cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

boilrmkr
Adept I

How to avoid the dreaded BSOD when using Eyefinity??

Beyond pissed. It would be nice to buy a product and not have to become an expert on it's architecture and software foibles to use it.

My daughter is a graphic artist and is using a fairly nice machine for work. AMD-FX-8350 Eight Core, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 32 gig RAM, AMD Radeon R9 390, Winders 7.  I bought her a couple 27" Acer screens to improve her work day. She couldn't figure out how to display some nice wallpaper she has made across these two displays.

Got to diggin into the machine and found she was still using an older set of drivers with no sight of AMD's software. After killing several hours working, reading and many system restores I found the AMD driver removal tool and finally got a clean update to 18.2.1.

When I try to set up Eyefinity using the current screen configuration, both quick and custom, the wallpaper spread out across the screens and extends off the bottom of each. Things start flickering. BSOD. Nothing like another system restore.

After more hours of unsuccessfully trying to get this piece of crap software to work, searching this forum for hours and learning more than I wanted to about the potential excrement that can cause problems (and eliminating them) with this hardware and associated software I'm going home.

I've been building desktops since 1981. This is the worst afternoon I've ever had messing with a friggin computer.

Anyone got a post link I missed or a minute to post a potential solution?

9 Replies
screwtech02
Adept II

Maybe you'd be better off just using windows to extend the desktop, as opposed to making a single big screen with 2 monitors?  I have a triple screen eyefinity setup, and its fine, but for day to day working, I use 2 monitors, and let windows extend the desktop.

Just a thought?

0 Likes

That's the way it is currently running. It just would be nice if AMD's software would work as advertised. Ya know what I mean? Maybe I just bought the wrong product to be satisfied with.

Thought I'd give it another shot this afternoon. (definition of insanity)

Same problem.

Express set up of Eyefinity using current configuration of screens.

Screens are combined and instantly become unstable. Lock. Disappear. Reappear locked. Cycles 4-8 times. Then BSOD with the following detail:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80217DB010

BCP2: FFFFF88004F7699C

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 000000000000000D

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

0 Likes
jargon
Elite

What are the model names of the monitors? What happens when you restart the system after the BSOD?

0 Likes

Two (2) Acer Model G276HL, 27" LED Backlit monitors

A straight reboot back to Winders 7 just starts the whole process over again. The only way to get bck to a usuable graphics set up is boot into Safe Mode and do a system restore to a prior set up before enabling Eyefinity.

0 Likes

These are the same monitors I am using at home in a three monitor setup with Eyefinity with ZERO problems.

0 Likes

Which driver package version are you using at home (e.g. 17.9.1)? Does this issue occur on her system regardless of display resolution set before configuring the SLS?

0 Likes

At the office right now so no info on home set up available.

Haven't tried different resolutions. Just doing my best Winders Tech to clean all. Reboot. Make sure all Winders updates good. Reboot. Update repair done. Reboot. Double check updates. Reboot. Remove AMD drivers. Reboot. Clean registry. Reboot. Installing minimal set up. (Giving up on Eyefinity for this machine/card.)

Also a big thanks for nothing to AMD tech who has yet to even acknowledge a single report or inquiry for help.

0 Likes

Have you tried completely removing the AMD driver with DDU:

1. Get DDU from here
  2. Uninstall the AMD Software through Programs and Features
  3. Configure OS to boot in Safe Mode and restart system
  4. Extract the DDU zip
  5. Launch DDU executable
  6. Select "Clean and Shutdown (For installing a new graphics card)"
  7. Wait for system to shut down
  8. Boot up system and check under C:\ for the AMD folder (that folder should be empty or should not exist)
  9. Check in Device Manager for Generic VGA adapter/Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (device should not be shown as AMD device)

Then install 18.2.1 again. Otherwise if you don't trust 18.2.1 you can download the 17.X.X drivers instead from here. It's possible that the AMD Cleanup Utility did not remove all traces of the driver before you reinstalled, and System Restore may have simply restored bits of the older driver.

0 Likes
boilrmkr
Adept I

Express set up of Eyefinity using current configuration of screens. Screens are a pair of ACER 276HL, 27" LED Backlit monitors. (I am running three of these monitors at home on an AMD card with Eyefinity with zero problems.)

Tried again today with same results.

Screens are combined and instantly become unstable. Lock. Disappear. Reappear locked. Cycles 4-8 times. Then BSOD with the following detail:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80217DB010

BCP2: FFFFF88004F7699C

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 000000000000000D

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Reading the BSOD just now see that Windows says its "Attempt to reset the display driver failed."

I have used AMD removal software, rebooted and reinstalled with no joy.

0 Likes