cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

01-bot
Journeyman III

Error 1603

Found myself in this issue when doing a clean install to update my drivers in an attempt to fix an issue regarding OBS game-capture etc. However, now I've found myself in this mess.

Attempting to do an install of Radeon 18.3.4, getting the same issue with 18.2.1 if you're curious, through the full installer rather then the minimal one, and all methods end up giving a 1603 error.

In an attempt to fix this I have so far followed the entire support page that is linked when the error is displayed in the installer. (here)

This includes using DISM, SFC, fixing with C++ Redistributable, no due updates for windows, using AMD cleaning utility and also giving DDU a try, running if safe-mode of course. To clarify, neither DISM or SFC seem to find any issues and the other things I've attempted haven't resulted in any notable difference. I've also had xBox Game DVR disabled through regedit since long ago.

Furthermore looking up the Display Adapter in computer management it turns up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" which when interacted with allows me to install/update drivers, both through internet and through local drivers which link me to my already downloaded AMD drivers. However this also results in an error which states that one of the installers can't perform the installation at this time, however I have yet to try this in safe-mode rather then running the ordinary installer in safe-more.

Using a HP Elitebook 850 running Intel Core i5 4300U with 8 GB's of RAM on Windows 10 64x. Radeon card currently in use is AMD Radeon HD 8750M

Thanks in advance for a possible solution to this issue.

EDIT: I have now successfully installed the drivers and software version 18.3.4 after running a reset reinstalling windows on the PC. However, the question of fixing such an issue still persists as even the drivers provided from HP for the exact laptop model refused installation.

0 Likes
12 Replies

And what did HP support say about their drivers not installing on their computer?

0 Likes

Not a word heard from them about it yet, however I'd imagine their answer being something along the lines of: "Due to this concerning 3:rd party drivers we recommend bringing this issue up with that 3:rd party as the version we provide on our site is of their concern."

0 Likes

They always say that...don't you think it strange that the original drivers designed by the manufacturer won't install? Either?

This could be caused by the latest Win10 upgrade...several similar posts to that effect. What version are you running?

Do you have any yellow marks in the Device Manager?

Some users have had success disabling 'fast start' in the power settings > The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer has customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Driver:

AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver.

0 Likes

Also check Intel for any update for the Intel graphics, if there is, install it before installing the AMD driver > Drivers & Software

0 Likes

That has been taken into account and the latest Intel drivers for everything in the machine was updated to the latest versions. Ironically there were no updates for the graphics drivers and only for LAN adapters.

0 Likes

Try installing the drivers again..from the device manager using the "Have Disk" method.

Here is a Intel guide on installing their driver...just substitute AMD for Intel > https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

I loosely touch on this in the post with the line of: "... and through local drivers which link me to my already downloaded AMD drivers. However this also results in an error which states that one of the installers can't perform the installation at this time, ...", but I never make it clear that with "local drivers" I mean both a full driver download which lets you choose a local driver version in radeon's installer and attempting to force an install through device manager.

As stated though trying to install the AMD drivers in that manner resulted in an error which displayed that "One of the installers can't perform the installation at this time."

0 Likes

Yeah I see that now..I'm stumped

0 Likes

Interesting enough though is that even when showing up as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter when clicking to choose drivers from a list it would list the AMD driver versions I had attempted to install beforehand. I'm still really confused what the reason for the display adapter to suddenly switch name completely though.

Sadly I am unsure whether this actually changed after attempting the clean install with the first update or rather when I tried AMD cleaning utility/DDU, it'd make more sense though that it would be an bi-product of the latter though.

0 Likes

The basic Adapter is what Microsoft installs. It's what happens when Microsoft decides that that is the best and latest driver for your graphics. You have to jump through some hoops to be able to delay/prevent that from happening. Here are some ways, you might have to use more than one > Windows 10 Help Forums

Ah, yes. Thanks for informing me on that one!

0 Likes

I will try disabling Fast Boot ASAP, but it seems to also be a beneficial thing in terms of stability as well, especially since I don't mind waiting for a few more seconds for the thing to boot.

It's really strange however that the drivers they themselves provide would refuse installation, but also expected since it's an exact copy of what you'd download from AMD just an outdated version, I believe for this specific machine it's 1.7.xx versions instead of 1.8.xx

I do however now believe the issues lies somewhere within the fact that device manager displayed the adapter as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" whereas the functioning one is displayed correctly as "AMD Mobility Radeon 8750M", or similarly at the very least. The non-functioning Microsoft Basic Display Adapter did pop up as a yellow warning symbol in Device Manager which is also odd considering a normal AMD Mobility Radeon device will not show this warning even without drivers installed meaning the device is unusable.

Currently using version 1709 for Windows I believe as the Spring Creators Update has not released yet for the public which would be version 1803/1809 I believe.

0 Likes