cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bk201
Adept I

What does un-buffered non-ECC DDR3 SDRAM means ????????????

hi  guys     i recently  purchased a hp  cpu (hp  6005 microtower )  

HP Compaq 6005 Pro Microtower PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

with  an Amd processor

(AMD Athlon II X2 B24 Processor (3.0-GHz, 2MB L2 cache, HT bus 3.0)

i  decided to  check  out the max ram  the cpu  could  support i later found this   below  from  the  official site 

it stated  (Supports un-buffered non-ECC DDR3 SDRAM)

Memory

Supports un-buffered non-ECC DDR3 SDRAM

• HP 4GB PC3-10600 (DDR3 1333 MHz) DIMM
  • HP 2GB PC3-10600 (DDR3 1333 MHz) DIMM
  • HP 1GB PC3-10600 (DDR3 1333 MHz) DIMM

Maximum Memory

Supports up to 16GB of un-buffered non-ECC DDR3 SDRAM.

( i am  left but to  wonder  what  un-buffered non-ECC DDR3 SDRAM   means ????????????

0 Likes
4 Replies
neon
Miniboss

It means that is the type of memory that is compatible with your motherboard.

Buffering and ECC (error correcting code) are features that are mostly used in server systems, and only sometimes supported in desktop systems. So this is just letting you know that you shouldn't get server memory for your desktop system, as it will not work.

You can read more about buffered (aka registered) memory:

Registered memory - Wikipedia

and about ECC memory:

ECC memory - Wikipedia

0 Likes

Un-Buffered - RAM which doesn't have buffering circuitry. Servers are the only ones which need this as they have a large number of chips on the board.

Non-ECC - RAM which doesn't have error correction capabilities. Only necessary in servers, data centers, and other such applications, not for home users.

DDR3 - DDR3 memory chips.

SDRAM - Pretty much the only kind of memory chips manufactured today you can buy.

0 Likes

can i use this   type of un- buffered ram for gaming  or should i purchase a standard DDR 3 RAM module since you have stated that the un buffered is mostly used for servers yet am using the  cpu for light weight gaming  and rendering  and home use only  ?????

what  is likely  to happen  if i install  this type of ram ( un-buffered non-ECC DDR3) module yet  i am using the  cpu  for home use and  light weight gaming use and rendering particularly  using blender 

0 Likes

Standard RAM IS unbuffered non ECC RAM, but there is no way in the universe you will be able to game on that machine, it's built as a cheap office computer. Don't waste your money on a RAM upgrade, it won't do anything.

0 Likes