cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

anorxya
Journeyman III

Is AMD Radeon 520 and AMD Radeon R5 M330 the same thing?

Just got a laptop with Radeon 520 GPU written on the box as well as on the device manager. But after updating the driver using auto detect software from AMD website, it changed to Radeon R5 M330. The processor is A9-9420 with Radeon R5 (APU).

0 Likes
4 Replies

0 Likes

Followed the method (even performed clean install), but the software still detect the GPU as R5 m330. But after installing windows update (which somehow re-installing the Crimson ReLive software) it revert back to Radeon 520. I think the problem is with Adrenalin software or perhaps Crimson ReLive in detecting the GPU. I also heard that R5 M330 and 520 are the same thing (based on performance) and I heard some people also have the same problem with M430 GPU. Maybe they're build based on the same architecture, I don't know. Since that there is no significant change in the performance after switching between 2 radeon software, I think it is not really a big problem.

0 Likes

As stated in the link I posted:

Correct Answerby ray_m Employee on Jan 10, 2018 9:41 AM

Graphics cards in laptop computers are customized by the manufacturer to meet their specific design requirements,.

AMD provided reference drivers for laptop products that use a generic Device ID. This has no impact on  performance,

If you want the GPU to appears exactly as specified by the manufacturer, you will need to use drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer.

2 of 2 people found this helpfulSee the answer in context

0 Likes

AMD Radeon 520 GPU - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech

"The new chip is not based on the Polaris architecture from 2016, but the old one that was introduced with the Radeon R5 M230 in 2014 and later used in the M330 and M430 / M440 / M445."

0 Likes