cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

white_rogue
Journeyman III

2400g solid green screen crash with no text.

Built a budget desktop for my kids:

2400g w/ stock cooling

8gb G Skill Aegis single stick

Gigabyte B350 gaming 3

WD Blue 1tb

Corsair VS 500

Windows 10 Pro

17.7 AMD drivers

Bios is F22 (most recent and supports Raven Ridge)

When they try and play Minecraft after about 15 minutes the screen turns solid green and the computer freezes. The highest temp I've seen on CPU or GPU is around 40c. Tried it on multiple monitors but all the same. uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers and updated everything related. looking for hopefully a quick fix, kind of hard to explain to them why it doesn't just work when in my opinion it should. Havent tried any other games yet because I'm trying to keep it offline and I don't want steam on there.

0 Likes
104 Replies
stree
Adept II

Very common problem, no real answer found. Could be associated with the other known problem areas, the broken powerplans settings, the broken Wifi issue, the flawed RAM compatibility ? Not forgetting the rushed and problematic BIOS adventures. and others, depending on your build specs.

I was as eager as anyone to get started with Raven Ridge, even had plans for 2400G on an x370 and a 2200G on an AB350..The 2400 is built, but  may be putting my 1200 back into the AB350 until the majority of these problems are acknowledge and dealt with properly .

The 1200 may be slower and require a GPU, but what bliss to just use  machine that just does what it should without fuss.

tscheuer
Adept I

Exactly the same issue with my system also while playing minecraft. "Green Screen" after about 15 min.

Sometimes it is possible to go back to the operation system when using "ctrl - esc". That means the system hangs not completely , just the game or the graphics overlay.

But most of the time a hard reset is needed to bring the system back to life.

My system is a little bit different:

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 GAMING-ITX/AC

Power supply: Thermaltake Munich with 430 watts.

Memory: Gskill F4-2400C16D-16GFXR Arbeitsspeicher FlareX DDR4 16GB (2x 8GB)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2400g

Operation system: Windows 10 64 latest drivers and patches

For the AMD components the latest Chipseet and graphics drivers are installed.

All Bios settings are at "auto" level latest version is flashed.

therefore this issue seems to be independend from board and memory and is relatd to the CPU or the delivered drivers.

someone any suggestions?

wndrjsl12
Adept I

I'm korean

I am experiencing the same phenomenon.

My system is

2200g/bravotec jonsbo cr-601

Msi mortar(b350)

Samsung 8gb ram single

(600w)power

Window10 64

Bios and driver are the latest version

When i play lol, I get a green screen. lt's a very difficult situation;;;

Please reply as soon as possible.

0 Likes

how you fix it green screen if you are play LoL?

0 Likes
stree
Adept II

There is quite a list of things to check when trying to find the cause of issues with Raven Ridge installations, I will list some of them.

First, assuming a Windows 10 installation.

Please ensure that it is Windows 1709. An earlier version with updates to 1709 will give problems. Download a fresh ISO from MS site if you need 1709.

Windows MUST be 64 bit, never 32 bit for this platform.

RAM:

The 2400G and 2200G internal clockspeeds are 2933.  Anything over this will or may upset the on board memory controller, so if having issues and overclocked, undo the overclock and see if issue persists. If you must overclock use the BIOS and do it in small step increments and test each time.

AM4/Ravenridge, will run with one or two sticks of ram, however performance will fall off dramatically if running only one stick. This platform is desihned to perform best on Dual channel, even Quad channel will give reduced performance. Also double sided RAM will peform about 7% better than single sided.

Of course it is best to check that the ram is on the motherboard manufacturers QVL, if it is not it does not mean it will not work, just as yet untested by the manufacturer.

Chipset and Radeon drivers.

Of course these need to be updated, but must be in sequence. Install the chipset drivers THEN the Radeon drivers, both from the AMD site.

If you install the chipset drivers last the the older chipset graphics drivers will overwrite the Radeon drivers and give problems.

BIOS.

