cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

programcrazy
Adept I

FPS instability with Adrenaline 18.4.1 possibly due to power draw reduction?

Hi, so I have updated my Radeon drivers from 18.2.1 to 18.4.1 and I have noticed some big framerate decreases and instabilities. I uninstalled MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner and the Radeon drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled everything. This did not seem to fix the issue. After reinstalling everything and loading into a Fortnite with my MSI On-Screen Display toggled on, I've noticed the Power Draw was extremely low on the loading screen. It was 15w-20w. When I got into a match, the power wattage was between 95w-115w when it normally is around 145w-165w. Normally, I play Fornite at Medium settings with Far render distance and my framerates are between 120fps to 165fps. Now with the low wattage, they are between 40fps to 90fps. Thank you for reading.

• AMD Graphics Card: XFX RX 580 4gb
  • Desktop or Laptop System: Desktop
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed Radeon Adrenaline 18.4.1
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision: Asrock AB350 Pro4 - Bios Version 4.70
  • CPU/APU: Ryzen 1300x @3.9 GHz
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage: Corsair CXM 550W bronze
  • RAM: 8gb
0 Likes
14 Replies

I'll try to disable ULPS when I get back home, but I'm pretty sure I have it disabled in afterburner. I don't understand why this would happen though when I haven't experienced this problem until this version.

0 Likes

You have to delete afterburner from your computer. It conflicts with AMD/Wattman settings and controls. delete it...not disable it.

Power Limit set to the max + value...slide all the way to the right.

Also, your graphics card requires a 550 watt PS....how old is yours? power supplies lose efficiency after a time.

Still no results, My PSU is only a few months old

0 Likes

"I uninstalled MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner and the Radeon drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled everything."

"After reinstalling everything and loading into a Fortnite with my MSI On-Screen Display toggled on, I've noticed the Power Draw was extremely low on the loading screen."

1.The MSI On-Screen Display is part of Afterburner.

2.Did you set your Power Limit?

3. Do you have your computer power plan set to "Performance" and not "Balanced"?

0 Likes

"I uninstalled MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner and the Radeon drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled everything."

"After reinstalling everything and loading into a Fortnite with my MSI On-Screen Display toggled on, I've noticed the Power Draw was extremely low on the loading screen."

1. I've reinstalled everything that I uninstalled - AMD drivers, Afterburner and Rivertuner

2. Power limit is at max

3. Power plan is at performance

0 Likes

Did you miss the part about Afterburner and/or any third party graphics controller (Rivatuner) conflicting with the AMD/Wattman controls?

I'm out, maybe someone else can explain it better.

0 Likes

Yes, I did read that, I no longer have those running. I've been using HW monitor to monitor wattage.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

• AMD Graphics Card: XFX RX 570 4gb
  • Desktop or Laptop System: Desktop
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed Radeon Adrenaline 18.4.1

pretty much same here and my RX570 4GB improved 3DMark score Skydiver by ~250 points to 19784 in UHD mode

I am just sayin' it's no an AMD driver issue

the_slayer
Adept III

I've had this problem getting harder in the latest 2 weeks give more or less, but rolling back to older drivers I found it didn't solve itself. I've Always had it but in the past it happened randomly, now it's permanent, idk if it's Windows 10 fault.

You can try to roll back to an older driver and check if it still happens the same.

0 Likes
programcrazy
Adept I

I've also noticed that my GPU usage is very low in games. It never goes above 80% and usually stays between 40%-70%. Is that normal?

0 Likes

Delete Afterburner. Delete Rivatuner. Not disable...delete.

Power Limit at max +value (slide all the way to right.

Computer power plan set to ;Performance'.

Read all the previous posts.

0 Likes
programcrazy
Adept I

Alright, I've reverted back to 18.2.1, 3rd party programs have been long gone, in performance mode, and power limit is set to max. Still having the same issue.

GPU usage and wattage takes a dive whenever the task seems to intensify.

GPU Usage problem - YouTube

When I look at a mountain, GPU usage and wattage is normal, when I look at tilted towers, it plunges.

My brother is running an Rx 480 and he gets better framerates than I do. His GPU usage stays at 99% or 100% and his wattage is 130w+

0 Likes
programcrazy
Adept I

Bump, this is ridiculous.

0 Likes