cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

proclivitas
Adept II

Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

I'm getting this message as a text pop-up, and AMD settings do not run (it is impossible to run due to the error):

"Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s)."

... whenever I try to open AMD settings after installing any driver past 18.2.2 .

R9 290X on Windows 7 x64.

I am not installing relive, and I am not installing anything except AMD settings and driver (no HDMI audio, no ACP application, no bethesda launcher, etc.).

I have tried:
Clean install using amd driver
Clean install after DDU
Rolling back to 18.2.1 (settings work fine)
18.2.3 (settings broken)
From 18.2.1 directly to 18.3.1 (settings broken)
From 18.3.1 "no clean" downgrade to 18.2.2 (settings work fine).

Basically, settings work fine on 18.2.1 and 18.2.2 but break on 18.2.3 and 18.3.1 consistently.

I'm at a loss.

Win7 x64 is updated fully with windows update etc.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what to check, or is it broken for everyone, and nobody is saying anything???

190 Replies
proclivitas
Adept II

Issue persists with 18.5.1 .

Replacing CNext\radeonsettings.exe with the one from 18.2.2 fixes the issue, and I can access control panel fine with the 18.2.2 executable without changing ANYTHING else.

Even tried a clean install (what a waste of time).

ar77
Adept II

Having the same issue on Windows 7 64bit running an R9 290X.
Tried DDU numerous times and the latest driver 18.5.1 but no use

Have u tried windows 10 RS4?

0 Likes

Why would i update my whole windows for an faulty driver from amd?

Sent from my iPhone

Infact many people are having this issue,if it was an issue with my pc solely then your suggestion would be valid but it seems quite some people are having this issue  meaning its not a problem with our PC's rather the driver

Ray_AMD
Community Manager

We are unable to reproduce this issue locally but believe it is being caused by Windows Updates being pushed to your system.

Please try the following steps.

• Uninstall the driver using DDU.
  • Reboot.
  • Run Windows Update to clear out any pending updates.
  • Install the latest 18.5.1 driver.

I have uninstalled it 4 times using DDU, two of them yesterday on the 18.4.1 drivers and today twice after the new 18.5.1 driver was released yet to no success

My windows update has been disabled since I installed the windows so it cannot be due to "Windows Updates being pushed to your system."

My Win 7 64bit current version is  6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Ray_AMD
Community Manager

I would suggest you enable Windows Update (which is required) and follow the steps above.

0 Likes

Ray,

I have the same config as this person (290X on Win7 x64).

My windows update is fully updated.  Do you think it will make a difference to check for windows updates while the driver is uninstalled?  Is there a specific reason you're asking to "check for updates" after uninstalling the driver?  I'm guessing no updates will be found as my system is already currently fully updated.  I'm not sure if it's worth the time to even try, I've already tried DDU to no avail.

Can you ask someone on the dev team what the condition is for this error to be thrown?  I would like to manually check the registry branch or whatever is "being checked" and is failing the check...  everything works fine if I replace radeonsettings.exe with the one from 18.2.2 on my system, so there's got to be something changed in the compiler or code that made it break.

Feel free to post here or PM me with ideas or even if you guys find what might be wrong and recompile radeonsettings.exe for testing.

Yes this guy has said exactly what was in my mouth,its no use updating when i know another guy has same problem where he has fully updated and also when has NOT having widows updates installed made a driver not work?
Considering that replacing radeonsettings.exe with the one from 18.2.2 solves the problem, it is a problem with the driver not the Windows build or version

And the reason i dont downgrade is because Fortnite has issues on older drivers otherwise i would gladly have downgraded by now

I'm having the same issue with 18.5.1.  RX580 on fully up-to-date Windows 7.  If I open radeon settings, i just get the mismatch popup.  With previous versions radeon settings would just crash.  17.12.2 is the latest version that actually works for me.  I'd be happy to grab logs or try debug versions.

Device manager shows driver version 24.20.11016.4,  radeonsettings.exe version is 10.1.2.1717

I have this problem also on "fabric" old official bios. This is problem with radeonsettings.exe. Dear AMD developers pls stop blocking working radeonsettings with other drivers. AMD pls simply remove this function from drivers, because this NOT WORKING! Radeonsettings doesnt detect properly driver version and is problem with running radeonsettings. I have tested all drivers, 18.2.3 and newer and this problem is always with running radeonsettings

Gigabyte R9 270X

GV-R927XOC-2GD-GA

AMD Radeon R9 270X/REV 1.0 2048MB GDDR5/256 bit/PCI-E 3.0 Dual Link DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI DisplayPort

I have updated to latest official bios "FA1" from official site GV-R927XOC-2GD-GA | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

Latest working radeonsettings for me is only from 18.2.2 drivers.

