cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cygnus_x1
Adept II

Device Driver hardware description has changed...

A bit puzzled. Yesterday when I was looking for a driver, the device driver said I had...

AMD Radeon (TM) R5 330

AMD Radeon (TM) R7 Graphics

Today, after reinstalling AMD Crimson 18.2.1 it says I have

AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M320

AMD Radeon (TM) R7 Graphics

Is the M320 the same as the 330 ? Why would it change the actual hardware description ?

0 Likes
3 Replies

yes. If you install your Laptop's driver from the manufacturer it will indicate the correct GPUs in your laptop. But AMD Drivers are generic and sometimes shows a different GPU even though it is the same type of GPU.

atlasminor
Challenger

As mentioned above, it is normal to see  the name change not that AMD official drivers are generic, they are more of a big bundle that windows has to guess ( Best possible match).

Only way you would be able to set a known name / ID would be through the UEFI options, which you wont see unless your buy Performance Grade boards. They managed to find a way to make everyone still get what they pay for.

It would be nice if they would have just brought back DIP Switch's back to the boards, you would then be able to dial in your hardware like back in the 1980's computers.

That's also about the time Atari found out Instant-On computers were about as bad of a idea as it gets. Check out the Atari-ST for further info, they pretty much knew back then manufacturing wasted all money spent on locked PCB's. They could not reuse any of the previous products to make any new systems out of, anyways,

your fine long as you understand all that.

0 Likes