Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

grimmute
Adept I

Wraith Prism is making a buzzing sound since day 1

Hello there,

I have recently built a new gaming rig and been having problems with my Wraith Prism since the first day. The Wraith Prism stock cooler is making a buzzing sound even on idle (1500-1600 rpm) I'm not sure if it is supposed to sound like that. I have an ASRock Taichi X470 with the latest BIOS installed. I have also checked the BIOS settings. Right now I'm using the Silent profile on BIOS as the noise is very irritating. It gets much more irritating on higher RPM.

Is my fan defected or is it supposed to sound like that?

1 Solution

Sounds like it might be defective. What concerns me is that the buzzing sound could be a precursor to the Wraith fan breaking down and eventually causing the CPU to overheat. If the noise is that loud and enough to annoy you, I would recommend and replace it with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which can be used on AM4 Motherboards and CPUs. It cost less than 35.00 US Dollars in most places unless your Computer case is too small for that type of CPU Cooler. I recently replaced my CPU Cooler on my FX 8350 CPU with the Hyper 212 EVO and it has been working like a charm.

Anyways, Before installing a new CPU Cooler, make sure it is recommended by AMD to maintain your Warranty on the Ryzen (?).

Or put in a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST form and see if AMD will send you a new Wraith Prism for your CPU since it came with it when you purchased the CPU. AMD Warranty Request Form

View solution in original post

7 Replies

This website reviewed the Wraith Prism and says it is a noisier CPU Coolers than others: ardOCP: AMD Wraith Prism CPU Air Cooler Review .

Did you physically try to isolate the buzzing sound and it was coming from the CPU Cooler (Wraith Prism)?  It is possible that the bearings on the Wraith might be going bad causing the buzzing sound or the Wraith is not properly installed tightly on the CPU.

Just to point out some Hardware components like GPUs and PSUs sometimes generate a buzzing sound. That is why I mentioned about physically isolating the sound to the Wraith Prism. It could be coming from the GPU or PSU.

0 Likes

I know normally it should be a little bit louder. I don't have a problem with the "noise" it makes. But mine makes a vibrating, buzzing sound. I have checked the cooler again, seems to be fitted correctly. I isolated the issue, the buzzing comes from the CPU cooler and is even worse on high RPM setting. Right now I'm using the low switch and even on idle, it's buzzing and annoys me so much. I just wonder if I have a defected unit or is it normally like this.

0 Likes

Sounds like it might be defective. What concerns me is that the buzzing sound could be a precursor to the Wraith fan breaking down and eventually causing the CPU to overheat. If the noise is that loud and enough to annoy you, I would recommend and replace it with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which can be used on AM4 Motherboards and CPUs. It cost less than 35.00 US Dollars in most places unless your Computer case is too small for that type of CPU Cooler. I recently replaced my CPU Cooler on my FX 8350 CPU with the Hyper 212 EVO and it has been working like a charm.

Anyways, Before installing a new CPU Cooler, make sure it is recommended by AMD to maintain your Warranty on the Ryzen (?).

Or put in a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST form and see if AMD will send you a new Wraith Prism for your CPU since it came with it when you purchased the CPU. AMD Warranty Request Form

Thank you. I'll fill in the form.

0 Likes
pyarb15
Journeyman III

I am wondering if maybe I have the same issue with my Ryzen 7 2700X but in my case the sound is  a whirling sound like if a blade was rubbing against a wire yet nothing is near the fan blades. I have a see though case so can see the fan spinning clearly. I don't hear it all the time but  randomly  like when booting or starting a game its only for a couple seconds. I do also see what seems like the fan blades rocking back and forth like in reverse then back to normal maybe this is normal  not sure never had a clear case before where I could see the CPU fan nor a silent one. I was use to a phenom II x4 955 that always stayed loud in my last build. Another thing related to the CPU fan occasionally on restart I get fan CPU error check fan. I seem to have resolved that error by adjusting the minimum fan speeds from the 13 % to 30 %. The motherboard I have is an msi  x470 carbon. No issues with the build otherwise but concerned of the fan changing directions (does it all the time not just during the whirling sound)as well as the loud whirl for a brief couple of seconds. Thoughts?

0 Likes
caiocarvalho
Journeyman III

mine does the same buzzing sound but only when reachs 2800 rpm and then when its full the noise stops. I m RMA ing it, looks faulty to me, we wasn t supposed to listen to this noise when using a computer, i make music and this is unnacetable for a new build

0 Likes

Mine does something similar I’ve just figured it out after 2 years lol I’ve unplugged all my fans and though it might have been a coil whine issue but coil whines to quiet for my issue it’s a insanely loud buzzing noise coming from the wraith prisom so loud it picks up on my mic and It gets worse as I’m playing the thing is properly attached and just today for the heck of it I decided to put my hand on it while it was buzzing and it vibrated and when the buzzing stopped it was fine and then vibrated again when it buzzed I’ll have to get a new cooler I guess 

0 Likes