cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wddragon1
Journeyman III

Intel I7-8705G - Radeon Rx Vega M GL getting Video TDR failure (atikmpag.sys), error comes up appox 10 mins into each game I play, Ex: Rainbow 6, Diablo 3...

This is on a HP Spectre - any help will be greatly appreciated, driver is on the latest version as far as I can tell. Let me know what additional info I can provide.

0 Likes
7 Replies
akraen
Journeyman III

Same issue here, though possibly not as frequent. I also have the HP Spectre x360 15 ch004 with Vega M GL.

I absolutely love this laptop and how powerful the Vega chip is, however I am worried about a lack of support. I have tried various drivers, from Intel's NUC, to Dell's version, to the Vega drivers right from AMD's site. I also did a factory reset and loaded the stock drivers from HP again.

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE issue persists through all of that.

I mostly play Witcher 3, though it has also happened with World of Warcraft and even the old Deus Ex: Revision

I suspect it has to do with the dynamic wattage component of the i7-8705G. CPU and GPU might fight each other for the juice.

0 Likes

Could you please furnish the link to the AMD graphics driver you found on the AMD site for Mobility Vega? Love to see it.

0 Likes

I kid you not it is just the Vega driver. There is no Vega M driver on the AMD site. However, there are no errors when installing and it actually takes. YMMV, when I tried the official Vega drivers I would sometimes BSOD from desktop.

It surprised me when the install worked though.

Best performance I had in Witcher 3 and Far Cry Primal was with the driver from the Intel NUC page, but the TDR crashes were more frequent. Download Radeon* Graphics Driver for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK

I would like to see some properly updated drivers though, even with the new bios from HP and -.125mV offset this thing is as hot as a nuclear reactor when gaming.

0 Likes

These drivers for new OEM Mobility graphics should be from the manufacturer. AMD does not have them available on the site. Best bet it to use what the mfg offers.

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer has customized the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Driver:

AMD provides generic reference drivers for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics with limited support for notebook specific features and functions.

0 Likes

Well, yes, obviously the most likely to be stable drivers are from the manufacturer.

The problem here is the drivers from HP are causing a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE issue for many users, including the OP. Even after a stock refresh I still get VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, with stock HP drivers.

I only tried various other driver packages in hopes that I could learn more or see different results. I am surprised that the drivers on HP's site are from February. Given how new the i7-8705G/Vega M GL chip is, I thought there would be more frequent updates to help fix some of these bugs.

I am advanced user, so I can get around a lot of problems by undervolting and other troubleshooting-- things a customer should not have to know how to do out of the box. My worry is that responsibility for this collaboration unit will pingpong from manufacturer to AMD to Intel and that there simply won't be sufficient support for the user.

0 Likes

You should be talking to the laptop manufacturers' technical support. How are you doing all these things? What program are you using to undervolt 'and other things'? Be sure to explain to them what you have done to make their configuration better.

For the average user, use what you are supplied by the laptop manufacturer. If it doesn't work 'out of the box' then immediately contact their support department. Don't try to fix it yourself or follow some unknowns advice.

You must know that the processor plays a part in laptop switchable graphics. Check Intel...they have drivers as well....as shown below.

Laptop graphics update...How to

https://community.amd.com/message/2862527#comment-2862527

0 Likes

Even easier > Downloads for Graphics Drivers

Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics

Version: 23.20.792.2048 (Latest) Date: 5/11/2018

Detailed Description

Important Note:
This download is one of two graphics drivers necessary for platforms with Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics. First download and install the latest Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10, then download and install this driver second. When uninstalling, please follow the same process & order, uninstall the Intel then the Radeon graphics drivers.

Purpose
This download installs the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Windows® 10.

What is new?
This driver enables graphics for platforms with Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics.

0 Likes