18.6.1 and bug not fixed. Additionally gpu scaling, return monitor resolution, always to native resolution. Gpu scaling not work properly. Why in default gpu using 59.94 refresh and not 60Hz?

17.4.4 and 16.6.1 driver still need deleye reg entry to correct the driver and settings version dnt match such a little error still not fixed 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 at 22:54, mkdante381<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv8499709771 * #yiv8499709771 a #yiv8499709771 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv8499709771 #yiv8499709771 h1, #yiv8499709771 h2, #yiv8499709771 h3, #yiv8499709771 h4, #yiv8499709771 h5, #yiv8499709771 h6, #yiv8499709771 p, #yiv8499709771 hr {}#yiv8499709771 .yiv8499709771button td {}

|

Community

Re: Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

in Drivers & Software

18.6.1 and bug not fixed. Additionally gpu scaling, return monitor resolution, always to native resolution. Gpu scaling not work properly. Why in default gpu using 59.94 refresh and not 60Hz?

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

When you delete driver version reg entry the radeon settings shows updates for 18.5.1 18.5.2 and 18.6.1 as available even after update to 18.6.1 it says 18.5.2 and 18.6.1 as availble updates and ive got 18.6.1 installed    thnks 

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 at 0:02, pedro-nf<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv3836938437 * #yiv3836938437 a #yiv3836938437 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv3836938437 #yiv3836938437 h1, #yiv3836938437 h2, #yiv3836938437 h3, #yiv3836938437 h4, #yiv3836938437 h5, #yiv3836938437 h6, #yiv3836938437 p, #yiv3836938437 hr {}#yiv3836938437 .yiv3836938437button td {}

|

Community

|

Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

pedro-nf marked terry parker's reply on Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

17.4.4 and 16.6.1 driver still need deleye reg entry to correct the driver and settings version dnt match such a little error still not fixed 

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 at 22:54, mkdante381<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:   

#yiv8499709771 * #yiv8499709771 a #yiv8499709771 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv8499709771 #yiv8499709771 h1, #yiv8499709771 h2, #yiv8499709771 h3, #yiv8499709771 h4, #yiv8499709771 h5, #yiv8499709771 h6, #yiv8499709771 p, #yiv8499709771 hr {}#yiv8499709771 .yiv8499709771button td {}

|

Community 

Re: Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

in Drivers & Software 

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Following Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). in these streams: Inbox

Is it so hard for amd to remove driver version from the registry ?? Or correct it when drjver and settings are diff versions was never an issue till this last few weeks , get it together amd sort this error out 

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 at 0:02, pedro-nf<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv6407316351 * #yiv6407316351 a #yiv6407316351 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6407316351 #yiv6407316351 h1, #yiv6407316351 h2, #yiv6407316351 h3, #yiv6407316351 h4, #yiv6407316351 h5, #yiv6407316351 h6, #yiv6407316351 p, #yiv6407316351 hr {}#yiv6407316351 .yiv6407316351button td {}

|

Community

|

pedro-nf marked mkdante381's reply on Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

Following Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). in these streams: Inbox

macstu23
Journeyman III

I can confirm I am having this same issue with drivers 18.4.1 and the latest 18.5.1 driver.
R9 380
Win 7, 64 bit.
Have uninstalled in safe mode using DDU, but still get the same issue with both sets of drivers, using express install.

Rolled back to 17.12.1 (released in December '17) and it was okay. I would prefer a more recent driver that worked however.

macstu23​ There is no problem with 380 in windows 10.

0 Likes

He's not using Windows 10, read before you reply, at least.

I read everything, and im saying that he should upgrade to windows 10.

0 Likes

Well maybe you should also think if what you are saying is logical,you expect people to upgrade to new version of windows like it nothing.Next time try suggesting something which actually helps to solve the current problem and does not involve opening a whole new set of problems

If you want a more recent one which works, use 18.2.2.

If you want to use the latest driver, it's an easy temporary solution to install 18.2.2, copy "radeonsettings.exe" from the AMD directory, install 18.5.1 and replace "radeonsettings.exe" with the one from 18.2.2.

