cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

0v3rkill
Adept III

Uncompressed Quality Recording

Please AMD give us the ability to be able to record with uncompressed or raw quality like Fraps dxstory does. 100mbps is good but quality is not even close to fraps quality. Relive is useful but it doesn't make fraps obsolete. If relive would have much higher quality settings maybe then it would be better. Don't worry about space. Most of us have a separate hdd just for recording gameplay. Also allow use to record in AVI and other codecs other than mp4. mp4 has a lot of problems recording video and audio synchronized together.

0 Likes
5 Replies

you will want some extreme bandwidth professional storage to handle high quality video

I reviewed a pro editing storage unit a while ago, might be of some interest?

OWC THUNDERBLADE V4 EXTERNAL DRIVE – HARDCORE GAMES™

According to Youtube, 85Mbps is sufficient for 4K60 HDR, so what are you recording which objectively requires higher quality than that? Also, you would want to have MKV instead of AVI.

0 Likes

that chart is a good example of finished product. But you don't start working with files that compressed. any movie before edited came from raw uncompressed footage. Same with most gamers on YouTube. Ask frankie on pc or jackfrag  or any real pro gamer in YouTube and they'll tell you they use only fraps or dxtory. have you ever used those? go test it against relive at max. nowhere near the same quality. relive has poor quality in comparison. Only down side to recording gameplay with uncompressed raw quality which is that the files are huge. But, no problem for those that have a spear 2TB or bigger just for recording gameplay. also no, MKV is only great for finished product like mp4, mp3 and wma for music and such. I mean exactly AVI. Fraps has its own AVI codec and same goes with DXtory. For example, you never ever use anything other than WAV lossless or FLAC lossless when you are a music producer. You don't use mp3 or wma lol that's your finish product. The same when you are a video editor. It's preferred to work with RAW uncompressed footage. Cause after the editing and rendering of the movie you always lose less quality if your starting point was raw. That's why blackmagic cameras are so great for making films....pure uncompressed quality. Then your movie is down scaled to your bluray but it always looks nice cause it came from a.....yes....raw uncompressed file.

Highest Raw Quality.jpg

This is an example of what I'm talking about. I went in right now and recorded 35 seconds in metro. Real gameplay and look at the kbps nearly 300Mbps and the more you record and the more colorful the gameplay is the higher it gets. that right there....that is RAW real high quality recording. you wont tell the difference between watching that from you playing the game. Its an exact copy of what you saw when you were playing. Relive can never replicate that with 100mbps lol. Just look at the file size for 35 seconds. Almost 4GB That can only be achieved with AVI. Other codecs are only popular for compression and I don't want that. So please AMD add that feature for those that want it and need it and yes there are a lot of us. I am just tired of always depending on fraps.

Anyway I am only here to request that to AMD not ask a question. I did my best to explain and I hope it helps anyone understand. So sorry if I don't reply anymore. I'm out.

i still have my old minidv video camera and importing video from that is very bulky as it is not compressed at all, its raw video

it does make edits clean however and then after i am done i can compress it with for distribution

i also have more advanced digital cameras and they also record raw and trust me SSD drives will choke on it

0 Likes
melteriron00
Journeyman III

Someone from AMD team who is working on ReLive, do a simple test:
1. Record gameplay video with Fraps and ReLive (at best quality)
2. Do some edits (in Vegas Pro or similar soft) and render video at best quality.
3. Upload videos on YouTube and compare quality.
If you will not notice difference, then you must wear glasses.

At this moment ReLive is useless... just a checkbox for AMD when compared with nGreedia.
Even now in most (if not all) reviews, where ReLive is compared with ShadowPlay (quality wise), nGreedia wins.
Why not make some improvements?

0 Likes