cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

frusciante54
Adept I

Should I update my GPU drivers via Windows Update or AMD Driver Utility?

On my laptop's sticker it says: "AMD Radeon R8 M445DX with 2 gb of vram"

When I update my GPU with AMD's driver update utility, on the device manager it says I have R7 M340. When I let the Windows update do it's bussiness, it updates my GPU driver and it turns to R8 M445DX.

I don't mind that, but here's the thing... When Windows updates my driver, the Radeon Settings doesn't open at all. I have tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them and Radeon Settings only opens when I update via AMD's own update utility. What's the problem with Radeon Settings not opening, you ask? When Radeon Settings can't open, games lag a lot. I think Radeon Settings is the software which tells the second GPU to start working, so...

One last thing. I have a problem with my laptop; every 1-2 weeks it suddenly restarts without any warning. It does that randomly, usually when I'm browsing the internet. I've updated the bios, scanned for viruses and all that, these didn't help. And most of the forums suggest that this is mostly caused by a GPU driver issue. Can it be the case? What should I do here?

I know that this is a very complicated situation but I tried my best to explain it. I hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

Laptop: Acer Aspire E15 - E5-553G-t7Q5

AMD Utility version: 18.2.1 (Adrenalin - but the restarting thing was happening even before that, in 17's)

0 Likes
1 Solution
frusciante54
Adept I

Thank you all. It's been more than 20 days now and I have never experienced the restart problem after I followed your advice and disabled the fast startup. The funny thing is... Even though I disabled the fast startup, the starting up time didn't really change noticeably. Again, thanks to all of you. I was this close to send my laptop away to change the motherboard...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies

As for your restart issue, what does WhoCrashed say crashed?

is this your laptop's APU : AMD A10 9600P / 2.4 GHz (3.3 GHz) / 2 MB Cache

This is the AMD Laptop APU Driver you need to download and install: APU . (IF above APU is correct model installed)

How to update the AMD Drivers in a laptop: Laptop graphics update...How to​.

Try installing Acer's Laptop AMD Driver first. Since it is meant to work on your specific Laptop. Went to Acer Support, Could not locate your exact model but only by the General Model of ACER Aspire E5-553G came up with the following AMD VGA Driver from 03/2018: Product support

VGA

VGA Driver

Date:

2018/03/15

Version:

Vendor:

AMD

Size:

599.6 MB

D

0 Likes
frusciante54
Adept I

@black_zion I've installed the program you asked but it said the dump file was empty. If the laptop restarts again I will use the program again to see if it works.

@elstaci yes that's my APU and yes I've been installing the drivers just like you said here

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Yeah the right way dont do it threw windows update.

0 Likes
frusciante54
Adept I

I've had a few more crashes and WhoCrashed says this:

On Sat 14.04.2018 13:03:43 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041418-39234-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75DB33)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFB28B74E038F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I've had these crashes with the latest driver from AMD (18.2.1 Adrenalin edition) and the OEM driver. So, I guess this is not a driver problem? What should I do? I'm always scared that in the middle of my work my computer is going to crash. I've updated my BIOS and didn't change anything.

0 Likes

This link gives good troubleshooting tips on the error on WHO CRASHED.: How To Fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR Blue Screen Errors (0x00000124)

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

OS reinstall is best way to beat that message. If it appears 9/10 your OS has bugged out will need to do a fresh OS install.

Yea I was thinking of doing that. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

0 Likes

Random restart is an issue of windows 10 fall Creators Update

I don't know if it's Microsoft's fault or Amd's or both of them

Turn off fast startup

0 Likes

I have the fall creators update too. Well, if that's the case then I'll turn it off and see what happens. The longest my laptop went without randomly restarting was 15 days. So I'll set a reminder for 15 days to see if it has resolved. I will probably post the results here. Thank you.

plumboby
Miniboss

Turn of fast boot load up on 10 on basic display drivers before loading up display drivers.

0 Likes
frusciante54
Adept I

Thank you all. It's been more than 20 days now and I have never experienced the restart problem after I followed your advice and disabled the fast startup. The funny thing is... Even though I disabled the fast startup, the starting up time didn't really change noticeably. Again, thanks to all of you. I was this close to send my laptop away to change the motherboard...

0 Likes