oeliemans
Journeyman III

Freesync driver issue

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: RX480 8GB

CPU: i5 6500

Operating System: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: 17.12.2

So i bought a new monitor ( LG 29um59 (21:9)) which has freesync built in; However i had the impression it wasnt working properly, so i checked some settings but it was turned on and all. I googled around and found the "AMD windmill" program to test freesync. It indeed wasnt working. I searched around a bit more and read somewhere to update the video driver through windows itself ( under settings - display - properties - driver - update driver) . After it did that , freesync worked! yeey! But then i couldnt open amd radeon anymore, it wasnt in the system tray, I couldnt open it through start menu or right clicking on desktopscreen. So i clicked on the latest version install.exe in my download folder, and it checked the version etc an dsort of "installed it". AMD radeon settings worked and were accesible again. But now freesync didnt work anymore :/ So i updated through windows again, now fressync worked again, but amd radeon settings disappeared again. And so the cycles continues.

I also just used DDU to wipe all drivers. windows 10 update installed video driver, freesync worked. Installed AMD Radeon drivers from their website, freesync stops working.

I hope this is enough information to help me?

0 Likes
1 Reply
ledude83
Journeyman III

It doesn't seem to be working here, either:

CPU: i5 7600k

RAM: 8 GB

GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro

Monitor: LG 34UM67 connected via DP cable

In Assetto Corsa, Freesync makes no difference at all or even appears to make matters worse at times. When the FPS drop to ~70 FPS the image stutters a lot.

The only conclusion I have is that it simply doesn't work. I don't know how to check, though - my monitor doesn't have a refresh rate overlay AFAIK.

0 Likes