cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

radrick01
Adept I

ASUS Crosshair XI hero

Will the win 10/7 drivers downloadable here make my ASUS ROG Crosshair XI hero main board work with win 7?  Windows 10 is garbage and Microsoft will not support it.  I'm having a ton of problems without any way to get help.

ASUS ROG Crosshair XI hero main board,

AMD RYZEN 5 1500X,

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform,

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060,

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) [Windows operating system drive]

13 gig page file size.  <<< increased size to try to help with problems, but made no difference.

0 Likes
1 Solution
radrick01
Adept I

It is the responsibility of ASUS to produce driver for windows 7.  Windows 7 is a viable operating system.  Ever software program and game lists Windows 7 as one of the operating systems required!   It is by no means obsolete!  Nobody it asking for Windows XP drivers!

ASUS only cares about money now, not the future of the company.  I will not buy anything from them again until they fix this issue!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

There is a procedure thread on the ASUS ROG forum for installing Windows 7 on the Crosshair VI.

0 Likes

Where?  Could you provide a link?  If you are talking about the original ASUS help page to install win 7, it does not work.  If you can get it to install at all, it is totally unstable.  There are no "good" win 7 drivers from ASUS.

0 Likes

The Asus tool and drivers on the support pages would not work for me either for Windows 7 installs.

The MSI Smart tool is currently working for Windows 7 installs on both Ryzen 1xxx series and Ryzen 2xxx series, it includes all the drivers needed for motherboards without a PS/2 port. You can download the program on the support page for the MSI X470 Gaming M7, make sure to read and follow the directions when you use the tool. (they are simple). After the new ISO is created it will install normally.

On your motherboard there is a PS/2 port, if you have a keyboard with a PS/2 connection, your motherboard support disk, and a CD drive, you can install Windows 7 normally. Just use the TAB key to navigate during the install and the desktop after install. Then use motherboard support disk to install necessary drivers for your motherboard. Should work "normally" after all the drivers are installed.

In the last week I installed Win 7 on a R5 1600 and a R5 2600x on Asus motherboards using this tool without issue only adding 10-15 minutes to the install overall (to create the ISO).

In my opinion using Windows 7 on  the Ryzen 1xxx/2xxx series is not a great experience and it can take some time to get it running the way you like it without hassle.Like getting rid of the unsupported hardware pop up, getting any updates current or old and a lot of other small things . I know it has taken a lot of my time... But I do it for fun.

Best of luck o7

0 Likes
radrick01
Adept I

It is the responsibility of ASUS to produce driver for windows 7.  Windows 7 is a viable operating system.  Ever software program and game lists Windows 7 as one of the operating systems required!   It is by no means obsolete!  Nobody it asking for Windows XP drivers!

ASUS only cares about money now, not the future of the company.  I will not buy anything from them again until they fix this issue!

0 Likes

Windows 7 only has 1.5 years left in its life, so Microsoft is going to either force you to use 10, or be in the same boat XP users are now. Your best option is to upgrade to 10 now before they close the loophole which allows free upgrading from 7 and 8.1 to 10.

Sure, that is all fine....  Except one thing.  The entire need for PC Speed increase is driven by gamers!  If you fail the gamers, they will stop building PC's.  It does not matter how fast your possessor is if the operating system sucks so bad that the system is not worth using.  Microsoft has regressed back to the sability of windows XP with this wonderful new windows 10.  What is next windows 11, that will be just as stable as windows 3.1?  Perhaps Microsoft will release it on 3.5 in floppy as well...

If the system stability is as bad as windows 10 or worse, then every component manufacturer will need to start building parts for game consoles, cellphones and tablets, because there will be NOBODY buying high speed desktop computers!  All the gamers WILL give up on Microsoft and move to consoles!  That will be the end of AMD!

NONE of you PC component company people are thinking it through!  NONE of you are considering the end game!

0 Likes

I have been using Windows 10 for a little over a year, and I can honestly say I have not had any more stability issues or application compatibility problems than I had with Windows 7, and if you look at the bulk of the complaints about stability, they are either from people on the insider preview (beta) channel, or home edition users who install untested updates as soon as they are released.

And no, the need for PC speed is not driven by gamers, hasn't been since consoles started dominating the gaming landscape, which is why if you look at the games with the highest revenue figures, such as MMOs, "freemium" games, and "eSports" titles, the system requirements are the better part of a decade old, and even many new games don't require cutting edge hardware unless you want to go 4K as 1080p60 gaming is midrange territory. Professional, server, and scientific applications have been demanding higher efficiency and higher performance, especially since the advent of GPGPU applications and machine learning, not to mention the server sector demanding higher and higher efficiency, and this is what drives AMD and nVidia, the high margin professional sector, since each FirePro or Quadro card brings many, many times the profits of a Radeon or GeForce, while the same holds true for CPUs, an EPYC or Xeon puts more in the bank account of AMD and Intel than a consumer grade product.

PC game sale is vastly higher than usually reported.  They don't take into account the digital download sales!  I buy almost all my games on steam.

http://www.thegamersblog.com/understanding-the-numbers-pc-vs-console-sales-figures/

Not to mention If you count the PC as a platform and directly compare to each other platform, you get 3 times the sales!  Digital sales are through the roof!  The console games only come closer to PC game sales when you combine all of them together.

But in all actuality, that was not the point I was making.  Most highest speed PC systems are sold to the gamers.  Businesses rarely spend the excessive amounts to buy one hundered ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero systems with 32 gig ram, and an 1800X rysen, and a nVidia 1080 GTX GeForce video card, and a m.2 high speed SSD, to give to an employee for them to input data about customers.  Like me they save big money buying slightly slower systems.  No, the fast upgrades go to gamers with more money then me!  They spend a couple Gs getting the Bad**ss system to game on.  We PC gamers are the ones driving the fastest tech!  The PC gamers have always driven the newest fastest tech.  By screwing the gamers, component companies screw themselves!

There are 711 million PC gamers around the world spending a billions and billions per year!  It is a extremely stupid idea to treat us badly!

'There are 711 million PC gamers in the world today' says Intel | PC Gamer

If you consider it, 711 million PC gamers who update their systems every 3-4 years spending a couple G's per year...  The math is more than I want to do right now, but I bet it is 10 billion a year if its a penny!  You want the PC gamers to take there 10 billion per year and go buy a console and skip buying that high end gaming system?  If they can't get a good PC for their money, they will eventually switch to console.  You will lose most all the buyers of you very fastest possessors!

Yes my system is not the greatest fastest, because I don't have the money for it!  Thanks for pointing that out!

0 Likes