cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

baboon71p
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 1600 serious issues with cooling, Please Help!

Ok guys here is my problem. I build this computer about 2 months ago and here a the specs. Dont hate on what i got because i built this on a budget but i would like some help if any has had these issues before.

Asrock A320m mobo

Ryzen 5 1600 processor with stock wraith cooler

Patriot Viper Elite 8 Gb ram at 2400 mhz

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB

Rosewill Hive 750w bronze power supply

So through some research I have figured out some things because my processor kept spiking from 1.55 ghz to 3.6 ghz. Found out that Ryzen had a new chipset with the balanced power plan. That fixed the issue of spiking but now when I play CS:GO it still dips down to like .55 ghz and runs hot at 95 degrees celcius. giving me 20 fps and a variance of almost 30ms. With my set up i should be getting a consistent 150 atleast but this is rediculous. I have recently updated my bios to the most recent version too. Ive tried everything on ryzen master, nothing helps. I used arctic silver 14g ceramic thermal paste on it, all fans are running fine. Even without playing CS:GO its running at 3.7ghz but at 75 degrees celcius. ANY ideas guys? please help!!!

0 Likes
10 Replies

Is the cooler hot to the touch? If it's not I'd strongly suspect a faulty thermal reading.

0 Likes

not sure, i will try it when i get home

0 Likes

Try to remove the side panel to the case and keep it off and see if the CPU continues to overheat. If it doesn't, then it indicates the Computer case is not expelling the hot air efficiently enough to maintain your CPU cool (Poor Air circulation in computer case) or the CPU cooler is not strong enough or not making good contact with the CPU. The CPU Cooler should be tight on top of the CPU and have no movement. If you are able to wiggle the CPU Cooler it probably isn't making good contact.

If the problem continues, I read something about the RAM Memory not being properly configured in BIOS that could cause the CPU to overheat.

From what I read, the stock CPU Cooler Wraith is fine as long as you are not overclocking the CPU.

Are Overclocking the CPU? if you are than you need a stronger CPU Cooler. Here are the specs for the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU from AMD:

AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600

Specifications

# of CPU Cores

# of Threads

Base Clock

3.2GHz

Max Boost Clock

3.6GHz

Total L1 Cache

576KB

Total L2 Cache

3MB

Total L3 Cache

16MB

Unlocked

Yes

CMOS

14nm

Package

AM4

PCI Express Version

PCIe 3.0

Thermal Solution

Wraith Spire (No LED)

Default TDP / TDP

65W

Max Temps

95°C

0 Likes

one possible cause, it too much TIM on the CPU cooler which can act more like an insulator

remove the CPU cooler and clean up any excess, all that is needed is 1/2 of a BBS work and spread it with a bank card

replace the cooler and see if that works, if not you may need to get a tube of actic MX-4 and do it fresh

0 Likes

Do you think it could be a BIOS misconfiguration or Memory not configured correctly. I read both of those can cause overheating of the Ryzen CPU.

0 Likes

well my previous issue was my clock speed kept spiking, so i actually updated my motherboard bios to newest version and downloaded the newest chipset version for the processor. this solved the spikes but not the heating issue

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Do you think it could be a BIOS misconfiguration or Memory not configured correctly. I read both of those can cause overheating of the Ryzen CPU.

Most use the stock BIOS settings which are already tunes for stability.

0 Likes

i already have the side panel removed currently

0 Likes
baboon71p
Journeyman III

So guys apparently im a noob... I took my computer apart and realized my cooler was not seeded all the way down on the processor, only one side of it was screwed in... everything ok now!

0 Likes

LoL, that would definitely do it.

Mark you answer as "Correct" so other knows that your issue is fixed and how.

0 Likes