Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

grantelb4rt
Adept II

Sudden death of Sapphire R9 Fury?

Hello Guys and Girls,

is it possible for my Graphicscard to just have suddenly died? I was casually browsing the Internet, suddenly both my Monitors went dark, the PC shut down and restarted itself. First thought was a Powerloss, but the Monitors and all other Electronics were still running. After that there was no more Video signal from my R9 Fury Nitro. But I heard the Windows welcome sound, so I plugged my Monitor into the onboard GPU where I got a Video Signal.

In the Device-Manager the only Videocard shown was the Intel iGPU one. Same with the BIOS, the Mainboard did not even recognize that there was a Card installed in the PCI-E Slot.

So naturally i tried the following:

1. Reseating Power Cables and Videocard
  2. clear CMOS
  3. flash new BIOS
  4. switching V-BIOS (BIOS Button on Card)
  5. second PCI-E slot
  6. different Video output
  7. only Keyboard plugged into PC
  8. checking PSU Voltage on PCI-E Connectors (was at 12.17V)

But all of those things didnt have any success.

The GPU in a different PC yields the same results. A different Videocard is recognized, so the Mainboard and CPU are not at Fault.

I had issues with the DP Video out since I had the Card. Could this be a late effect of that Problem? (Video of the Issue: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro Screen Flickering - YouTube )

Anybody else had similar Problems with any Graphicscard? Really would be a shame if that card died on me after 1.5 years, especially considering the current Videocard market...

I have the feeling that there is nothing I can do, but I thought I might as well ask for some other Opinions

System specs:

• i5 3570k
  • Asus P8Z77-V
  • 4x4GB 1333Mhz DDR3
  • Superflower Amptec 750W
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Benq GW2765
0 Likes
49 Replies

The seller was Mindfactory from Germany

Hi,

Great news.
Glad to hear they did this for you.
Who was the Seller?
It would be good if you let people know so that others hear about their good returns policy.

RE: So I will probably switch to the dark side, since the Vega cards are still way to expensive for the Performance they offer.

At least I will be able to use my PC again without any Performance disadvantages.

I have been putting off buying a new (not second hand) card until I saw how AIB Vegas would pan out.
You might find this review interesting: Gigabyte RX Vega 64 - Has Vega Improved? - 2018 Update - YouTube

Prices are coming down but I am waiting again to see what cards come out next from both Nvidia and AMD.
Today I would but new Zotac 1080Ti Mini to fit my requirement of never buy > 2 slot high card, and keep performance/power consumption as low as possible. 

In a few months who knows.

Right now Vega 64 AIB (all >2 slot high) /Liquid is priced at or over Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini.
The only Vega 56 I would consider, the 2 slot high PowerColor Vega 56 at it costs as much as an MSI 1080 Gaming Card.

Bye.

0 Likes

I will still wait for a bit longer.. New cards will probably be announced in June and the GPU prices are still dropping. So playing the waiting game could be worth it.

the bottom has fallen out on prices now for radeon cards on ebay

rx 570 4gb seen for $75 recently,

been more interested in the rx 580 8gb card which has more shaders, they are barely above $100

Hi,

Thanks. I will take a look at Ebay and take a look at if prices to see if they have dropped below the cost of new AMD GPU's from retailers. They would have to be very cheap for me to risk purchasing one at the moment though.
The cost of new AMD retail GPU's like RX Vega 56 for 250 is getting so low though, they have a Warranty, and you get the 3 free game codes if you are interested in them.

Thanks.

0 Likes

I have to figure out where you guys buy your cards? I just looked at microcenter, newegg and amazon and can't find prices on either of those cards anywhere near what you are suggesting. Is that US Dollars? Be careful buying from ebay many cards may be counterfeit or used if the price is well below normal pricing. 

the cards are ex mining which are flooding ebay with a vengeance

0 Likes

If someone purchases a ex-mining GPU card, would the new owner need to flash the vBIOS  of the ex-mining GPU Card?

Seems like many Miners modify the vBIOS on the GPU card to make it more efficient in mining. Which causes problems when not used for mining. I got this impression from other Miniers on other Forums mentioning they modified the vBIOS on the GPU cards to make them work better with mining.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

If someone purchases a ex-mining GPU card, would the new owner need to flash the vBIOS  of the ex-mining GPU Card?

Seems like many Miners modify the vBIOS on the GPU card to make it more efficient in mining. Which causes problems when not used for mining. I got this impression from other Miniers on other Forums mentioning they modified the vBIOS on the GPU cards to make them work better with mining.

I have bought ex mining cards, the HD 6970 was such a card. Came with an Arctic 3 fan cooler which made the card run much cooler. Got the card very cheap and it worked fine with every game I had too.

The Asus HD 7870 is more powerful and it uses half the power so I have retired that card.   

Some use Custom ROMs but they at least have the presence of mind to backup the OEM ROM before they flash it.Most custom work actually downclocks the card slightly to make it more thermally stable.

Now such cards are usually flashed back to normal before sale as gamers flock for discounted cards to upgrade their rigs.

First of all: Crazy that this thread is still active

And yeah, you are right, Radeon prices experience a huge drop atm... So I took the chance and bought a Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse (again from Mindfactory) for 300€ about 4 weeks ago.

I was thinking about going Nvidia, but after using a Friends GTX 770 for the time, I am super happy being back with AMD. I like the drivers alot better, and I like AMD as a company way better. 

The Card is cool, quiet, clocks okay, and 3 free AAA Games is a nice Bonus.

Though its bottlenecking my old i5 now, so this summer I will start going all AMD with Ryzen 3000