cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Freesync Support added to Samsung 2018 QLED line.

AMD nudges FreeSync into the living room on select Samsung QLED TV models | PC Gamer

While I had hoped that AMD would follow NVidia's BFGD reveal with TV sized monitors of their own, I guess Freesync strait to TVs is okay.  The downside with televisions is that they include proprietary "smart" software and tuners that are unnecessary and wasted money is you are hooking up a PC.  They also tend to lack DisplayPort and have more limited refresh rates that PC monitors.

At 1080p the sets support Freesync ranges of 48-120Hz, while 48-60 is supported at 4K.  That is an awfully narrow range at 4K.  Sure, it is difficult to drive a 4K display above 60fps with a single AMD GPU (or any GPU), but a freesync range of 12HZ?  The displays already support 24 Hz content for movies so I was hoping this would be a bit lower.  Either way, living room gaming is on the upswing!  

0 Likes
1 Reply
povell
Adept I

My Q6FN works pretty good with my Nvidia 1080 graphics card having no issues with 1440p @ 120hz gaming.  The only irritant is some games have bad screen tearing... which is why I bought a AMD Vega 56 card for Freesync with this TV.  The problem is that while I was able to achieve 1440p @ 120hz on the desktop with the AMD card, in most games it kicks the TV input to 4k @ 60hz - even with both the desktop and game resolutions set to 1440p.  When I put the game to Windowed Mode it will show 1440p @ 120hz, but as soon as I put the game to Fullscreen the TV will show a 4k @ 60hz input.

This is not happening with my Nvidia graphics card, which leads me to believe it is an issue with AMD drivers.  Not sure what else to try.  If AMD can give some guidence on this OR update drivers to work nicely with the Samsung 2018 QLED line, I would greatly appreciate it.

0 Likes