Please ensure you set your BIOS to default before updating, and clear CMOS too. If the latest BIOS is giving problems check and see if there is a BETA BIOS, these generally will address some of these problems.

I hope people can add to this list, not with examples of their problems! but examples of how to meet the requirements of a good Ravenridge platform

0 Likes

This method is already well known in Korea.

I have already done this in a way.

This method does not play a fundamental role in stopping the green screen.

In Korea, not only me but also frequent green screen issues are emerging from various communities

If the green screen appears during the game, the game will be unconditionally lost.

I think this is a deadly bug in Raven Ridge.

Please give me an accurate answer to the green screen issue at AMD.

0 Likes
wndrjsl12
Adept I

This method is already well known in Korea.

I have already done this in a way.

This method does not play a fundamental role in stopping the green screen.

In Korea, not only me but also frequent green screen issues are emerging from various communities

If the green screen appears during the game, the game will be unconditionally lost.

I think this is a deadly bug in Raven Ridge.

Please give me an accurate answer to the green screen issue at AMD.

0 Likes
fxnoob
Adept II

Same issue here.

2400G on AsRock AB350M-HDV. I hope next drivers will fix these.

0 Likes
stree
Adept II

Been thinking about this: Realised that the only time I got green screen was when I tried Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200.........Not happy with this ram, so put back the Crucial Ballistx Sport LT I used before. Never had an issue when using the Crucial.So maybe it is a RAM related issue? I know a lot of you are using G-Skill, but there must be something ram related going on.

0 Likes

So using memory with the Ryzen APU is a litte bit like Russion Roulette but the other way round?
Hope this is just a joke!

0 Likes

I do not joke about my builds nor anyone elses..... As for some memory not being suitable for some motherboards, that is what QVLs are for, although not 100% certainty even then.

This is what is called  early adopter tax, we all pay it to be among the first to use a new platform.

Also, whay version of windows 10 do you have? If it is not 1709 you will have problems..............

0 Likes

I do not using G-Skill.

My ram is Crucial Ballistx Sport LT 1X8 2666mhz and I had this bug

0 Likes
fxnoob
Adept II

Edit: just got a green screen, seems that I was in a hurry to confirm that is solved. Is not. System is faster and snappier with the bios update, but the screen is still present . I get it less than before, but I still get it.

I think is related to BIOS, I updated to latest version and I played like 4 hours straight without any issue. Also the system is snappier now, even games are better.

0 Likes
kenbee
Journeyman III

The green screen was not limited to ryzen, yesterday or day before amd released a graphics card update that fixed it for another pc I have that has an a10 with rx 460, you could literally just turn the monitor off and then on and it would green screen rebooting was the only way to fix it. The notes indicated it was related to freesync turning on randomly or it ranging from low to high, its in their release notes. Hopefully one for the apus will arrive soon to fix ours too.

0 Likes
majoda
Adept I

I had the same issue with Ryzen 3 2200g, Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 motherboard and 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 RAM.

I believe I may have fixed by turning the CPU fan on full speed all the time.

When playing vanilla minecraft with no resource packs or shaders the CPU temp quickly got up over 60 degrees C.

I have the stock CPU cooler and all the review videos I watched said it was adequate for overclocking. Mine is not overclocked, I have latest BIOS and Windows build 1709 and was getting green screen after 5 minutes of Minecraft.

I used the Gigabyte SIV app that is installed with App Centre to set the fan although it can also be done in the BIOS.

UPDATE: It crashed green screen again 20 minutes into minecraft. I have emailed the retailer and they have said it sounds like a faulty CPU and they will test it and replace.

I haven't replaced CPU as a friend gave me an old GTX 770 GPU and now Minecraft runs no problem and I have no issues with Steam or other games. I wonder if it is because Minecraft is a CPU intensive game that is causing the problem.

Putting a GPU in does defeat the object of buying this processor though.

0 Likes

That was my best guess, it seems like a graphics issue so I figured a GPU would fix it. But yeah, defeats the purpose of the CPU and increases cost a lot.

