cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cryzlis
Adept I

atikmdag.sys bluescreen and multiple instances of radeon settings

I always try to keep the drivers up-to-date but the last working version Crimson is 17.11.4. With all versions after that I get a bluescreen because of atikmdag.sys.
So I just kept version 17.11.4. Sadly enough with the fall creators update for win10 multiple instances of radeon settings appear (while only one of them seems to be working).

The problem with multiple instances does not appear with the latest version of crimson but as I already said there is something wrong with the atikmdag.sys.
Is there any solution or workaround?

System: Desktop Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology GA-78LMT-S2P

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Pocessor ~3.0GHz

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7750 GRAM 2GB

Driver Version: 17.11.4

26 Replies
cryzlis
Adept I

Wow.. Great support AMD!!!

andrius
Adept I

Reading through some of the latest threads, the users who reported this issue all have HD 7700 series cards. And in one case R7 250X, which is a rebrand of that.

How often do you get the bluescreens? It only happens about once a day to me, rare and appears to be completely random so I can't pinpoint any trigger.

Basically, as soon as I update to a version newer than 17.11.4 it can happen at any time, multiple times. It does not matter what I do (play games or watch videos or whatever), so as you said it appears to be random. Nonetheless it seems to be guaranteed that I get a bluescreen.
The same goes for the multiple instances issue with version 17.11.4. Sometimes everything is fine and there is a single instance sometimes there are two.

I have an R7 250X and it happens EVERYTIME I play a game for more than a few minutes.

0 Likes
jaz130m
Adept I

I've got the exact same problem. I've tried everything I can think of to install new drivers after version 17.11.4. and I have to go back to version 17.11.4. to keep the system from crashing. Happens when I'm browsing the web. Thinking the only thing I haven't tried is a reinstall of windows. I've tried not installing ATI settings and only installing the driver. I have tried expanding the atikmdag.sys file from the install folder. Uninstalling in device manager and installing in safe mode after using a driver uninstall app to remove everything ATI and the BSOD just keeps happening. BSOD info points to atikmdag.sys. System is working under 17.11.4 driver. Help!!

System.

Windows 10 x64

AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition 3.4Mhz

ATI R7 250X

8GB RAM

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

F7 BIOS

0 Likes
ablaublabla
Adept I

i also have this problem for a while now.ati radeon r7 240

Hi, got your message. I think I've solved it. Have you ever used a third party driver installing app? I did a while back and I just updated the driver through that and it's now a lot more stable. I did not use clean install and I did not install the Berthsuda installer. I never have to be honest. App I am using is called  SlimDrivers. It's free. I don't think it will let me post a link to their site on here but google it and it will show up. Hope it helps. So far so good for me. No BSOD so far and I've tried doing all the things that made it crash before.

0 Likes

Scrap that, just crashed again. it was working better for a few hours. That's longer than before. Only option left is to reinstall windows. I just hope that solves it because if it doesn't it's a new PC. After all the help I've had from ATI (feck aw) nVidia are looking good.

0 Likes
mav3rick99
Journeyman III

SAME HERE

System Thread Exception Not Handled
ATIKMDAG.SYS

0 Likes

Same here.

System Thread Exception Not Handled

ATIKMDAG.SYS

I reinstall the old drivers, all was ok.

Yesterday I updating the drivers, andI got the blue screen again.

This suckt....

I think, the drivers have a problem with windows 10.

0 Likes
anma2308
Journeyman III

R7 240 here. It’s ridiculous. The problem appeared with Adrenalin edition 17.12.1 and after eight (8) updates, you can’t fix it. An unhandled exception. A random one. It’s ridiculous. I wonder. Have your programmers considered a career change? Something like goat shepherds? Perhaps you should force them to do.

MB: MSI 880GMA-E45

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710

After i installed driver version 17.11.1 it didnt crashed so that helped me, r7 240

0 Likes

Κάλλιο αργά παρά ποτέ (better late than never). Thumbs-up.

