cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mockingbird
Adept II

No AHCI driver exists for VEN_1022 DEV_43B7

Does AMD plan to release a driver for this or are we supposed to use the generic Microsoft driver from 2006?

CPU is Ryzen 2200G.  I downloaded "rv-win10-64bit-whql-radeon-software-17.40.3701-feb12" which is what is offered for it and looked through the driver packages.  There is no AHCI driver in the package at all.  All the chipset drivers on the AMD site only offer southbridge AHCI drivers, and as I understand it, 43B7 is built into the CPU itself.

Thanks

0 Likes
49 Replies

Please see my post above, there is no .inf file, we use the in the box driver provided by the OS.

0 Likes

I've read the whole thread before making my post. I always try to search for my particular problem to see if there are others with similiar issue, that perhaps even solved it by now, and to avoid making duplicate threads.

I've had issues with windows provided drivers since forever. Yes, they usually provide failsafe environment for hardware - works okay, but I'd never expect them to work fast or expect high performance, provide energy saving or full feature set. I expect from them only wide compatibility, and when something is for everybody, it's actually for nobody.

Ever since we got some workstations with windows 10 pro, at least two random PCs a month would break their own network drivers with the ones provided by microsoft. I don't know why they ignore group policy settings for that particular piece of hardware(there's one that disables hardware driver updates), but the only solution is to drive to the site and manually install the ones from realtek - otherwise they will lock up during network load or straight out fail to get an IP from DHCP. I don't even want to think what will happen if I rely on microsoft update to "fix" the outdated sata driver one day, nor I don't want to connect certain workstations to the internet to obtain a working(fast and current) sata driver. Some workstations are supposed to be permanently offline from the internet and I want them to be as fast as possible when I deploy them. I can't be sure of that when handling of crucial drivers are left to a third party - in this case microsoft - and not an actual product vendor.

What if you happen to find a bug with your chipset? These do happen, there's nothing to be ashamed of, but will you rely on microsoft to fix them then, and distribute these via microsoft update? And then I will have to take one of my workstations off site, update it after purging all sensitive user data, then redeploy it, instead of just updating the driver manually on site during scheduled maintenance, without the need of connecting it to the net?

I was unhappy we got a bunch of intel office pcs just before raven ridge came out, but considering there was no driver update for these since release, we might have been lucky. I am sorry if my post makes someone feel upset, or if someone sees it as aggressive - I'm pretty annoyed myself and it takes my all not to insult others considering recent turn of events.

I hope you reconsider releasing proper drivers for your recent products without the need to rely on windows update or generic windows drivers past PE Environment.

Alternatively, make them open source. Have a good day.

0 Likes

I'll be sure to pass all feedback received in this thread to driver engineering.

Excellent points angryuser1.

What if you happen to find a bug with your chipset? These do happen, there's nothing to be ashamed of, but will you rely on microsoft to fix them then, and distribute these via microsoft update? And then I will have to take one of my workstations off site, update it after purging all sensitive user data, then redeploy it, instead of just updating the driver manually on site during scheduled maintenance, without the need of connecting it to the net?

That is a very astute observation.  And I'd like to add that anyone that thinks they could bull the driver .cab of Windows Catalog is mistaken...  Generic Windows drivers are only released as part of an OS refresh.  So if you'd want to package the generic driver for offline use, you'd have to go to an updated system, find the pertinent .cat .sys and .inf, and then manually update these on offline stations...

amdmatt - you said you would pass my concerns over to engineering last time, then you came back a couple of days later and relayed from engineering to use the generic driver.  So obviously some brilliant maven over there at engineering decided that using generic MS drivers is standard operating procedure. 

0 Likes

What do all of you have to say to this?  An actual case claiming poor performance with MSAHCI and 43B7....

I didn't have time to test it when I had it, but I anticipate that I'll be building a new Ryzen system soon (this time with an SSD), so I might be able to confirm this poor result.

0 Likes

I'd like to add that after a few format c:'s later, sata cables swaps, disk swaps between intel(where there was no issues as long as intel RST was installed) and amd motherboard, I gave up on windows 10 and slipstreamed drivers into a windows 7 setup. I now have expected hdd performance during copy/move (starts even at 700MB/s and drops to a consistent ~150MB/s - which makes it even faster than on z97 ).

I also think it might be relevant that only Seagate drives were affected by this issue, while WD ones performed well regardless of the platform. I hope the other issues will get resolved in the future driver updates.

0 Likes

I have a SATA SSD and it saturates the port constantly when the box boots, but overall the speed is more due to internet speed for many programs like Steam and other DRM packages.

0 Likes
jsebastian12
Adept II

You're very welcome mockingbird!!! I was able to "FORCE" AMD AHCI Drivers which I downloaded from Win-Raid Forum https://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html as well as from the ASUS Support Site i recall... In my particular setup the AMD AHCI v1.3.1.276 drivers performed a bit better than v1.2.1.402 drivers... I really recommend anyone to check out the link & Win-raid Forum in general 10000%!!! Specially THOSE WHO POST INCORRECT ADVICE WITHOUT ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO BACK UP THEIR ADVICE!!!

0 Likes
infuscomus
Journeyman III

I'm after an XP driver for this 43B7 device

I installed FreeDOS and Windows98 on the 2 ASMedia ports on my board successfully.

I have not had much luck getting XP to install though - i keep getting a 7B BSOD in txtmode and I've already tried integrating AMD 1.2.0.321 driver using nlite with no luck.

does anyone know if 43B7 is a rebranded chip thats not AMD?

0 Likes

according to this Hardware identifying site : Find unknown devices using a vendor and device ID. | Device Hunt . You Hardware Device ID indicates a 300 Series AMD Chipset SATA Controller:

Need to go to your Motherboard's Support site and see what Chipsets they have to download.