0 Likes
fxnoob
Adept II

I replaced my 1 year old Crucial 2400 MHz 2x8GB with these:

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4, 2x8GB, 3200 MHz, CL 16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

They are in mobo's QVL for Raven Ridge.

Currently running in XMP 2.0 3200MHz

If green screen appears again, is not related to memory at all, Crucial was in QVL too. (CT8G4DFS824A)

I doubt CPU is faulty, the chances to be are like very small.

EDIT

Green screen of death, with these memories too, system uptime 2 days, I received it in windows, not during gaming. BIOS 4.70 (latest).

0 Likes

Same issue here (my screen goes black instead of green) on a brand new build. Have tried everything I could find to fix it and nothing has worked. Also get BSOD if I leave the computer running with Chome open for 30-50 minutes.

Temporary fix I did manage to find is unplugging the HDMI cord from the PC if I'm ever AFK.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2400G

MSI X370 Gaming Plus

Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR4-2400 MHz

EVGA BQ 650W PSU

All software should be up to date considering I've reinstalled everything 3-4 times in the past week.

0 Likes
fxnoob
Adept II

Obviously this is a driver problem, I hope AMD will come with a fix soon.

0 Likes
m12lrpv
Journeyman III

Same. Minecraft goes black screen after about 15 minutes.

Ryzen 5 2400G

Gigabyte ab350m-d3h

samsung 960 evo m.2

2x8GB HyperX

put in an old 6000 series graphics card and it's all good. Definitely a graphics driver issue for the 2400G

0 Likes

Same problems, but also a bunch of others problems

Ryzen 5 2400G

Msi mortar(b350)

team group L7 EVO 60gb

1x8GB HyperX Predator 3000mhz

Tagan BZ series 700W (80 plus certified)

the memory is set at 2400mhz and CPU default frequency (3.6ghz)

at first the pc looked stable i played for 30-40 min overwatch without many problems, then everything started :

-a freeze of 30seconds on overwatch but then the game recovered himself

-Green Screen

- glitches on youtube at 1080p or 4k windowed

- a Green Screen on desktop

- purple screen!

-i decided to play a light and much older game like Rage (2011) ... i tried to start new campaign 4 times, and systematicaly after abuout 10-15 min the video and audio freezes (with a disturbing sound)

-when i reboot after i always had to reboot twice because one of the EZ debug led (sometimes the CPU-led sometimes the RAM-led, sometimes Both, and sometime VGA-led)

-i decided to run memtest86 , i created a bootable... i pluged inside one of the back USB 3.1 port  while the computer was still in windows, and it rebooted!!!

-i run memtest from boot: first time it frezed at 50% (2min and 21 sec) , second time at 87% (9:20), third time at 66% (6:24)

-the computer doesnt boot , it took me 5 times to get something on the screen!

let me say, i dont think it is a software related problem!!!

0 Likes

What powerplan are you running? Please try performance, let me know if it makes a difference. It did for me.

It will not be helping using a single ram stick, Ryzen is built to operate dual channel..but I doubt this is a cause of your problem, just not optimising the system.

0 Likes

are you talking about powerplan settings in windows 10?

i have run memtest86 with a boot USB drive 5 times and it freezes always!

i tried also with a LIVE ubuntu USB and also ubuntu freezes!

i dont think its something related to the O.S. you use!

regarding the single memory stick issue, let me say: when these kind of problems happen the first suggestion you get is to isolate the problem by using a single stick by once, sot that you can figure out if one of the 2 ram modules is faulty ..so dont tell me about double channel , i already know this, i bought 1 single stick by purpose, because i had sense there could be problems

0 Likes

Go to control panel powerplans. set to performance.

Check windows is true 1709 build and not updated version.

Check chipset is latest, and installed BEFORE latest Radeon drivers.

Check BIOS is latest.

Check PSU is working and of sufficient quality and power.

Many many people are using 220 and 2400 on similar systems with no problems.

I understand what you sat about RAM but disagree with your logic. You are not helping yourself. One stick situation is for test bed purposes, not for running games.

I also disagree with you when you say it is doubtful it is software related. Everything you have pointed out relates to known software issues.

