cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Anyone else getting a Firefox memory leak from these forums?

I've been noticing it for the last couple of months, only happens on these forums, memory usage will climb to the several gigabyte range before falling again back to normal

0 Likes
15 Replies

If Firefox had that type of memory usage (6 gbytes), My computer would probably start freezing or crashing whenever I used Firefox.

When I am running Firefox, it uses around 550- 650 mbytes of memory whereas Google Chrome uses around 350 - 450 mbytes of memory. Firefox does seem to be a Memory hog for some reason. But I will keep an eye on the Memory usage since you brought to the Forum's attention.

0 Likes

Damn, that link is correct. I went to Weather.com on latest Firefox with one Tab open. Task Manager showing around 28% CPU Usages but over 1.6 gigabyte of RAM Memory being used.

0 Likes

Strange, my firefox is not affected, RAM 700mb and CPU 0 - 1% version 59.0.2

0 Likes

I did it a second time with same version as before Firefox 59.02. When I went to Weather.com the CPU fluctuated between .04% to 2.5% with around 920 gbytes of Memory being used.  As soon as I clicked on Okay to use my location, the Memory shot up to over 1.2 gbytes and CPU fluctuated between 1.5% to 5% usage.

0 Likes

Still no issue, ram dont go above 700mb and cpu go to 5% for a second and go back to 0 - 1%, maybe is my ASC11 that is handling the things since i use to optimize everything even internal features from MS, to not spy you.

0 Likes

I will keep an eye out for this and keep Firefox open and see. Since going to an SSD I rarely leave my browser open so I close it as soon as I am done. I have these pages set to load when relaunched. I will check it out though.

0 Likes

Why don't you leave your browser open with an SSD? Modern drives have an endurance rating of not less than 50TBW unless you get a really junk drive, even the 250gb Samsung 850 Evo has a 75TBW endurance.

0 Likes

Honestly no good reason other than it relaunches so darn fast I just close it. I have an NVME drive with 3D nand so re-writes were never even a consideration. Honestly it's mostly just to clear the browser cache and history, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more....

0 Likes

So while watching my memory usage over an hour with only this forum open with one page in Firefox I went from 4500 mb to 11500 mb of used ram. So yes I would definitely say there is a leak. It however doesn't clear when I close the AMD page. So is that the browser or the AMD forum. It could be that any number of pages out there could have the same affect on Firefox. I am going to see what I get in Opera by contrast next.

0 Likes

Okay, zero change in Opera, it is fine.

0 Likes

Wow, 4.5 to 11.5 gbytes of RAM Memory being used. My computer has 16 gbytes of RAM installed. It uses about 73 +/- % of RAM when idle due to running background programs and services. I imagine if Firefox used 11 gbytes, my computer or Firefox would definitely slowdown or crash since it would be using Hard drive as a memory backup (Page File).

0 Likes

It sure could depending on how bad the leak is. I have thought for a long time that the issues some have (including myself) with rise of the tomb raider were fundamentally a memory leak. Since getting my new machine with 32gbs of ram, zero issues. I fired off a bug report to mozilla on the firefox memory bug and how to reproduce it earlier today.

0 Likes

The link mentioned previously said to go to Weather.com. That seems to cause the massive leak to show better.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

Mine stays consistent

0 Likes