cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

P-State OC or Offset voltage no down-volting

Hello there!

I have a 1920X in an ASUS Zenith Extreme motherboard.

I have tried BIOS 0804, 0902 and 0019

The processor works flawlessly at stock and OCs manually flawlessly.

However, if I set an offset voltage in BIOS or if I set a P-State OC the processor downclocks but does not downvolt.

One or two eccentricities in the BIOS after BIOS flashback are making me wonder if the MB is at fault. But before I RMA it is it possible that the CPU is at fault?

I have tried fresh OS installs on two different drives and made tested a whole range of power plans etc.

Is it the CPU that requests downclocking and downvolting....or is it more likely to be a BIOS fault.

Other TR owners have confirmed it is not a BIOS bug in general...they are able to see downvolting on offset and P-State setups. So it is something peculiar to my system.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Finally...a few years later...reply from AMD

To address your enquiry, AMD does not officially support p-state overclocking on AMD Ryzen and AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors.

AMDs motherboard partners have been able to enable this feature through their own engineering efforts. Due to how 1st Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X and 1900X models are configured, p-state overclocking is not possible.

While not supported, this issue should not be present on 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper products, due to the updated algorithm used for Precision Boost 2 and XFR2.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

OK, so I have tried a new MB with no resolution to the issue...

It is not offset per se, it seems to be changing multiplier or setting Multiplier with P-State OC that disables down-volting.

An offset will allow down-volting with multiplier on auto. with boost enabled or disabled.

If I set the multiplier and an offset I get down-clocking but no down-volting. Boost enabled or disabled.

If I set a P-State OC I get down-clocking but no down-volting. Boost disabled. (Enabled N/A)

0 Likes

OK so it's taken me a while to confirm this since the number of 1920Xs in my circle are limited (most went for the 1950X) and the number of 1920Xs that have tried a P-State OC...however I can confirm that there is something wrong with BIOS or AGESA that means 1920X P-State OC does not work whereas 1950X does. Someone at AMD needs to take a look at this!

Please...thankyou

0 Likes

Finally...a few years later...reply from AMD

To address your enquiry, AMD does not officially support p-state overclocking on AMD Ryzen and AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors.

AMDs motherboard partners have been able to enable this feature through their own engineering efforts. Due to how 1st Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X and 1900X models are configured, p-state overclocking is not possible.

While not supported, this issue should not be present on 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper products, due to the updated algorithm used for Precision Boost 2 and XFR2.

0 Likes
glazalmaz
Journeyman III

I finally found out why my CPU (R5 2600) does not lower the voltage on B450M DS3H in P0 state. It was Timer Resolution that I set to 0.500. So, the workaround for me is to run Timer Resolution just before I play the game.

0 Likes