That SEEMS to work fine, I haven't noticed any negative effects.  Obviously if there were any fixes or updates to radeon settings, you do not get them.

I have one negative effect replacing "radeonsettings.exe" - Custom Resolution button disappears in Settings -> Display. I need it, unfortunately.

If that is the only negative that Custom Resolution is missing, Download a small free program called Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). Use this program to make custom resolutions on your monitors instead of Radeon Settings.

thats defeating purpuse of radeon settings 

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 1:00:44 PM GMT+1, elstaci <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

If that is the only negative that Custom Resolution is missing, Download a small free program called Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). Use this program to make custom resolutions on your monitors instead of Radeon Settings.

|

Virus-free. www.avast.com

If it does the same function that doesn't work in Radeon how do you consider that to be defeating the purpose?

it is a work around temporary solution until you get Radeon working the way you want. nothing more. It is not defeating the purpose of anything.

If you feel by using another program to do the same function is defeating the purpose of Radeon Settings then, I guess, you just have to wait until you get Radeon Settings to work on your computer.

ive reinstaslled  18.2.1 now have ful working radeon settings with 17.4.4 radeon settings but 18.5.1 is a recommended update not a essential update is it not ?? but shd work all versions of radeon , i may do clean instal of 18.5.1 but dnt want lot hastle if stil not correct   thnks 

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 2:55:50 PM GMT+1, elstaci <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

If it does the same function that doesn't work in Radeon how do you consider that to be defeating the purpose?

it is a work around temporary solution until you get Radeon working the way you want. nothing more. It is not defeating the purpose of anything.

If you feel by using another program to do the same function is defeating the purpose of Radeon Settings then, I guess, you just have to wait until you get Radeon Settings to work on your computer.

|

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Nvidia 

On Wed, 30 May 2018 at 14:55, elstaci<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv7966443663 * #yiv7966443663 a #yiv7966443663 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv7966443663 #yiv7966443663 h1, #yiv7966443663 h2, #yiv7966443663 h3, #yiv7966443663 h4, #yiv7966443663 h5, #yiv7966443663 h6, #yiv7966443663 p, #yiv7966443663 hr {}#yiv7966443663 .yiv7966443663button td {}

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

|

same problem persist "driver mismatch" !?! 

0 Likes

Hello, the people who told me, that I wait until some day again to work radeon settings, were those of the technical support of AMD. That indicates that AMD's technical support is not paying attention to this problem.

I was also told that, there are few people with this problem and that is a lie, there are a lot of people with this problem, and the only solution according to AMD is to format the PC. I already read post where formatting does not solve the problem either. I'm going to keep opening complaints in AMD's technical support all the time, until someday fix this problem, or tell me how to fix it correctly.

AMD does not need anyone to defend it, it needs people who work to fix problems quickly, people who have knowledge to fix problems, or you forget that you pay for your products and assists. They do not tell me (AMD technical support) that they are working to fix it, and that is what makes me wrong. It only makes excuses trying to make the user responsible for the problem, and giving it to understand, that is the only one who has the problem, and this is a lie, and this, the only thing that does, is that one gets angry.

I ask everyone who has this problem to complain to AMD technical support at this address: customercare@amdsupport.tech

It is the only way to have a chance to solve this problem.

Its been a knoen bug for weeks why havent /cant you fix it ?? Instead telling us to install other programmes and its yr computer causing it we arent programmers here to do your job of fixing it were customers who are waited for a fix to this dtiver settibgs incompatible problem .... 

On Tue, 29 May 2018 at 19:11, anlenin<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv6858465536 * #yiv6858465536 a #yiv6858465536 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6858465536 #yiv6858465536 h1, #yiv6858465536 h2, #yiv6858465536 h3, #yiv6858465536 h4, #yiv6858465536 h5, #yiv6858465536 h6, #yiv6858465536 p, #yiv6858465536 hr {}#yiv6858465536 .yiv6858465536button td {}

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

I have one negative effect replacing "radeonsettings.exe" - Custom Resolution button disappears in Settings -> Display. I need it, unfortunately.

|

Just want to make sure you realize because it does not sound like you do. These forums the people you are talking to here are users just like you. This is a peer to peer forum. The links at the top of the forums explains this. You are not talking to AMD. We don't fix the drivers nor do we have any influence on when what gets fixed happens if ever. Many of us just know of or figure out work arounds to help people out. So when you ask why someone isn't fixing the driver realize they can't and likely are trying to do the best by you they can. If you need help from AMD you need to open a support ticket. Good luck, I get this is a frustrating issue and you would think they could have found a way to overwrite the registry setting that is causing issue by now.

