cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alenity
Newcomer

R7 200 Graphics Card Won't Detect Correct Resolution of Second Widescreen Monitor

Hi,

I just got 2 widescreen 25" monitors that both use HDMI to connect to the graphics card. I do have to use an adapter on one since the graphics card only has 1 HDMI on it. I have the R7 200 Series. The issue is that it detects Monitor 1 in the correct screen resolution and has no issues. The second, exact same monitor, it detects at a smaller and incorrect resolution size. I have the drivers installed and I used that to allow 'virtual super resolution' in hope that it would work but while it did let me get a higher resolution, it is still incorrect and the proportions are distorted.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Replies

Have you tried changing the resolution through Windows 10 Settings - Display?  You can click on Monitor two and change the resolution or try several resolutions to see which one is the best.

Also what type of adapter are you using? Active or Passive or is it a cable adapter?

Just for testing only. change the adapter to the other monitor and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then the problem is with your Adapter.

0 Likes

Hi, I have Windows 7 but yes, I did go into display and try setting it through there as well as in the advance properties which opened up after I selected Virtual Super Resolution in the AMD client but not to the correct sizes. I need it to open up 2560x1080 and it only has 2560x1440, 2048x1536, 1920x1200, and 1920x1080.

How do you know if you have an active or passive adapter and which one do I need?

0 Likes

Try the cable with the adapter on the monitor that is showing the correct resolution. (switch cables on both monitors). If the problem changes with the adapter than you know it probably is the adapter at fault. If it doesn't then it probably some misconfiguration in either Windows or Radeon Settings.

If it isn't the adapter, try downloading a small free program called Custom Resolution Utility. Use that to install the 2560x1080 resolution back on the second monitor. I would put Radeon settings (unselect VSR) back to default concerning the monitors before using CRU.

This a very short answer about the difference between Active and Passive adapters: https://www.urtech.ca/2017/12/solved-difference-active-passive-displayport-adaptors/  and here a more in depth explaination: Active vs Passive DisplayPort Adapters - What You Need to Know - Exxact

i think it may be the adapter. How do i know which adapter to purchase. it doesnt say active or passive on th ebox

0 Likes

google the adapter model and see if it mentions whether it is active or passive.