Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

joedadi27
Journeyman III

HP 8460p i5 recommended eGPU 2018?

Heya!

I got a couple of HP 8460p i5 laptops and I'm wondering what you may recommend as a newer eGPU to attach thru expresscard.  I heard of the 6470 only.  Is that the only one that may work?  If so is that powerful enough for the games of 2018 like fortnite?

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I would advice you to try the mini pci-expresss gpu adapters instead of the express card, the express card have issues maintaining the pci-e speeds and so the bandwidth.
I advice you to look for an EXP GDC 8.4d with the mini pci-express connector and/or try the really cheap risers used for mining, look for on aliexpress.
The express card version unfortunately cause the pci-e speeds to drop, depending how the express card bridge to the motherboard is build.
If the bridge between the port and the motherboards is not well engineered and decently shielded, you could have pci-e bandwidth drop on high demanding hardware as a gpu.

It is far better to use a mini pci-e adapter that fit on the motherboard replacing the wifi card. The cable management is a bit worst but at least you will get full pci-e speed.

I advice you to look at the egpu.io site, there are plenty egpu builds, even for your laptop, where you can pick example and then discuss here if you still need to.

Please be sure you read a couple of setups to build you an idea regarding the different issues with egpu and how to solve them.

One main thing you should know about egpu, there is only one big issues with the egpu setups and it is the integrated discrete gpu.
Sometimes it is hard to disable the internal gpu to free some space for the external one.
If you would not disable the internal gpu, there would be not enough pci-e resources to host both gpu.
You can disable the internal gpu in the bios if supported, you can to use an external little tool to do that or follow the tips given on the forum about.
If nothing works you can mod your bios to allow the internal gpu to be disabled, but this is quite complicated and risky.
Do not forget also that these kind of setups works well with an external monitor attached to the gpu.
The performances degradation while using the internal laptop display are strong, since the signal need to come back and forth on a ridiculous small pci-e bandwidth.
Just keep these things in mind somewhere.

It will be enough to play fortnite if you get a decent gpu to work with, you should avoid anything lower than a R9 280, GTX770, if you want to get decent gameplay experience.
The more powerful gpu you will get, the more you will remove the side effects of a small bandwidth and having external gpu.
Obviously i mean, do not fit a 1080Ti on a 1x pci-e bandwidth, but on the other hand, do not get low low tier gpu either.
To give you an example i run a Lenovo T530i@3610QM@8GB ram with a R9 270, it is enough to play decently MafiaIII at 720/1080p low.
Fortnite is far less demanding that MafiaIII so it should play well at low settings.

What really matter for the egpu experience is primary your cpu/laptop capability, if it is powerful enough to deliver decent fps and then you egpu.
See here for your laptop: 2011 14" HP 8460P + HD6850@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC BEAST 8.3e) + Win10 [rudavatra]^ – Build Guides – Exte...

0 Likes

When you say mini PCI-e, do you have a link to the correct product I can

buy to ensure I have the right stuff. Definitely getting external

monitors, just trying to do the whole package for less than $500 each. Do

you think there is any possible configuration under $500 to include the

gaming monitors around 24". Also, did you say I would have to use my

wireless card connections for the mini PCI-e? Any tutorials you can refer

me to on how to do that? Thanks again you are a great help!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The mini pci-express is a standard port used for example to connect your laptop wifi card to your laptop motherboard.
It's a standard like your pci-e slot on your desktop motherboard, where you mount your gpu.
You can check yourself what it look like, since you will need to remove the wifi card and replace it by the cable of your egpu dock in order to get your egpu works.
As i said the EC card is much more user friendly and plug and play, but it could have the issues of maintaining full pci-e speeds.
Looking at the port yourself, can firmly check which one is the right one when buying, either a simple mining pci-e riser or a dock like the EXP GDC one.

In Europe where i live i can find second hand, a 24" for +/- 80/150e, a decent gpu for 80/150e, the dock 10/35e.
You are far the 500$ mark if you got everything second hand, what you should definitively do since you own a decent laptop, but still quite quite old!
As i mentioned you will find everything on the site i posted above. You can look for my username, i have a couple of threads about my egpu rig.
You should be able to play fortnite low setting 1080/720p with a decent gpu, since online it will lag/stutter a bit, but still you should be able to get a decent gaming experience.

0 Likes

THE BEST WIFI ADAPTER IS AMD ON ROG ZENITH EXTREME M.B. X399 CHIPSET USB

4.0 MIKRO USB STICK!

ice88888

2018-04-06 18:24 GMT+02:00 wimpzilla <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: HP 8460p i5 recommended eGPU 2018? in Red Team

0 Likes

Thanks, I'll check them out.

0 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I have 4 sons so I hope this will

work just as good as a decent gaming desktop! If you have any other

suggestions...they arrle more than welcome!

0 Likes

http://www.driverscape.com/download/intel%28r%29-qm67-express-chipset-family-lpc-interface-controller---1c4f

2018-04-09 19:32 GMT+02:00 joedadi27@gmail.com <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: HP 8460p i5 recommended eGPU 2018? in Red Team

0 Likes

DONT DOWNLOAD THAT DRIVER

only from the OEM itself - so if you want a Intel driver - go in intel.com and search there for their drivers!

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
sk8boy20020
Journeyman III

Hi i have a hp aw0002la will it be compatible with a beast 8.5 adapter with a mini pcie cable or will i have problems i already had problems with the ngff cable i bought ngff cable and the version 8.5 of adapter it came with ngff will i need to buy 8.0 version and will it be guaranteed to work with my hp aw002la laptop i want to add a amd radeon rx vega 64 8gb gpu please reply thanks 

0 Likes

oh im sorry its hp aw002la

0 Likes