cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dangthrimble
Journeyman III

VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR on clean Windows 10 install

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7010 that was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (64 bit). Around the turn of the year Windows Update stopped working and, despite my best efforts in following Microsoft and third party advice, I made little progress. In the end I tried resetting the Windows install but even that was unsuccessful. Finally I reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB stick but, after a short while of use, the PC blue screened with VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR. I have tried everything I can think of to get round this, including pausing Windows Update and using Dell Support Assistant to download the relevant drivers. Whether I install anything or not, ultimately the PC blue screens with the same error. The problem appears to be connected with the installation of the driver for my ATI FirePro 2450s. I have tried preventing the drivers from being installed but Windows is adamant it knows best. When I use the AMD tool for checking which card I have and what drivers I need it tells me the appropriate driver is already installed.

Windows reports it is AMD's driver version 8.970.100.9001 dated 13/01/2015 for the ATI FirePro 2450.

I have reported it via Microsoft's Community forum but not via the link above as I have to boot into Safe Mode (no network access over WiFi) or reinstall yet again and hope the PC doesn't BSOD before completing the information.

Can anyone advise what I can do to resolve this issue and actually achieve a working PC again?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Jonathan Hansford

Answers provided to the question posted by kingfish below as I was informed I was not authorized to reply to this discussion!

0 Likes
6 Replies

Have you reported this to Microsoft?

How to report Windows 10 bugs to Microsoft?

What driver do you have installed?

0 Likes

Try this >

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one (or more) of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Likes

I’ve turned off driver updates via the control panel and it’s made no difference. They still get downloaded! I’ve yet to try the registry setting and the option via Windows Update is no longer available.

0 Likes

Tried to set the registry setting manually but it doesn't exist!

0 Likes

The link I posted may not be current...Win10 forums has the best info...look for the most current post here > Windows 10 Help Forums

The suggested procedures ​do​ work, you just have to find the right one.

Edit: And did you report it to Microsoft?

0 Likes
bgrorud
Journeyman III

Just to let you know, I have had the same issue with my ATI FirePro 2450.  The problem first appeared in Windows 10 1703.  At that time, I was able to force revert back to the 1607 driver and the system would run normally.  However, after the update to 1709, I no longer have the option and I have not had the time to do a clean install of 1607 and attempt to get the driver from there.

My workaround has been to boot up into safe mode, remove the driver, let the system reboot into normal mode and then let it reinstall the driver but NOT reboot (it doesn't ask you to).  At that time you can use the system as normal for non graphical tasks, which works fine for me as I mostly use this 4 monitor setup to remotely monitor and manage computers and servers.  Anything graphical though (even just general websites like CNN) will cause the BSOD.

I just posted a Microsoft support request, just because today I came in to the computer on the typical BSOD, and after writing my lengthy reply I figured I would probably not get any assistance and went ahead and ordered a new 4 head video card for $200.

So, bottom line, your best bet would be to see if you can get those 1607 drivers.  Not sure exactly how I forced them in, but I think I might have browsed to the \windows\inf folder of a 1607 install to find the driver there...

-Brad

0 Likes