But you seem determined to find out (or not) the hard way so I will drop out of this thread.

Good luck

0 Likes

Hi stree,
the main problem is that there are no new drivers since over 2 month as fxnoob mentined some posts above and here I can join him 100%.
We are all not able to get the applications running as with a external graphic card - means something is not working as stable as expected in the APU.
Even with all stuff you are explaining (power plan, bios, drivers, certified memory ...) the issues are still not gone in all scenarios and applications.
All are waiting for new drivers to crosscheck the systems and hopefully get a positiv result.

But without any idea if and when... there is bad mood

0 Likes

Bx stree : let me clarify, i was in the bios with all the hdd and ssd unplugged and only a 8gb usb memtest86 boot stick , and while being in the BIOS , it freezed! i had to reboot while being in the bios!!

the bios is the latest ! (1.E0)

i double checked my PSU  24pin (red orange and yellow) it came out right values (12.14 V  , 4.97 V and 3.31 V ) ...so the PSU is ok! and well cleaned from dust!

latest news is that i succeded in seeing an error on memtest86 before rebooting.. i saw 2 or probably 5 errors from the dimm

So: MEMTEST is actually giving me errors, but after suddendly reboots making me impossible to to read...

i unmounted ram and cpu, cleaned everything,  the CPU pins where not damaged , and changed thermal paste, i changed the Ram Module from 2nd slot to 4th slot.. nothing changes, still freezes and reboots from BIOS!

0 Likes

Time to replace the mobo or ram. Test the ram on a friend's pc to be sure. Cpu, weak chances to be broken. I didn't see broken cpu since K6 processors.

0 Likes

Yeah I think I'm having mobo issues. Won't connect sound on initial startup (have to soft reset every time I turn it on), keyboard (tried multiple) isn't reliable. Just a bunch of frustrations. It's still under warranty but idk if I can go a couple weeks without a computer.

0 Likes
fxnoob
Adept II

I solved all the problems (including video_tdr_failure blue screens) by adding a separate video card. This integrated gpu is basically unusable, my online games are crashing randomly, I lose a lot of time and nerves. Adding a separate video card eliminates the purpose for what I bought this CPU. Is 2 months without any driver update, thanks AMD.

0 Likes

if the integrated GPU is basically unstable as you said (which, by the way, i consider a good conclusion) . ...then HOW is it possible that many people on youtube play games with their Ryzen 2400g? (and there are also some test with Doom (2016) running @ 1080p Ultra settings at like 60fps... with the ddr4 ram at almost 4000mhz )

P.S. i have mounted an old GTX 9800 right now, and disabled the integrated GPU and the freezes continue! memtest86 continues to freeze! windows 10 continues to freeze and also Ubuntu Linux

0 Likes

After I added an 1030, all problems disappeared. No more app crashes (some tabs in chrome were crashing, if displaying video), no more green screens, no more bsod's. My system has uptime 4 days, 2 instances of lineage 2 started since boot. Works flawlessly. They put the APU on the market, without any testing or good driver, we are the test subjects.

0 Likes

From my observations its only certain games that trigger the problems (i.e. minecraft). Other games will run fine.So youtubers playing doom can do so happily if doom doesn't do anything that triggers the problem.

0 Likes

I think it is sounding more and more like RAM or a faulty BIOS install...Can you try another set of memory?

Faulty bios install? i played overwatch for 2hours the first day! then all the problems happened, i don't think that something related bios would come out so late!

im going to try some other ram modules soon

P.S. Now the pc doenst even start anymore... both CPU and RAM  led are turn on .. but i'm refuseing to think that both are defective!

0 Likes

UPDATE!! : the problem was the ddr4 ram kingston hyperX predator 3000mhz , it was a faulty module! i replaced it with 2x8gb G Skill Trident Z

Aha......I suggested ram on 10th March. Only time I had green screen was because of faulty ram so thought it may be cause of yours......

0 Likes

I'm also using Kingston HyperX, so maybe I'll give something else a try.

0 Likes