cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

carlos70
Journeyman III

why are the motherboards not supporting the new apu's out of the box? and to be honest wish i never bought the Ryzen 5 2400g it's be a nightmare to deal with

why are the motherboards not supporting the new apu's out of the box? and to be honest wish i never bought the Ryzen 5 2400g  it's be a nightmare to deal with we buy the ryzen 5 2400g and get know support from the motherboards so at this point i have contacted a lawyer to recoup my time and money i will not buy something then be told i have to wait 14 to 30 day to even use it

0 Likes
10 Replies

No information on your computer setup to give a educated answer : INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION .

If you are using Windows 10 x64, MSI Support has two important recent updates to the BIOS and AMD CHIPSET that might make your APU work better. Support For B350 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

BIOS - 7A34v1G - 03/20/2018

AMD CHIPSET DRIVER - 03/28/2018

This is from MSI Support concerning the minimum BIOS you need for your APU:

RYZEN 5Raven RidgeYD2400C5M4MFB2400G1003.62M4MB065AMDRadeonVega11 1250MHz7A34v1C.zip

Also make sure the DDR4 RAM you have installed on your motherboard is listed as being compatible with a Ryzen 5 2400g APU.

i used a MSI  b650m gaming pro that is 7 gen but after i bought it just to find out needed updated so why are the motherboards not supporting the new apu's out of the box? and why is up to us to fix there problem

0 Likes

I'm assuming you meant b350m as b650 isn't a thing.  Short answer, the b350 and x370 motherboards were made and shipped to stores before the new UEFIs were released supporting the new APUs.  Meaning it was impossible to update them while they sat in a box on the shelf.  b450 and X470 boards all support new pinnacle ridge processors right out of the box.  Also, b350 and x370 boards that have a 2nd Gen Ryzen ready sticker have already been upgraded to the newer UEFI.  Failing that, you could ask the store you purchased from to do the upgrade at the time of purchase.

If non of those things are appealing, yes, you can do it yourself with a kit shipped from AMD.  So to answer your question, many motherboards are supporting the new APUs out of the box.  And it isn't up to you to fix the problem, unless of course the motherboard you want doesn't come with a second gen ready sticker, and the store you bought it from refuses to do the upgrade for you.

and may i add i bought this B350m motherboard this month and as we both know this is may 2 months after so that being said in the time frame i would think and i would also think any court would agree it falls under false advertisement as when i bought Ryzen 5 2400g the motherboard  was suggested  by the retailer and  no where did it  mention this problem so my friend this is where in fact false advertisement  and i do have a open case with the retailer and the maker of the board as i can and have proved there  advertisement does not say i will have to update the bios so if there going to sell there back stock off it should be marked as so in the advertisement witch it is not and that is  false advertisement

0 Likes

The retailer didn't lie to you when it said the board was Ryzen 2xxx series compatible. It is.  As long as it has the correct BIOS installed. That is not false advertisement. False advertisement is when the Motherboard's box is advertising that the Motherboard is Ryzen 2xxx series compatible and it is not with or without a BIOS update. Motherboard makers don't know what new CPU will be coming out in the future when the Motherboard is manufactured. So they install the latest BIOS at that time for the latest CPU at that time. The Ryzen 2xxx series came out AFTER that board was manufactured and boxed for sale. Omitting something in advertising is not False Advertising. If the motherboard didn't mention that it was Ryzen 2xxx series compatible on the box it just means the BIOS hasn't been updated to support the Ryzen 2xxx series CPU. Like ajlueke​ mentioned, the Ryzen 2xxx series Motherboards does advertise on the box when it has the proper BIOS to support the Ryzen 2xxx series CPU.

0 Likes

at the end of the day i don't have a working product and don't see any time

soon that i will . we can debate who's right at know end but all i want is

a working product know more know less and i do not have that

0 Likes

If I was in your position, I would be very upset also. knowing I just spent a lot of money on an expensive Motherboard and CPU and I can't use it because the BIOS is outdated when I purchased the Motherboard.

I imagine since you opened the motherboard box and installed it, it is not returnable to be replaced with a similar Motherboard that is compatible with the Ryzen 2xxx series CPU. Am I correct. The store won't accept it back since you installed the Motherboard.

If that is the case,

Then you are going to need to request a AMD BOOT KIT to flash the new BIOS on your Motherboard. Unable to Boot New Desktop System Configured with AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen™ Desktop Processor, and A... .

In the above link it has a link to AMD WARRANTY form for you to start the process to get a Boot kit: AMD Warranty Request Form

The AMD BOOT KIT provides a Ryzen that the motherboard supports thus you then are able to flash the new BIOS to the version that supports the new Ryzen CPU.

It may take awhile since you don't seem to live in N.America. so the next best thing is try to find or borrow a Ryzen 1xxx series CPU/APU and temporarily install it and then upgrade your BIOS on your motherboard. Then install the Ryzen 2xxx series CPU. Make sure your RAM Memory modules are listed under the motherboard's Memory Compatibility list so you won't have problem with your Ryzen CPU afterwards.

Or go to MSI Support and see if they will RMA your motherboard and upgrade your BIOS for you or replace the motherboard with a updated BIOS. You probably will have to pay shipping costs to RMA the motherboard back to MSI.

0 Likes

yes true and having to take it back apart really don't make me happy but at

this point what choice do i have when i am out all this money with out a

working product

0 Likes

and where i live know one uses AMD it's all intel so not like i can

just borrow

a cpu i understand the Bios and feel i will have a good product when the

build is done but it dose make you mad when all you truly want is a

working product and i live in the untied states so you wouldn't think i

would have this much trouble

0 Likes