While i don't agree with that guys aggressive tone,just to put in a small note,there are AMD technical support engineers in theses forums and some of whom have replied to this thread so when he does say "why hasnt it been fixed yet" im pretty sure he means them and not you and those guys DO have influence over the drivers and fixes,so i would suggest you remove your post because its absolutely pointless and this isnt reddit where you can make "good posts" and farm karma or whatever 

Yes there are 2 mods, and maybe the answer 1% of the messages here. If you want amd help you need to open a ticket unless you want an exercise in futility in most cases. This is all explained in the forum header information. These are peer to peer forums. There is no guarantee a MOD will help. With a support ticket you get that help. So no I don't need to remove my post, you need to read the forum headers, I want to get the guy the help he needs in the shortest time possible. Typically this forum is not the way to get an answer from AMD, just peers that may have help you need. So thanks for telling me what to do. I was just letting the guy know he should open a ticket if he wants to let AMD know and he still should.

0 Likes

The people here have already opened support tickets and all they get is canned responses,any actual response we got was from ray_m who replied to this thread so there is no need to bash that guy for asking an update or their progress on solving this(albeit he could do it in a softer tone).

I was not bashing anyone. I just know the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It has been brought up here before, even by the moderators themselves that the more support tickets they get on an issue the higher the priority for the engineers to get if fixed. It is not uncommon for a thread here to have many people having a problem but only one or two of them submitting a ticket. You should also resubmit those tickets each time a driver comes out and does not fix the issue. Unless it is noted as a known issue.

0 Likes

What you said is true about AMD Forums having AMD Technical Support Engineers. But their job is to moderate the Forums. Sometimes if they see something that they believe is important or affects a large number of Users negatively, they will notify AMD Support and let them know. The AMD Tech Support Engineers themselves advise the Users to open a AMD Support Ticket. That is not the job of the Moderators here at AMD Forums.

So, pokester​ comment is still valid. I imagine the Moderators need to follow some sort of SOP regarding issues that arises in the Forums. The Moderators "Can't Fix" anything and just do the same thing as a User does by reporting it to AMD Support. Granted, their suggestions has more weight than a normal User opening a Ticket but only AMD Support can fix anything and not the Moderators. They can give their input as far as what is happening with the issue from AMD Support that is it.

If I am wrong, hopefully the AMD Moderators will set me straight so as not to give false information concerning their jobs as Moderators.

0 Likes

I apologise 

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 at 21:34, elstaci<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv4084377187 * #yiv4084377187 a #yiv4084377187 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv4084377187 #yiv4084377187 h1, #yiv4084377187 h2, #yiv4084377187 h3, #yiv4084377187 h4, #yiv4084377187 h5, #yiv4084377187 h6, #yiv4084377187 p, #yiv4084377187 hr {}#yiv4084377187 .yiv4084377187button td {}

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

What you said is true about AMD Forums having AMD Technical Support Engineers. But their job is to moderate the Forums. Sometimes if they see something that they believe is important or affects a large number of Users negatively, they will notify AMD Support and let them know. The AMD Tech Support Engineers themselves advise the Users to open a AMD Support Ticket. That is not the job of the Moderators here at AMD Forums.

So, pokester comment is still valid. I imagine the Moderators need to follow some sort of SOP regarding issues that arises in the Forums. The Moderators "Can't Fix" anything and just do the same thing as a User does by reporting it to AMD Support. Granted, their suggestions has more weight than a normal User opening a Ticket but only AMD Support can fix anything and not the Moderators. They can give their input as far as what is happening with the issue from AMD Support that is it.

If I am wrong, hopefully the AMD Moderators will set me straight so as not to give false information concerning their jobs as Moderators.

|

0 Likes

To my knowledge what you said is correct and is what the forum guidelines say too.

Taken from the guidelines first entry:

1. AMD SUPPORT FORUM. This is a forum for end users to get together and provide peer to peer support.

Ray_AMD
Community Manager

We appreciate the feedback provided and we continue to investigate the issue.