cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft pushing Win10 version 1803 to PCs specifically set to avoid it

I guess I'm just a hater.

"We saw it happen three times with Win10 1709. Now we’re getting reports of Win10 1803 being pushed to Pro PCs with “branch readiness” set to Semi-Annual Channel -- the setting that’s supposed to specifically keep 1803 away until it’s ready."

If this weren’t so infuriating it’d be heartbreaking. According to multiple reports, Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 version 1803 onto PCs that are specifically set to bypass the upgrade until it’s declared fit for business use. Susan Bradley has details.

[ Further reading: How to handle Windows 10 updates ]

We saw forced upgrades three times with Win10 version 1709.

• In mid-November 2017, Microsoft pushed many Win10 1703 customers with “Current Branch for Business” selected onto 1709.
  • In mid-January 2018, the company pushed many Win10 1703 customers onto 1709, even though they had “feature update” deferrals set to 365 days.
  • In early March 2018, Microsoft pushed Win10 1703 customers onto 1709, based on the company's contention that it has a right to do so if telemetry is turned off (Diagnostic Data level set to zero).

In particular, the people

1709 windows update advanced options

Microsoft

Users complaining of a forced 1803 upgrade have set the “Choose when updates are installed” advanced update option to “Semi-Annual Channel."

.”

In Microsoft’s mixed-up world of update terminology (which has changed at least three times in the past year), “Semi-Annual Channel” – formerly “Current Branch for Business” – is supposed to delay upgrades until Microsoft determines that the new version of Win10 is fit for human consumption, or, presumably, paying business customers.

This comes on the heels of the original rollout three weeks ago, when those with the temerity to “Check for updates” were deemed seekersand treated to an upgrade with no option to stop it. It seems “Check” has a different meaning in Win10 update terminology.

Those who don’t have branch readiness set to “Semi-Annual Channel” – including all Win10 Home customers, who can’t set branch readiness – are considered cannon fodder, ready for the unpaid beta testing phase whenever Microsoft sees fit.

[ Got a spare hour? Take this online course and learn how to install and configure Windows 10 with the... ]

In the past, Microsoft has said that it takes about four months to get their final, best version of Win10 debugged to corporate standards. Now, the length of delay – and the method for notifying folks that the new version has passed muster – is open to debate. The method and delay have changed with each of the Win10 versions (1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709) that we’ve seen.

It isn’t clear at this point if those being upgraded to 1803 have set their Diagnostic Data level to zero. We’ll keep you posted as we hear more.

Microsoft, of course, isn’t saying a word.

Bradley recommends that you use wushowhide to search and destroy the upgrade before it gets installed. Of course, you have to remember to run wushowhide prior to clicking the “Check for updates” button. Every. Single. Time.

Scratch that upgrade itch on the AskWoody Lounge.

Microsoft pushing Win10 version 1803 to PCs specifically set to avoid it | Computerworld

0 Likes
8 Replies

Nope you are a not a hater. They should honor those settings. I can tell you first hand we have already seen this at work. Absolutely ignoring group policy settings.

0 Likes

We have also had a number of machines where controlled folder access was turned on in defender and it corrupted file explorer. With a folder open if you click on any file, document or executable. Nothing happens it just closes the folder. Restore points and repair installs do not fix it. A simple 3rd party registry backup and restore did. Tweaking dot coms  Windows Repair utility is great for free, IMHO.

leyvin
Miniboss

What is actually baffling about 1803, is that within the Slow / Fast Insider Ring (RC) Builds., it was exceptionally superior to 1709 in terms of Performance, Stability, Compatibility, etc.

While the actual Retail Build has been absolutely plagued with issues.

Something else that baffled me, is the builds we'd had prior., we'd been given 2-4 weeks to test out Stability, Security, etc. providing more than enough time for Feedback as well as seeing how it played with various Applications / Drivers / Updates. There was little feedback to provide in all honesty during said period.

Where-as the "Final Build" before it was pushed to Consumers suddenly introduced a lot of very odd issues.

From Microsoft Edge hording data (I'm not even joking, within a week it had eaten like 30GB for no damn reason,. something that'd been baffling me as to why all of a sudden my OS SSD were rapidly running out of space for no reason)., to quirky chances that have been causing Hard Crashes with Graphics and Processor Drivers as well as incompatibilities leading to constant Driver Crashes for Microsoft Products (Keyboard, Mice, Headset, Controllers, etc.).

Something that wasn't occurring in RC3., but did in the Retail Build; that we had ZERO time to provide feedback for; as it was pushed out on a Tuesday, and went live the following Friday. There are also curious issues that have started out of nowhere, such-as Microsoft Photos (even when not running it) Hammering the Notifications for 3D Acceleration Access but being Constantly Denied (and as a note, there's no way to even manually provide it with Permission).

I've been in the midst of preparing all of the Machines for a switch back to the Insider Branch (which the Release 1803 disabled) specifically in the hope that it will resolve the current Retail Branch issues. As I don't recall the last time I've needed to Reset / Reinstall Windows following a Major Update to resolve issues it's introduced.

I'm not overly surprised that the Windows Updater has also been affected by the changes., as it's always been far too "Automated" since Windows 10 Launched.

That they've not resolved such basic issues in 3 / 4 Years., is absolutely baffling to me, especially given they're the ones who retired Windows Server / Workstation Edition specifically intended for Business' to Unify their OS. I'm not against that concept, but they really need to get their s**t together when it comes to better servicing said Sector... I really wish they had some competition within the Desktop Sector, might force them to get their Act together.

The way I see it, is Microsoft is trying to be more than just a OS. It keeps slapping on these new 'wondrous' features that are not required or asked for..and causing more problems. A picture is worth a thousand words:

That's why my all time favorite OS will be Windows 2000. Being essentially Windows XP with everything stripped out, you downloaded only what you wanted, and was rock solid until the day Microsoft dropped it. Fast, light, secure, and stable, everything an OS SHOULD be, not bloated and what can be beta level patches which break things...

In my experience standardization usually leads to problems like this.  Rather than having things segregated and a little more manageable, you now have a single OS for home desktop, servers, workstations, and mobile/touch.  You have to ensure compatibility across all possible hardware platforms and software installs.  Those possible combinations are now exponentially greater as you have a single software platform serving all uses and makes conflicts and computability issues all the more likely.

hicinko
Journeyman III

It would be great!

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

I rolled my machines back , had the Microsoft Assistant exmine the PC's , they Recommeneded 1709 and listed 1709 in the updaterm and i still ended up with 1803 ....

Now that was a first time i seen it say i was getting a upgrade Clicking accept acknowlegde for it and it came out further than Recommended .

I dont even think it kept what would be needed to go there in first place (imo)

I scanned /windows/WinSxS/Backups

It had non.

0 Likes