cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

thokra
Adept II

OpenGL ES SDK seems to be gone. Canonical way to create native ES contexts on Windows?

Hey everybody!

First, a minor issue: please whitelist me - I've been an orderly member since 2009.

Now for the actual problem - please bear in mind that I currently don't have access to AMD hardware but I still need to make sure of cross-vendor capable code.

While developing our in-house 3D engine and toolchain I stumbled upon the AMD peculiarity (or rather the everyone-else peculiarity if one is honest) that ES context creation is not exposed via WGL_EXT_create_context_es2_profile​​ but via the above mentioned native SDK. The issue is: the former link is dead and there is nothing to be found on GPUOpen. I don't want to be forced to use ANGLE if I can have a perfectly valid, native context instead across vendors - having everything translated to D3D is especially cumbersome in debugging session with a frame debugger.

Is it intentional that the SDK is not available anymore? Has its location been reassigned? Has there been a shift in strategy and the aforementioned extension is now supported?

Thank you!

P.S.: Any insight into why NVIDIA and Intel prefer exposing GLES via WGL instead of offering an EGL implementation would be very much appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Nah, I'll just stick with ANGLE on AMD devices then.

Thanks anyway!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

Nah, I'll just stick with ANGLE on AMD devices then.

Thanks anyway!

0 Likes