cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vocalhero
Adept I

HDMI Link Assurance makes "TV Input" pop up on screen every few seconds in perpetuity

Before I get into the issue, I'm running Windows 10 64 bit on an AMD FX8350 8 core Black Edition processor on a ASRock 970A-G3.1 mobo (although the problem occured the longest on an AMD FX6300 6 core on an ASUS M5A97 r.1 mobo) with 16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM with a Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB DDR5 video card and a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe SSD for OS/main game drive and a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD and a WD My Passport 4TB external HDD for storage. Possibly most importantly the monitor I'm running is a 32" Dynex 720p LCD HDTV. Not sure if this issue is specific to my make/model of TV, but here's what happened and the only thing that fixed it:

I just FINALLY figured this out, never in a million years did I think that switching the HDMI Link Assurance option "on" would have been the cause of the input info box popping up on my screen every few seconds FOREVER, but alas, for some inexplicable reason, it was the culprit. I tried everything, different cables, virtually every other Windows and Radeon setting imaginable, CLEAN re-installs of multiple Radeon Adrenalin driver packages, CLEAN installs of Windows, but nothing worked except switching off that pointless HDMI Link Assurance feature. All is assured me was a major annoyance and a constant headache for a number of months.

I'm really curious to know, has anyone else had this nightmarish issue? Does anyone know WHY it happens? Is there anything good that the horrible option even DOES? My computer's link to the TV seems perfectly fine without it, as a matter of fact it's about a thousand times better because a large portion of my screen isn't covered up by a blue box with the following text in it:

"HDMI 1
1360x768"

Anyone have an insight/feels for my pain? Lol. Thanks for listening to my rant, and AMD... FIX THIS GARBAGE FEATURE PLEASE!! Also Radeon Relive... Stop breaking it more every Adrenalin release. Kthx

0 Likes
2 Replies
blaine
Journeyman III

If you're using a Dynex 720p TV, you shouldn't be setting the resolution of your PC any higher than 1280x720. It sounds like you've got the resolution set to 1360x768. I think you'll find that setting the screen resolution to 1280x720 will allow you to re-enable HDMI Link without issue. If I'm not mistaken, HDMI Link Assurance attempts to confirm that your display is outputting the resolution that your graphics processor is sending correctly. If you're sending the TV a higher resolution than it can display, at best it's going to use some basic processing on its end to stretch or scale it down to fit. Even if it looks fine, this will at minimum introduce latency, which may not be noticeable in video but can really affect gaming if that's a part of your media diet.

Also, and I'm not sure about this, but HDMI Link Assurance may be necessary for displaying HDCP content. Primarily, that would affect playing back encrypted blu-ray disc videos (such as retail blu-ray movies), as one might do with Cyberlink PowerDVD.

0 Likes

Yikes, terribly sorry for how late this reply is. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, truth be told I forgot I had posted because I recently moved to a 1080p 32 inch and only use my 720p dynex for my NVR security system now. I will say though, 1360x768 was always said to be the native resolution of the TV by Windows and any video software I used, and setting it to anything else made everything way blurry and it never fit the panel. The only setting that was crisp and fit perfectly was 1360x768 or 1366x768 (still don't know why both of those are an option, 6 pixel difference? Really?? lol).

0 Likes