0 Likes
greyknight86
Adept I

im having the same problem had to take out my RX 460 4gb and put in a old R7 250 since then ive been getting the atikmdag.sys bsod it varies when it will happen. Been trying to look for a stable driver, for some time any of the new drivers dont seem to work to im trying the 17.11.1 drivers to see what happens.

0 Likes

good luck, remember to use amd uninstaller software to remove all parts of old drivers

0 Likes
pureocean
Adept I

-Firstly, I'm sorry my bad English.-

I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1803 (Build 17133.1). I checked the driver version of my display card (Radeon R7 240). The new build has automatically installed the Adrenalin version, which it's v18.1.1.  Yes, a few hours later, when I was surfing in Chrome, our lovely BSOD came out. Minidump file.       Old topic for more details.

Don't Microsoft know that atikmdag.sys' version 23.20.150xx.xxxx is causing to BSOD on R7 models? Have they ever tested these models since December, which it was released that month?

The Radeon Display Driver developers can't fix or care to this BSOD issue in version 23.20.150xx.xxxx.
In that case, recommend to Microsoft that don't automatically install v18.1.1 for users with R7 graphics cards. Otherwise, many users will face about tons of BSOD; as a matter of course, they will complaints about Windows 10's v1803.

As a true solution, I need back to the pre-Adrenalin last driver (17.11.4). I looked to different versions of 23.20.x in Microsoft Update Catalog.

(Need click to the 'version' column for the lastest driver). I downloaded and manually installed version 23.20.832.0. Of course, even though Device ID doesn't verify my card, I accept to install the AMD R7 Graphics driver. Conclusion: It's been four days and no BSOD! Furthermore, this driver version's memory usage is much less.

thats one of the things i noticed when i did a clean install of my drivers to get the R7 250 to work the microsoft update for amd drivers was around november, december time which seemed odd as AMD are putting out new drivers makes me wonder if ill at some point have to do the same for my RX 460 when i drop it back in my pc

0 Likes

Thanks! Trying it now. Will post how it goes.

0 Likes

i didnt reinstalled windows,i just reinstalled driver, old driver doesnt cause BSOD, driver version 17.11.1 doesnt cause it,but i am noob i dont know if now my performance is worse because i got old driver?

0 Likes

I don't know what the performance of v17.11.1 is in games. Can see be from Taskmgr-> GPU that v17.11.4 uses a lot of RAM.

Personally I use the version 23.20.832 that I downloaded from the MS Catalog. This version allows the OpenCL version of the Lentoid HEVC Decoder to work without problems. On the other hand, its' Vulcan version is 1.0.61, not 1.1.

If you want to try the latest version (which it's version 23.20.835), you can download from MS Update Catalog. http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2018/04/31d65d4b-a28a-486b-9c96-72...

0 Likes
hz10
Journeyman III

Same problem here.

0 Likes
hz10
Journeyman III

My computer is finally BSOD free after Sapphire Radeon RX460 is replaced with PNY Geoforce GTX 1050. 

0 Likes

I'm about to this point myself. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 4GB. The Windows driver 26.20.11015.1003 is the most "stable" in that it can go a couple of days between each crash. If I try to install any other AMD driver package my machine becomes a crash parade.

0 Likes
everettrainey
Journeyman III

Has anyone got step by step process to resolve atikmdag.sys error? I tried everything as mentioned in this thread but no help. Even followed few more guides but they doesn't seem to be providing permanent solution.

0 Likes
jaz130m
Adept I

My BSOD's have gone for now. I'm running driver 19.1.1 now. The last version 18 and a windows update seemed to have solved it for me. I was about to give up on my card so it wasn't anything I did that fixed it. I did do a clean install after removing the driver with a driver removal tool. It's now more stable and I've not had any probs for a while. I use a tool to clean the junk of my system is about the only other thing that could of helped solve it.

0 Likes
kjartand
Journeyman III

I got this BSOD just now on a brand new pc, with Ryzen 3900x, radeon 5700XT on MSI Creator motherboard. All drivers up to date and as I said, all brand new.

Radeon 19.8.2

3 days in PC world, already starting to miss my iMac that in 6  years never had BSOD.

0 Likes