cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

old_rager
Journeyman III

Can TR1950X offload processing to the GPU?

Hi All - Newbie here...

Wanting to get a processor that has sufficient power to transcode HEVC/H265 media on the fly.  According to PLEX support, I need a CPU passmark of 4,000 for every 10Mbps (and from what I understand, 60Mbps is the minimum requirement for 4K HEVC/H265 - https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/).  Therefore, I need a CPU with a passmark of at least 24K (preferably 32K from what I have read here - Transcoding 4K Requirements — Plex Forums).  From what I understand, the TR1950X has a CPU pass mark of 22K - PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End), which is 2 - 10K  short of what I need.  From my research to date, I believe that Intel's Coffee Lake processors have the ability to offload processing workload to the GPU natively.  My question is, can the TR1950X offload processing workload to the GPU?  Having said that, I do have a non-AMD GPU (Nvidia 1080TI) which should have more than enough power to cover for the Threadripper's non compliance to 24K - 32K CPU pass mark.  If not, I may have to wait for the Zen+ Threadripper release to see if it's passmark is sufficient to do the job (taking into account the overhead associated with various Spectre patches) - or wait for the Zen 2 releases which should not be encumbered by the Spectre patch overheads).

0 Likes
0 Replies