cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

What are the Dimensions for an fx 9590 black? (for propper copper shim fitting.)

What are the Dimensions for an fx 9590 black? (for propper copper shim fitting.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

To tell you the truth, you are the first User that has mentioned about installing shims to make the CPU Cooler make proper contact with the CPU.

If you need "Shims" to make proper contact on the CPU by the CPU Cooler, than you have the wrong brackets install on your motherboard or you have the wrong CPU Cooler for the CPU.

I recently purchased and replaced my Stock CPU Cooler for my FX 8350 CPU with a Cooler Master 212x EVO because it seemed to be overheating under heavy loads even after cleaning the CPU Cooler and replacing the thermal paste. Now I can backup my computer and do other work without the CPU overheating. The Cooler Master CPU Cooler was not easy to install on the CPU. For a moment I thought I was going to damage either the Cooler or the CPU while trying to tighten down the screws on the bracket on the motherboard for the CPU Cooler.

So, I can sympathize about removing the CPU Cooler to try and measure the CPU. But In my opinion, you should never need "Shims" to install a CPU Cooler. Also most modern GPUs that use fans uses a Cowl with a heatsink and fan installed. When you install the Cowl it makes the proper contact with the GPU Chip for proper heat conduction. You shouldn't need "Shims" for the GPU card either.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Which dimensions are you looking for?  if its width x length, physically measure it with a tape measure.

0 Likes

I don't want to take off the cooler until I am replacing it with a liquid system. (It is a pain to get back on). My GPU requires copper shims for proper fitting, so I figured I would buy a spread of shims for the CPU as well just in case I need one. Just curious if the CPU is closer to 15x15mm or 20x20mm. These are the most common LxW sizes sold for copper shims. I was trying to avoid purchasing a full spread of thicknesses for both sizes if both processors take one or the other. But yes I suppose I can measure but I will probably buy both sizes so as not to have to replace that beast cool master.

0 Likes

To tell you the truth, you are the first User that has mentioned about installing shims to make the CPU Cooler make proper contact with the CPU.

If you need "Shims" to make proper contact on the CPU by the CPU Cooler, than you have the wrong brackets install on your motherboard or you have the wrong CPU Cooler for the CPU.

I recently purchased and replaced my Stock CPU Cooler for my FX 8350 CPU with a Cooler Master 212x EVO because it seemed to be overheating under heavy loads even after cleaning the CPU Cooler and replacing the thermal paste. Now I can backup my computer and do other work without the CPU overheating. The Cooler Master CPU Cooler was not easy to install on the CPU. For a moment I thought I was going to damage either the Cooler or the CPU while trying to tighten down the screws on the bracket on the motherboard for the CPU Cooler.

So, I can sympathize about removing the CPU Cooler to try and measure the CPU. But In my opinion, you should never need "Shims" to install a CPU Cooler. Also most modern GPUs that use fans uses a Cowl with a heatsink and fan installed. When you install the Cowl it makes the proper contact with the GPU Chip for proper heat conduction. You shouldn't need "Shims" for the GPU card either.

Thank you kindly for your time.

0 Likes

shims are never needed, it sounds like you have a bad cooler

i have water cooled processors before and never needed a shim

make sure the thermal material is as thin as possible to move heat away fastest

The cooler hasn't come yet, speaking with the coolers manufacturer, one rep said I would need a shim for my GPU, another said it will depend on my specific run of card. Something about dye height. So I wanted to be prepared for the need of a shim for the contact on the CPU as well. But if not neccessary I will focus on whether the GPU needs one or not. Ty.

0 Likes

I have an arctic GPU cooler on my HD 6970 and it has small coolers that are attached with thermal epoxy to each VRAM chip. Then the cooler itself mounts over the GPU ASIC and it then sits over the rest of the board. This makes the assembly a 3 slot mashup but it has three 80mm replaceable fans which means the cooler can last perpetually with maintenance

0 Likes