cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

supercomputer
Journeyman III

FX 6300 Unresponsive

Recently, my FX 6300 Black Edition CPU had failed.

Beforehand, I had noticed that the computer would suddenly black out and restart without warning, doing so multiple times per day. I noticed that sometimes the computer simply wouldn't turn on afterwards unless I waited about 5 minutes. However, at one point, it just died.

The computer was completely unresponsive. Whenever I clicked the power button, the power LEDs and fans would all turn on, but then turn off a split second later. Even spamming the power button did not cause the CPU to heat up at all, which is unusual for a CPU without a cooling fan (I removed it after the computer died). At first I thought the issue was the PSU, but after testing with another one, I figured that the reason was something else. My next suspect was the motherboard. However, I noticed that if I replaced my FX 6300 with an Athlon x2 250 (an old CPU I had as a spare), the computer would power on and function as usual, with no errors or restarts. I also had a spare motherboard which I used to test the FX 6300. The motherboard would not turn on.

I have heard 2 theories so far.

#1: The motherboard could be slowly dying, and simply not able to work with a processor of this magnitude.

#2: Because the motherboard worked perfectly with another CPU, the 6300 is most likely dead.

I have filed a warranty form for the CPU, but meanwhile, I would like to know what could've happened, and why.

My Specs are the following.

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

CPU: FX 6300 Black Edition

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

RAM: (x4) Patriot Intel Extreme Master Limited Edition 8GB DDR3

0 Likes
2 Replies
gto_pro
Adept III

did u install the cpu heatsink corectly on the fx cpu ? did u take out the bios battery and reset the bios i found out when i had that cpu that it wouldnt want to boot anymore without the stock bios with amd turbo core and all that stuff set to default also u didnt say what the power supply wattage is

0 Likes

I had reset the CMOS (removing battery) multiple times in many different combinations. None of them affected the results. The PSU wattage is 600W, more then enough to run the computer (since switching PSUs changed nothing, it has nothing to do with the issue). The fan was correctly installed, though that wouldn't cause the computer to not be able to turn on.

0 Likes