cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cherkas
Adept I

Ryzen 5/7 2500u/2700u maximum RAM capacity/speed

I am running HP Envy x360 with Ryzen 5 2500u and want to upgrade RAM from 2x4GB Samsung DDR4 2400 CL17 to something larger and possibly faster.

I could not figure out what is the maximum amount of RAM supported. According to HP, they offer maximum 16GB (2x8GB) of 2400 CL17 RAM for this model.

No info on AMD regarding maximum amount, does it mean there is no limit and in theory when 32GB DDR4 modules will appear it will be possible to use 2x32GB, but current maximum is 2x16GB?

I could see there is limit of 2400 MHz for my processor listed on AMD, does anyone have experience trying faster RAM? will it run full speed? downclock to 2400? Will I benefit from 2400 CL14 vs CL17? VEGA 8 looks to be RAM bandwidth limited.

Best regards

10 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Here is some info on the Zen processors.  It may not answer all your questions but hopefully it will get you started...

Zen (microarchitecture) - Wikipedia

See the section on mobile processors.

As far as your laptop is concerned, you will need to choose from the options that HP provides.

HP designs and builds their systems using proprietary motherboards and system BIOS. So there is not a lot of flexibility when it comes to upgrades and replacement parts.

0 Likes

Sorry arcticwind, this did not help, tried myself and here is my practical result:

Ryzen 5 2500U does indeed support 2x16GB DDR4 2400 CL16 on HP Envy x360 15 machine.

Upgraded 2x4GB Samsung 2400MHz CL17 to 2x16GB Balistix Sport (Crucial) 2400MHz CL16 and it works perfectly! Active 2400MHz frequency, dual channel and CL16 verified with CPU-Z and AIDA64 benchmark.

Did not try 2666 RAM as did not have one and got super deal at Saturn.de (58% off) for Balistix 2400 CL16 RAM.

PS. need to update Wikipedia page for Ryzen CPU RAM support.

Super happy with AMD and HP. Cheers!

0 Likes

That's great, I'm glad it worked for you.

Sense the RAM plays such a big part in the operation of the new Ryzen processors, it would be interesting to me if you could post the before and after benchmark numbers for comparison.

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm interested in doing the same upgrade.

Do you know if the RAM you got was single or dual rank - the ram it comes with is single.

I'm running linux - I ran dmidecode, and it says the maximum supported ram is 16GB - (also that the numbers from dmidecode can be wrong).

Would it be possible to run a linux livecd, and see what    dmidecode  outputs ?   I'm interested if it says the same, or if you've got a different version of the bios maybe ?

S

0 Likes

HI, RAM is dual rank, AFAIK single rank 16GB DDR4 SODIMM modules do not exist.

Your RAM is single rank (as also was mine) as it is as little as 4GB per stick.

My RAM part number is BLS16G4S240FSD (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT).

I do not want to bother with DMI info as DMI is often not accurate.

IMG_20180408_113305.jpgMB.pngRAM.pngCPU.png

Thanks !

I bought the exact same sticks of RAM and it is working in Ubuntu.

I made a quick post on /r/amd as more people should probably give it a go, it was a bit scary as it was over 300 quid to get the RAM.   TBH if I knew 64 would work I would have considered it, I think it should work in theory.

0 Likes
johndevries
Journeyman III

I am interested in this as well.

AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics | AMD says that the top frequency is 2400MHz. But has anyone tested faster RAM, like say 2933MHz, supported by desktop Ryzen? The APU would certainly benefit from more bandwidth for gaming!

0 Likes

My 330s-15ARR from Lenovo with Ryzen 7 2700u came with 2666. However, it does only report and clock at 2400. Cpu-z, HWinfo64, aida64, all report it as being 2400mhz, yet the module does indeed have SPD for 1333 (2666) but downclocks to 1200 (2400). Since there is no way in the bios to manually change these things, you can't force it to the higher supported module speed.  Much sad.

alonelyone
Journeyman III

Does the 32gb work with a HP Laptop 15-db0xx? If it does how many mhz can i use? just 2400?

cherkas

0 Likes
alhaqq
Journeyman III

Hello, 

I have the HP 17z-ca000 or whatever it is...Ryzen 5 2500u 16gb DDR4 2400, etc. Pushed it to 32gb 2666--Patriot (cheaper than 2400 from Newegg, figure it would downclock). Seems to work and the memory is recognized; ran the bios memory check, passed. Running Kubuntu 19.04, clean install (with original 16gb) on a M.2 pcie x4 nvme 512gb, with a fast seagate spinner as /home. It's not a high end unit (I assume an "Envy" is), but it was great for the money. 

I'm noticing some weird little glitches--related to usb keys (haven't yet put it to work as my main machine, so haven't noticed major ones yet); while trying to read a file from a known good stick--suddenly the whole system locks up. Tried to make a bootable usb key with start-up disk creator--the app is just non-functional (did a reinstall, same--haven't done full uninstall/purge and reinstall). Also tried "multiwriter" (will write to multiple usb keys at the same time)--app "crashed" and will not launch with any usb key installed (been using it on my ancient debian machine w/ no problems). Never seen anything like this before, so I'm wondering if it's due to the memory (only thing that has changed). 

Any ideas?  Thanks, mike

0 Likes