cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

The AMD GPU story is sad.

AMD,

I have an R9 390 GPU and want to upgrade but the sad truth is that you haven't really released a new GPU in 3 years that could replace the R9 390. I've been considering an RX 580 which in some small ways is an improvement, but it's just not worth it to me. I would be paying $520 for a GPU that gives about 1% speed improvement, up to 9% fps improvement in some games and in other games performs worse than my R9 390. I'm sorry but that's laughable. And RX Vega does not even rate, never did rate, because of the price and because of stability issues. Compare the RX Vega 56 to 1080, the 1080 is $200 less and gives 30-80% greater performance, that makes the RX Vega a ridiculous proposition, how it's even selling is beyond me. I'm a huge AMD fan, and I strongly believe in diversity in the market. But I honestly can't justify buying an RX 580 for $520 that gives no discernable upgrade. As sad as it makes me, and I'm feeling totally crap that I can't have free sync in my next GPU, I'm going to have to switch sides and get a 1070 Ti or 1080.

Why can't you get your act together and release a new GPU ? You did well with Ryzen, but you've done absolutely nothing in the GPU space. It's so disappointing that you're becoming irrelevant there. <deleted rant about you're failing to address crypto demand>

Is there anything on the horizon? I just see no hope for AMD in graphics, which is just terrible. Please do something.

9 Replies

Well they have until October to release something because I need something better for Battlefield.

The same people that thought mobile was taking over desktop obviously thought that we'd all be running low power APU's. I'll give you some advice AMD, computers need to get MORE powerful, not less. We won't be running 4K AR, VR and raytracing/rasterizing hybrid engines on phones and laptops. We need much more powerful computers.

noodles59
Miniboss

Thanks for the hint, Gavin!

I too was looking into the RX Vega and find it horrendously expensive here in OZ ( $1K+)

…. I won't splash a GRAND for a GPU (ever)

0 Likes

I'm in Australia as well, so you know my frustration, we have outrageous prices. And $1000 is too much for me too. As it is, I'm eyeballing the 1070Ti for $750, that's even too much but I'm gonna have to spend the money for an upgrade, because there's no choice.

I think AMD knows the mistake they made, I heard something a while back about their admission of taking a wrong step with not progressing with desktop technologies. Luckily the Ryzen releases have been the dream return to the industry, I'm rocking the R5 1600 and very happy with my purchase. But it's like their GPU team didn't get the memo that desktop gaming didn't die with the invention of mobile phones. Here we are, mid 2018, and no affordable AMD GPU's are being released or even talked about. And forget about roadmaps, who cares about roadmaps when 1070's and 1080's are sitting in the store.

Not sure if you maybe have been dialed out of reality for the past year and somehow missed the news, and I in no way mean that as an insult but those high prices on GPU's are not AMD's prices. This is RETAIL INFLATION due to the law of supply and demand. The crypto currency market is and has been buying every card they can get there hands on for a long time. Nobody and this include Nvidia, the situation on price and availablity has been virutually the same but at time a little lesser as the Radeons are the preferred card of choice for many miners. The RX580 was never a replacement for your card, the VEGA is. Unfortunately the price tag puts it out of your reach. NVidia also then has no card to sell you either at a price point that offers you value. The only thing that could fix this is more cards available and manufacturing is planned a couple years in advance, nobody could have foreseen this or ramped up enough to fix it, or they would have. AMD nor Nvidia made a cent more that the initial MSRP they always had on the cards. Only the retail channel benefited. The only benefit that manufacturing had was that they sold everything they made which is obviously great. AMD does have some interesting stuff coming and so does Nvidia only time will tell how they stack up to each other. If and when the Vegas are back at MSRP they are a heck of an improvement at the price point you are wanting to spend. Good luck and I certainly understand your frustration. I would have another card right now too if I could afford it.

0 Likes

"Only the retail channel benefited"

Any manufacturer is free to set a *binding* retail price hence they would sell much more.. but up to 'em to shoot in their feet (in certain countries at least)

0 Likes
jellemees
Adept II

As long as AMD cards are more popular for mining, there isn't much you can do about it.

The Vega 56 is actualy a decent card to replace your R9 390x, especially when overclocked.

I did this upgrade before the prices went up, and I'm very satisfied. I had the 390x just like  you.

I can play Battlefield 1 on Ultra at 2688x1512 so I expect it will be able to run Battlefield V at least at 1080P ultra.

0 Likes

jellemees wrote:

As long as AMD cards are more popular for mining, there isn't much you can do about it.

The Vega 56 is actualy a decent card to replace your R9 390x, especially when overclocked.

I did this upgrade before the prices went up, and I'm very satisfied. I had the 390x just like you.

I can play Battlefield 1 on Ultra at 2688x1512 so I expect it will be able to run Battlefield V at least at 1080P ultra.

My HD 6970 came from a digital coin miner, he put a new Arctic cooler on it, I use the card for over 2 years before I got the HD 7870 I still use now.

With 20 GCN cores, its enough for 1920x1080 gaming. More GCN cores are not really going to help much.

0 Likes

Hi,
If you have not purchased anything yet, hold off for another month or two until we see what Nvidia release this year.
GTX1080 and 1080Ti prices will likely fall further.
Bye.

0 Likes