get the computer to boot at all

0 Likes

Keeps looking like a bad GPU card. Take the card out and see if there is any physical damage showing. Like burnt tracings or loose caps etc. Try reinstalling the GPU Card in a different PCIex16 x8 or higher slot in case the motherboard slot is defective.

The BIOS should Beep coded beeps if the GPU card is not being seen while booting up. Try a different GPU card, if it boots up and works means the other card is bad.

What make & model is the GPU Card and is it still under Warranty?

Note: I wonder if the GPU card is shorting out the PSU since you mentioned that you have no power to your mouse of keyboard. Is anything working when you boot up with gpu card installed, like CPU fan, or GPU Fan or case fans?

Does your motherboard have any troubleshooting LEDs when something goes wrong while booting up?

0 Likes

Its a problem I've had with my mouse and keyboard before of them not booting, its a known issue to me.  Everything does turn on but it just wont boot.  Even the GPUs fan turns on.  Unfortunately I cant test the slot.  Its a two slot card and my only other PCI slot doesn't have the spare room.  I'd like to try it in another PC but I just dont have one to test it in.

Warranty sadly expired a few months ago which is extra irritating.

0 Likes

Its a code signature problem in 1803, all the Win10 builds had the problem just 1803 decided to break key components to it. Were as you normally would install your drivers and windows would check or signed packages, if there was problem you would be notified, now it just install drivers counting on the user to know to add them to the (verifier) but it didnt.

So your PC goes through the 7 point sig boot checks, see's the signatures that isnt apart of WRP and fails to boot without any rollback drivers to fall back onto to get you back online

Windows Resource Protection works by registering for notification of file changes in WinLogin .If any changes are detected to a protected system file IE you installed new drivers removing the ones that DID boot , the modified file is restored from a cached copy located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache

In your case you have nothing to restore.... So my suggestion is, Turn On Legacy BOOT OPTIONS so the next time this happens you can press F8 to get to SafeMode the old fashion way .Something else that was replaced by the WinRE Environment, the big blue Recovery Screen that WinRE <<<<<

0 Likes

but I have win 7

0 Likes

Oop's my mistake. If thats the case on Win7  ... that OS is no different anymore, they had to add patch updates to allow Win10 upgrades, and is Defunc. Non-supported OS now like XP

I think you will be able to use Win8/8.1  up to 2026 without any real issues, but unless your installing Windows-7 and then installing everything manually to get to it to run you will have more problems than if you were on Windows-10 .

You should try to install windows-10 , see if your problems go away, the OS the card was made for, i think they started unlocking cards at the 500 series , but they dont make legacy drivers for them . See my point.

You didnt list all your hardware or if your custom build, Which board, ill look up what should go on Win7 for it. I got the time.

Microsoft publises note for each cumulitive update, they long-list defuc components Microsoft will never send / install ever again . Find you missing components / frameworks to get your hardware to run correctly, you will solve your problem.

Run  windows udate, when you see your hardware , install it. Thats the only way Microsoft can get the legacy features to install and configure. Its been that way for over 10 years, Win7 was the worst. Alot of times updates would just break fail to install and stay in a pending state listing as installed.

Everytime you connect to internet on Windows Vista+ they see it, Reminda me, your going to have to install all the XP/Vista and Win7 by hand which is most likely the case. People cant clean install drivers on Win7 because of it, that's why we are all Win10 if not Win10 your something ekse through VM or UNIX.

Find a Coders Paradise online an post your error logs, sensitive data to total stargers dealing with Win7.

If i had known this was a Win7 topic, i would have passed on posting here.

0 Likes
aerozord
Journeyman III

I popped in a new card and it works without issue.  Somewhat disappointed since its not quite as good and 230 out of pocket but sometimes a part is just fried.

0 Likes

Well, at least you a have a working computer again.

Keep the card and when you have a chance install it in another computer to be double sure the card is bad. Same exact symptoms in another computer will validate a bad card.

LoL, I really feel for you. That happened to me on more than one occasion where the Warranty expired either in the same month or within a couple of months before the hardware went bad.

I have been seeing a few Users in the past two months seeing their R9 3xx/R9 series card go bad. It could be just a coincidence or maybe there's a flaw in the design of the card that breaks down with the latest AMD Drivers. just my observation and guessing.

0 Likes
jugg1319
Journeyman III

I'm actually literally have the same problems this guy is having. I managed to boot up my computer before it could go to the green screen and have enough time to remove the drivers from the Device Manager and everything is running perfectly fine. The issue has to be some drivers and amd needs to fix this because it's not the card.

0 Likes

Except in the OPS case, the computer wouldn't even boot up with the bad card in. Without the card the computer starts to boot up.

Your case is different then his in that respect. Your computer still boots up with the GPU card installed his doesn't.

0 Likes

it did initially but then it stopped entirely.  I don't know if the glitch with the driver could have caused a physical problem or damaged the firmware but its hard to tell since I cant really troubleshoot

0 Likes