cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ojii
Journeyman III

Threadripper and air cooling

I notice that there are Air cooling options available for the Threadripper. As I have never had any experience with liquid cooling, this sounds enticing since it's shown on the AMD site as compatible choices. SO...my question...Just because you can doesn't mean you should? Or am I OK with an air cooled build?

0 Likes
6 Replies

Honestly I wouldn't, not with a 180w TDP, especially if you will be using these as they were intended (long duration high usage). All-In-One sealed liquid coolers, like the Corsair H115, are safe, quiet, and as easy to install as a standard air cooler and case fan.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

ojii, I agree 100% with black_zion.  I have used AIO water coolers for a number of builds and never had a problem.  You do need to make sure it will fit your case (same with air coolers).  On my TR1950X I'm using a Enermax Liqtech TR4 240.  There is also a 360 (mm) if it will fit your case.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
ojii
Journeyman III

Thanks very much. I have two liquid cooling options on my list and I'll compare them with these two. Again thanks. My case can take two coolers. It's rather..large.

0 Likes

I prefer Corsair models as their warranty includes damage done to any other component in the rare event of a leak, and I'd suggest any cooler you get be the largest size, you can't really overkill it when you're talking about a processor with 16 cores/32 threads, especially if you're using it in warmer rooms and/or want nice and quiet processing, plus if you do price comparisons the differences between small and large models is fairly small. For example, the Corsair H80i, the minimum on AMD's list of coolers for Threadripper made by Corsair, is $95, while the Corsair H115i with its double length radiator is $140.

0 Likes

And if you act in the next 3 hours the Corsair H115 on Amazon is on sale $50 off at $99.99, that's quite a value as the H115 is a very powerful cooler, it's what I use for my overclocked Ryzen 1800X, and 90% of the time the fans spin under 1000RPM.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CW-9060027-WW-Extreme-Performance-Liquid/dp/B019955RNQ/ref=br_prlt_sl...

0 Likes

ojii and black_zion, for the two coolers I mentioned, the 360 will require a full tower and is why I got the smaller one.  A big influence on me was the shape of the water block.  Most vendors used their AM4 blocks but Enermax created a new block that fully covers both of the Ryzen chips.  On the negative size, both the fans and the water pump plug directly into the MB, so there is no utility to monitor and control the cooler.  This has not been a problem for me.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes