I just built a new computer:

Win 10 pro 64bit free version

asrock ab350 pro4

ryzen 3 2200g

gskill ripjaws 2x4gb 3200mhz

evga 600 watt psu

W.D. 1 Tb SATA HD

Dell monitor at 64hz 1280x1024

Everything installed wonderfully. I downloaded BF1 demo to give it a try, It would not run due to an error saying I I had a basic display driver. So I went ahead and downloaded the latest drivers from amd.com for the ryzen 3 2200g. The game started right up but while playing there is terrible screen tearing, It made it unplayable, although I played it anyway...the graphics were beautifull! game play was amazing, but I could barely see what was going on with all the white geometric shapes flashing on the screen.

Also I get strange artifacts, pixilation, tearing just on the desktop and in menus so its not just the game. I had to reinstall windows.

Is it a monitor issue?

please help, I know I am not the only person with this same issue.

Thank you

0 Likes
49 Replies
toyota78
Adept I

Bump

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Display driver issue as only on released drivers for Apu atm might have to wait for the next driver set due out soon

0 Likes

Then why is everyone else playing games?

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Not all are has been a lot of bugged drivers from 10 updates with driver updates as well screwing the AMD updates. Suspecting might been a bugged set of drivers from 10 come threw scrabling your AMD chipset drivers. Did you install 10 drivers & OS first then chipset as sometimes can cause a driver clash bug out the build. Done it before by installing the wrong drivers the wrong way.

0 Likes

oh gotchya, well I installed 10 from usb unactivated  then I'm guessing it updated itself, I didn't manually update 10. I installed the amd drivers within a few hours and got the problems right away.

Curently:Version 1709 Build 162999-309

Interestingly I just checked windows update utility and it says its waiting to install 3 amd drivers: Display(Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 3/3/2018 12:00:00 AM - 23.20.832.0) Media, and Security Devices. This is one windows driver store version I have not tried yet the last one I installed was 23.20.827.0 which corresponds to AMD 17.40.3701 driver. which is the radeon software for ryzen processors with vega graphics.

And then there is the chipset drivers 18.10.b released 3/11/18.

gonna have to play around with this maybe I should not install the radeon software, just the chipset drivers? Idk

thanks!

0 Likes

Turn VSYNC on in your game settings. It will take care of the tearing.

Alternatively if your monitor supports FreeSync you can turn on FreeSync in Radeon Settings. (based on you monitor info I doubt it does)

You don't have to put up with tearing. Don't fear there are numerous possibilities to fix this.

0 Likes

I will look for that if I can see past the flashing. And no I dont think it does my monitor is pretty ancient.

thank you!

I tried the windows update in my previous post, that gave me an amd display driver but I just tried to play quake 3 and its impossible.

I also reinstalled the chipset driver from amd's website. I am back to the same symptoms as before.

My concern is that even in my windows start menu I still get little blue pixels here and there and in browser I get the same tearing as in game. So its not just in games.

thaks for the moral support, not sure what to do.

0 Likes

you can also force VSYNC on in the radeon settings and choose to override game settings.

0 Likes

it says AMD Freesync not supported.

Could it be my monitor? or is it a windows issue?

0 Likes

Yes then you don't have free sync monitor. Then you will need to just turn on V-SYNC.  You can do this globally in Radeon Settings. Go to Gaming / Global Settings / Wait for Vertical Refresh / Always On. It won't ever hurt for you to set V-Sync to on in any of your game settings too.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

I tried the settings and I was hopefull, but it did not change anything.

However I managed to click on Default / Yes through the barrage of shapes and colors on the main quake III screen and it miraculously looked totally normal accept for the occasional tear, so its very playable but I have to reset defaults every time to play it. Also turning on and off the Wait for Vertical Refresh option had no effect on it starting up normal or not.

I downloaded the Fog of War demo, tried it with both that option 'always on' and 'always off' and also in the game menu I turned on and off vsync, with no change.

here is a nice screenshot of some psychedelic trees man

ss1.png

0 Likes

I'll try that fog and war demo see what it does to me. I have seen many demos over the years not work right graphically but the release game does. Most recent example of this would be the recent Doom game. The demo has issues but the game is fine.

0 Likes

Okay tried it and IMHO it is a game issue not driver. I have zero issues with any other game using the Unreal Series of Engines. This game should run great and if it is not my best guess is that the problem is on the developer side. Noticed this just went free to play and has sub par reviews on steam. I would not play it as I cant even map movement controls to my mouse buttons as I prefer. In 2018 if a game can't even let you choose buttons for mapping, not worth my time. Maybe they will gain some traction with the free to play model and get the game fixed, or maybe a future driver update will help.

0 Likes
achin5804
Journeyman III

I have the same problem.  I’ve tried all the recommendations in this discussion so far but still no use

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Might be a bug from windows update with 10. Seen a few issues with crapvidia cards exhibiting simular issues coz of the messed up 1709 updates on AMD hardware atm. Not so bad on Craptel Chipsets tho AMD chipsets been really hit hard in some builds. Might pay to talk to Microsoft & ask some questions they usually prety good to talk to if you get the right 1 from support. Suprisingly I have had a good run with support from Microsoft. Tho 1709 has been plagued with issues. I am suggesting its more !0 end than AMD..

plumboby
Miniboss

I play a lot of Unreal engine games without tearing on 18.2.1 driver atm & I play a mix of games I suspect its 10 causing you the issues if the Unreal engine games been fine.

0 Likes

when I get a chance I'm calling Microsoft. just for the heck of it.

0 Likes
sloth62
Adept I

hi, i got the same problem. tried reinstalling drivers, windows 10. even tried two differend apu's (2200g, 2400g) and one gpu (rx570).

I think that the problem is in Win10. Maybe old version of win10 without updates will help.

When I opened windows DVR picture became normal. When closed shitty picture again.

I'll try this when i come home and leave a comment here.

photo_2018-04-06_09-07-37.jpg

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Its a 10 issue coming threw, you not the only 1 suggest to explain the issues in full description to Microsoft about the issues.

0 Likes

tried Microsoft today. Franklin took control of my desktop remotely and downloaded drivers the same way I did a bunch of times. nothing changed, so he said Tier 2 is calling me tomorrow at 10am. big waste of time so far.

Interestingly in BF1 multiplayer I got a super bright light from the enemy side of the map that blinded me, I wasn't sure if it was a defense tactic or not haha. And after playing the Fog of War demo and getting similar blinding lights I think its not just Fog of War but part of the bigger issue. I would do more troubleshooting with older windows 10 updates but I cant risk screwing up my pc entirely as my wife already has a bunch of crap going on.

0 Likes

I've just tried using clean win10 with all latest updates and everything works fine!!!

Now i'm installing clean win10 on my ssd and hope it will work too

0 Likes

nice work! I'm curious do you have a registered copy of windows 10? what is the version and build number? what graphics are you using?

0 Likes

It doesn't matter if it is registered or not.

Video driver is the latest from AMD.com for APU.

Win10 is not the latest version by the way. I don't know which version is it

вс, 8 апр. 2018 г., 20:45 toyota78 <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: screen tearing with new drivers in Graphics

0 Likes

To find the version and build number just right click on the start menu, click System, then scroll down to Windows Specifications

You will should see Edition, Version, and OS Build

0 Likes

Is it correct?

Снимок.PNG

I will install updates now and tell you if it still working okay tommorow

0 Likes
toyota78
Adept I

Yeah that is it, thanks!

Good luck on the update. make sure you create a system restore point before you install updates. If you don't know how just google "how to create system restore on windows 10"

0 Likes

Microsoft told me to talk to AMD, that my hardware is not compatible with the OS.

0 Likes

Microsoft is correct it may not be compatible with 1703. That Processor you are using was released after 1703 but is supposed to be compatible with 1709. You need to update your Windows 10 to the current version. There will also be an even newer version out any day, was delayed form last Tues. Windows 10 has a major upgrade every 6 months and the current drivers only work with the current Windows 10. This is a current message you will see on this site a ton. All updates must be done to use any new driver. So upgrade and see what happens. If you have a licensed version it is free and painless.

0 Likes

You likely will want to do a fresh install too. Trying to upgrade software or hardware on an old unsupported version of an OS with unsupported hardware is typically problematic.

0 Likes

Well I have the latest version, 1709  16299.371, I guess I should try another fresh install....

0 Likes

If it is a pain to start over and you have a spare hard drive you could install to another drive for test purposes and if it helps then redo your installation if that helps. This may not even fix things. I have zero experience with that processor and have no idea if maybe the driver is just broken. But as I said before if you popped new hardware into an existing Windows installation there is not telling if that got done right. A clean install will certainly fix it, if it can be fixed. Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Upgrade to 1709 with your drivers you will need to its not that hard even if its legal. Download a fresh bootable 1709 tool on usb. That microsoft toolkit is good way of force updating with keeping all your settings if you got an activated Digital licence tied to your Microsoft account you should be sweet that licence can be carried over unless its on a OEM licence.  I have lost the odd keys from them on rebuilds but usually end up with getting my keys back by them annoying the support team tho I ended up getting 2 of my keys back & a free be tho I was trying my luck it worked. I do a few more here & there its not to bad to do the 1709 Update you might find the drivers may start behaiving. Your OS is holding you back.

0 Likes

Well Imade a new Bootable USB with the Win. Media tool. Did a clean install with it, updated to the latest build of windows (16299.371) and then downloaded the drivers from AMD. Same results with the display..... Oh well, I rolled back the driver to the windows basic display driver, now I will try AMD support, wish they had a phone number.

0 Likes

Once again. Everything works perfectly on 1703 (15063.966). I disabled

updates

2018-04-15 22:24 GMT+03:00 toyota78 <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

0 Likes

Thank you, i did look into that but didnt find the link or procedure to get 1703 installed from a new install of 1709. I will look deeper

0 Likes

ive got 40 points for anyone who can answer that one. hehe. I already tried windowsiso.net. the link for 1703 took me to Microsoft visual developers something or other site and lost the trail. I'm fearful of trying other sites that might just give me malware.

0 Likes

Why do you want to load 1703 an operating system that DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR CPU?

0 Likes

Who said that 1703 doesn't support 2200g? It is working perfectly. In-game

picture is normal when playing full-screen.

2018-04-16 9:08 GMT+03:00 pokester <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

0 Likes

Not saying at all it wont work. But the OS predates the CPU and does not officially support the CPU. It may work. I am saying that in this case it may not even be a software issue, and them trying to locate an ISO to load an OLD OS likely won't help. Just because it is working for you on your hardware doesn't mean it will for them on theirs. Especially if they have a hardware issue.

0 Likes