cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kyosji
Newcomer

AMD Custom Install forcing Gaming Evolved app? Why?

Why is AMD forcing me to install AMD Gaming Evolved App.  Besides Raptr being dead and useless, and Play TV being about the same, this is a work computer that has no business having those programs installed.  I just need the drivers, that's it.  Selecting Custom install, I am only given a single check box to deal with for some reason, Gaming Evolved.  I'm OK with that, but what makes no sense is that if I de-select the box, the next button greys out.  What is the point then if I'm forced to install everything anyways, including this useless bloatware?

amd.png

0 Likes
23 Replies

0 Likes

Uninstalling isn't the issue, it's the fact that I'm forced to do it on a company PC, in which installing gaming software is highly frowned upon.  It's also the fact that we are given a custom installation that, in the end, gives you only 1 option to uncheck and will not let you install the drivers if it is unchecked.

0 Likes

Why are you using such a old driver?

0 Likes

Because according to the AMD software, it was what the latest driver was.

0 Likes

O yeah? INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

There have been no reported issues that I am aware of that unchecking the 'gaming evolved' app prevents the drivers from installing. Your screenshot above looks normal.

0 Likes

Except that the next button is greyed out and you can't continue till you click the box to also install the gaming evolved app, thus defeating the purpose of a custom install entirely.

Graphics Chipset    AMD Radeon HD 6450

Windows 7 64-bit

Driver Packaging Version    15.301.1901-160226a-318064E

Catalyst Version    15.8

0 Likes

You're way behind:

Here's how to select the correct driver:

Download Drivers

0 Likes

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

king, I appreciate that you're attempting to help, but my question and concern has NOTHING to do with updating.  I know all this and more.  My issue is why is this even an issue.  AMD has a buggy installer that needs to be corrected.  So far your solution is to ignore it, sweep it under the rug, and do something else.  You're not providing solutions to the original question and matter.

0 Likes

Your using a driver that was retired over four years ago...if you don't want to use a more current driver, that doesn't include raptr, there has to be some other reason that you aren't explaining. But...good luck to you.

0 Likes

If all you require is just the Basic Driver without any CCC settings installed. Delete the AMD Driver package from your computer using Control Panel - Uninstall and later on DDU. Make sure to uninstall all AMD software including the driver.

Then unpack the AMD Driver package you have downloaded by using a unpacking software or click and run the installer and cancel before beginning the installation.

Then use Device Manager - Display and under Properties - Update Driver - manually guide it to the created folder from the AMD installation at C:AMD and allow Device Manager to install just the AMD Driver and probably basic CCC settings.

0 Likes

Ok, let me try to clear this up, cause people arne't reading and jumping to a conclusion to offer support on something that's not the issue.

Point 1. - AMD Driver Ready alerts me there is an updated driver.  I tell the program to install it.  The AMD software is saying the above is the latest driver, which is apparently incorrect. (I don't need you to correct me on this and link me to the updated driver, I don't care, it's not the point here). 

Point 2. -I select custom install because I don't want RAPTR, PlayTV, or any other gaming evolution software.  I just want the driver.  The custom selection screen that appears (image above) only has a single box i can uncheck, the Gaminge Evolution App.  That's fine, because it's not what I want to install anyways.  Problem is that once I uncheck this box, it greys out the 'Next' option so I can't download the driver.  The installation software gives a custom installation option, but will not let you install unless everything is selected to begin with, which defeats the purpose of having this feature.

0 Likes

You are quite correct about the driver. The HD 6xxx series (Desktop) is considered to be Legacy and no more supported by AMD with newer drivers unless Microsoft or the GPU card's manufacturer creates a newer version.

The driver you have installed is the last known Official driver for that card. But there is a slightly newer version but it is BETA using Crimson which supplants CCC from 2015 AMD driver package ( maybe the Custom Install will work with this version): Legacy

NAMEFILE SIZEREVISION NUMBERRELEASE DATEDOWNLOAD LINK
Catalyst Software Suite301 MB15.7.17/29/2015*DOWNLOAD
Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta260 MBCrimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta3/1/2016*DOWNLOAD

I believe you misread my previous Post. By using DEVICE MANAGER instead of the AMD installer, it will just install the AMD GPU Driver and whatever software it needs to run correctly. It will not install any extra software like Raptr/Gaming APP. Device Manager bypasses the AMD installation program.

I understand what you are saying. That the Custom Installation is refusing to install the AMD driver UNTIL you checkmark to install Raptr/Gaming APP. This is obviously wrong and it may have something to do with your computer setup. I haven't seen any threads of that particular problem pop up here at AMD Forums.

I can understand why you don't want Raptr installed in a company environment. The company may see it as you wasting company's time by playing games instead of working or give employees the opportunity to play games on company time.

Anyway, as a last results since you are using AMD GPU card in a business environment, I would highly suggest you open a EMAIL SUPPORT ticket with AMD Support and see if they can give any useful information in solving your problem: Email Form .

0 Likes

That's all well and good, however, neither the 15.7.1 drivers or the 16.2 drivers include Raptr. Despite all the knowledge the poster has.

Legacy

If he wants a newer driver...way newer and without 'Gaming Evolved"....his choices are one of these Legacy

0 Likes

I will add that both these drivers have a bug which notifies of a new driver. Ignore it. It (the bug) was fixed in a later update...but that doesn't help users with either of these drivers.

The 16.2.1 is the preferred/better driver.

0 Likes

Yes, those are the drivers that I copied from that AMD Support legacy.

I googled the AMD Display driver (in the posted image) and it points to the BETA version from the Legacy page. So the OPS has the newest version of the Legacy driver installed but with the bug you mentioned.

Also according to AMD from this Website, Raptr was included in all AMD drivers before September 2016: AMD Gaming Evolved APP By Raptr No Longer Being Supported By AMD

Starting September 12th 2016, AMD is no longer bundling the “AMD Gaming Evolved App” by Raptr with builds of Radeon Software. The application will still work. AMD will cease to undertake any compatibility testing, install support or general technical support for this application, nor will it be available through Radeon Software or its installer. Previous builds of Radeon Software that include the “AMD Gaming Evolved App” dated before September 12th 2016 will remain intact and will not be affected. -AMD

From the same website, it does mention that it is easy to Opt out from being installed:

The app wasn’t universally well received but luckily was easy enough to opt out of when installing the lastest Crimson Drivers giving the end user a way to avoid it all together.

So the OPS has something wrong with his computer setup that prevents AMD Package installer from Opting out from installing Raptr.

0 Likes

I downloaded the 15.7.1 drivers and installed them on my Win7....it does have raptr. 16.2.1 does not. When I unchecked 'gaming evolved' I had no issue and the drivers installed just fine. It could be a bad download from AMD...I had to find the drivers at Download AMD Catalyst Drivers 15.7.1 Windows 7 64 - FileHippo.com .

In any event...newer drivers are available without the inconvenience of 'Gaming Evolved/Raptr'....16.2.1

This should convince the OPS to upgrade to the last newest legacy driver. Good work!

The easiest way to prevent the 'update available' notice is to download and run Autoruns (as administrator) and uncheck the item below:

0 Likes

Well after further testing...I found a version of 16.2.1 that ​does have 'Gaming Evolved' included. It's hard for me to find, as for my card (295x2) it is not listed as a previous driver. So I was wrong about that. Sorry. The best bet is to install 16.2.1 and use the above to prevent the update message and unselect Gaming evolved. A clean install is best > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

And of course forgot about this...Raptr/gaming evolved does not uninstall with the AMD drivers...DDU or not.

Raptr/Gaming evolved how to remove

0 Likes