cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thepemo
Adept I

Error 173 when installing driver. No recognition from my PC relative to AMD Hardware

So this happened recently. I turned my PC and my monitor on, but the monitor displayed that no feedback was coming from my HDMI connected to my GPU. I tried to check if the HDMI cable was faulty by connecting my PS4 via the same HDMI cable to my monitor and it displayed it perfectly. So, the HDMI cable wasn't the issue. Maybe it was my graphic cards itself. So I decided to plug in my VGA cable to my motherboard and it finally showed image in my monitor.
I went to see in my Display Adapters in the Device Manager if the graphic card was there, but it wasn't. I was working with my Intel Graphic card only. I found it weird because my graphic cards fan was running as well as the LED's. I decided to remove the graphic card from my PCI-E slot in the motherboard, clean the PCI-E slot with alcohol (90%) and the power supply cables as well. After cleaning it, I installed the GPU once again and decided to check everything was OK in the BIOS, regarding the graphics configuration but everything seemed fine (my option was set to PCI-E graphic card then Internal Graphic Cards, in this case the Intel one). But when I check my PC again, it still didnt have the graphic card in the Device Manager and now I dont know what to do. I tried everything from installing new drivers but I always come up with "Error 173 AMD installer cannot continue since AMD graphics hardware was not found" and I still dont have any video output from my graphic card.

PC specs:

CPU: i3 - 2100 (3.10Ghz)

Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M

RAM: 2* 4GB DDR3

GPU: Sapphire R9 280 3GB DDR5

0 Likes
5 Replies

What Make & Model PSU do you have installed?

Sounds like the card is getting power but the GPU is not sending an output. Did you try a different port on the card in case the Port you are using went bad?  DP or DVI-D or D-SUB? All GPU Power connectors connected and making good contact?

Can you install the R9 in another computer to see if it has the same exact problem. If it does, it is a good chance your GPU card went bad.

This is the latest AMD Driver for R9 2xx series Desktop GPU cards on Windows 10 : Desktop

This is the third R9 (Second Sapphire) card that a User has mentioned that has gone bad right after either rebooting or starting the computer.

From AMD Forum concerning dead R9 cards threads:

Sudden death of Sapphire R9 Fury?

Dead graphics card

My sapphire r390 just die after drivers update

Request for help to identify a component on an R9 Fury X please. (This User purchased a second hand R9)

I dont know my exact specifications of the PSU but I know that it always sent enough power for everything running on my RIG, including the graphics cards, so it doesnt seem a PSU problem related. But I checked it anyway, and, besides dust, all connections seemed fine. I even switched my power cable from the PSU to the GPU to a new one but nothing happened.
Regarding a different port, I cant do that because my motherboard (P8H61-m) only has 1 PCI-E slot, and the PCI1 slot doesnt fit in my graphic card slot. I cleaned the slots with alcohol as I mentioned before.

I always used a HDMI cable connecting to the HDMI output from the GPU and it doesnt output any video whatsoever. I am currently using my VGA cable connected to the motherboard, using my Intel Graphics. As I said before, my GPU doesnt even get recognized as it doesnt show up in the device manager.
So now the problems comes down to 2 fronts. Either the GPU went bad, or the motherboard slot is bad.
I am following your advice and installing my R9 280 on my friends PC, but right now I cant do that for personal reasons. I will contact you later, in a week or so to give you an update on how it went.
Thanks for all the tips!

0 Likes

You can't connect a DP or DVI-D or VGA cable from your GPU to your monitor? The HDMI port (where the HDMI cable connects to the GPU Card) could be bad and not giving out a signal whereas the DP or DVI-D or VGA port on the GPU Card may still be working. If no outputs from any ports on the GPU card. Then it doesn't sound good.

Edit: just realized if the GPU card is not even recognized by Windows, it won't work thus there would be no signal output regardless what port you use to connect the monitor.

By the way, Sapphire has a two year Warranty in case your GPU card is less than two years old.

Thats what I was thinking, even if I try another port, it wont matter because my Windows doesnt recognize my GPU. And, unfortunately, my Saphire warranty expired . But I will try nontheless connect my GPU to a different motherboard to check if the GPU is actually dead.

Thanks once again for the reply

0 Likes
satek
Journeyman III

Something very similar happened to me with a brand new card...man I am so  angry

0 Likes