cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mikeb2
Adept I

Updated microcode for coreboot BIOS developers

We, the coreboot BIOS developers, have not received any microcode updates from AMD

(aimed towards patching the spectre v2 vulnerability). AMD sent these updated microcode binaries to

many motherboard and BIOS development companies, but forgot to send these files to us at coreboot

Could you please provide a standalone download of your updated microcode binaries, to make it possible for us

to include them to our coreboot BIOS running on AMD platforms ? We will appreciate if you will share these

updated microcode binaries with us - maybe together with SHA-256 or SHA-512 hashes of these files or GnuPG

signatures to ensure the security of transaction

Best regards,

Mike Banon,

coreboot BIOS firmware engineer,

mikebdp2@gmail.com

P.S. Although, ideally these new updated microcodes should be committed to kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git repository -->
directory called "amd-ucode" .Currently it contains the following files: microcode_amd.bin ,microcode_amd.bin.asc ,

microcode_amd_fam15h.bin ,microcode_amd_fam15h.bin.asc , microcode_amd_fam16h.bin ,microcode_amd_fam16h.bin.asc .

They have been last updated at 2015/16 year, and we would like to see them updated again

0 Likes
9 Replies

Your best bet is to open an Email Support Ticket with AMD Support to be able to assist you and give you the information you need. Here is the link to AMD EMAIL SUPPORT: Email Form

0 Likes

Sorry, but both me and Ivan (another coreboot BIOS developer) already tried that channel multiple times - without any luck! The only reply we have ever received - contained just a short note with URL to spectre v2 information page (without any files attached). Now I could only hope that our request message above will be noticed by someone at AMD who could help us, like amdmatt​​​ or maybe another smart AMD Engineer reading this

0 Likes

just tagging the other 2 engineers in that I know of. Sure seems like it is in AMD's best interest to get you the information you need to make things right for others. @fsadough​   @ray_m , hopefully they can get you contact info that gets you around this in the future.

Never heard of Coreboot before and googled it. Found your website. coreboot  and from Wiki from your website, explaining in detail about Coreboot : coreboot . Didn't know there were any Open Source BIOSes for motherboards. Since a BIOS is made specifically for a particular Motherboard.

It seems like AMD considers you differently than a Motherboard Manufacturer thus the brush off. Hopefully one of the AMD Forum Moderators will explain to you AMD's stance on this issue, one way or the other.

ray_m​ is  Technical Support Engineer 2 with AMD Company

amdmatt​ is Technical Support Engineer with AMD Company

Both are the AMD Moderators of AMD Forum.

Good Luck.

You didn't mention that you had already gone the route that I mentioned in my previous Post.

thanks I couldn't get ray's to show for anything.

0 Likes

LoL, I believe JIVE has some hiccups once in a while.

0 Likes

Thank you, elstaci​ . By the way, the Motherboard Manufacturers do not create BIOSes by themselves - they are outsourcing it to the BIOS development companies like Insyde and AMI. And, since they have received these microcodes from AMD, hopefully we the coreboot BIOS devs will receive them as well. It is highly important to us

Best regards,

Mike Banon,

coreboot BIOS firmware engineer,

mikebdp2@gmail.com

0 Likes

@mikeb2

Did you have luck and get full BKDG for family 17h?

0 Likes

In both instances i passed your request and contact details onto the relevant teams for consideration.